Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dungeon Run Question Dump- post your questions here!

Question about Artifacts. With the exception of the Summoning Stone, all artifacts are "received."

What precisely does that mean? The issue is this, does it go straight to your loot pile, requiring you to spend an action to equip it? Or do you treat it like the result of a search, and can immediately equip it without spending an action?

Questions about battle actions.

"when a hero draws a new monster card, he must immediately battle it - this "surprise" battle is mandatory, but does not count as 1 of the hero's 2 actions for the turn."

Does this count as a "battle action you initiate." for Emma Goodluck's Slow Time or as a battle action for Vargagg's Fury?

Quote Originally Posted by Greyweather View Post
    Question about Artifacts. With the exception of the Summoning Stone, all artifacts are "received."

What precisely does that mean? The issue is this, does it go straight to your loot pile, requiring you to spend an action to equip it? Or do you treat it like the result of a search, and can immediately equip it without spending an action?
    What it means is that all artifacts are given by a specific action in the game and are not randomly selected like the treasures are (you don't shuffle them in the treasure deck, although they accomplish the same characteristics). I think they work the same as when you receive every treasure you can equip it immediately or put it on your loot pile if you want or can't equip it. You don't need an equip action (although I'm not sure, that's how I played it)

Quote Originally Posted by Greyweather View Post
    Does this count as a "battle action you initiate." for Emma Goodluck's Slow Time or as a battle action for Vargagg's Fury?
    No, the monsters initiate this battle action, so the effects of Emma's ability don't apply. But Vargagg's doesn't specify that you need to initiate the battle yourself, just finishing in one (that isin case if you're knocked down or killed). So you can use Fury there.
    Exchange This for a Free Dinner in Hell

Could Paelleall use Far Shot to attack a creature in the Glyph Room?
    Also, would she be able to shoot a creature with the Uber skill?

Quote Originally Posted by KyrenValKyrie View Post
    Could Paelleall use Far Shot to attack a creature in the Glyph Room?
    Also, would she be able to shoot a creature with the Uber skill?
    No to both. While Far Shot lets her make battle actions from a distance, she still has to be able to legally make those battle actions.

Hello Mr. Bistro and everyone else.

First of all, I would like to say that I thoroughly enjoy this game. I wouldn’t be thinking this hard about it if I didn’t. I am planning on running it at an upcoming convention and I wanted to get some questions answered and some other things clarified. I apologize for the large volume of questions, as I said, I love the game, and when I love something, I get invested in it and that means digging into all of the potential it has, and this game has A LOT. It probably doesn’t help that I’ve studied game design before and I play with a lot of cutthroat people, all of which leads me to questioning every potential angle and looking for any little thing that can give you the edge. I also run enough roleplaying and board/card games to want to know the rules ahead of time, rather than having to sit there and deliberate about it during precious game time.

I’ve tried to avoid asking anything that is clearly in the rules, FAQ or elsewhere in the forums, but I could have always missed something, so please let me know if it is actually explained somewhere.

I would also like to hear thoughts on the full disclosure of Artifacts and their abilities to the players. I am planning on at least telling the players at the convention what talents can use a particular Artifact once the source of the Artifact appears. I'm trying to avoid someone with lousy Magic Rating going out of their way to get the Forbidden Tome, just to have buyer's remorse afterwards.

Anyways, thank you all again for your assistance on these queries. I’ve grouped the questions as best I can by category. And now... my mess of questions!

General Rules Questions:

It's been implied in places, but I wanted to make sure that multiple Heroes Assisting in an action does result in all of them adding half of their chosen scores to the assisted Hero even though Sabotage is only ever two dice off regardless of how many are Sabotaging.

If you successfully Escape a Monster and choose an exit that has no tile joined to it, you draw and resolve this with the same placement steps as a Move action. However, the Move action description says that if a tile cannot be placed due to causing blocked exits, you draw another tile. It goes on to say that if no tile can be placed, the Move action is wasted and the Hero cannot move. In the case of Escaping and there is no tile that can be placed, is the Escape action lost and you must Escape from the Monster again? If this is true, does the Monster get a free attack from this (I would think not since the Escape was successful, your departure was where you failed)? I like this being risky in this fashion, making you pick your retreats carefully in some situations.

I assume that the Endgame begins once the Summoning Stone is dropped and continues on until there is a victor (or none in the case of a double-kill). So if there is a double-kill of the Summoner and another Hero or the Summoner and a Monster and the Stone is dropped, the Endgame is still in effect, right?

Just to be clear, you can Sabotage a Hero who is attempting to Escape from you during the Endgame?

During the Endgame, if the Monster's Escape is lower than 4 (such as with the Slime) do you still use that to Escape if there are Heroes present. Likewise with Dorgan's Resolute (since his is set to 6+, even more Monsters will be less than that).

During the Endgame, if you Defeat another Hero, you get all their items automatically as a free action. But before the Endgame, you still have to spend time and pick up their dropped item if you defeat them and knock them out? And during the Endgame, if a Hero is killed by a Monster in the same room as another Hero, they still have to Search to obtain those items, correct?

During the Endgame, you still have to attack monsters before other Heroes, correct?

If a monster roams into a room with the Summoning Stone in it before the Endgame, do they pick it up and roam with it? They should also pick it up even if they roam into a room with the Stone AFTER the Endgame starts, correct? If they do, do they roam as normal, or should they teleport as the boss did?

To cause a reroll, do you have to be involved in the action in some way (battling, Assisting, Sabotaging) or do you just have to be in the room? Could you even be in a different room (I would think not)?

Encounter cards that are used for an Advance action are discarded, presumable into the Encounter discards. Does this mean that in a 5-6 player game, they will be reshuffled and could show back up again? Or should they be removed from the game to avoid this potential?

Are the types of cards in your Loot Pile common knowledge? Thus keeping Stabbins from wasting an action via Pickpocket if the target has no items. What about the number of total cards or the number of a specific type of card in your Loot Pile?

Are the Training Tokens intended to be limited, or can everyone keep adding +1 to Brawn every time they Advance, even beyond the eight that are included? Is this some ploy to get us to purchase another copy of the game?

When a Monster is killed outside of battle, the Monster goes into the Loot Pile of the Hero for what about in the case of Build Trap & Reset Trap (Dorgan) and Minor Ice Wall (Vargagg). If a Monster is killed by these due to roaming, do Dorgan or Vargagg get the credit for the kill or would they go to the 1st Player's Loot Pile due to their causing the Monster to roam into the circumstance in the first place, thus causing their death? I would think that the 1st Player simply gets the assist, which is worth nothing in and of itself, but it could make for an interesting bargaining chip: "If you help me/trade with me, I'll send that Monster into your trap and get you another kill at the end of the round..."

Hero Ability Questions:

This first question is more of a clarification for future possibilities rather than any scenario that I can foresee with the current set. I can envision some new Monster in the expansion that requires an Escape roll of EXACTLY some value and not just the 'equal or greater than some number' rules that the current Monsters have.
    Slippery (Stabbins): If you have a Magic rating of more than 1 (such as by training tokens), do you have to add the bonus as a lump sum or can you add each point individually? For example: Stabbins has a Magic rating of 2 and attempts to Escape. He rolls all 3s and less except for one 5 but wants a 6 in this case. Does he have to add the whole Magic rating of 2, or can he add only 1 point. Since it's "for every point of magic rating, you may add 1 to each die", it sounds as though he could turn the 5 into a 6 and not be forced into having it be a 7.

Sly (Stabbins): If used to switch with a Hero on the Ancient Bridge or Underground Channel tiles, does Stabbins get to choose which side of the Bridge or Channel he is on, or is he considered on the side that the Hero he switched with was on? Also, Stabbins won't be affected by the tile's text due to the Sly ability, but what if he moves OFF those tiles, thus putting the other Hero into those rooms. It says "Sly does not count as movement, so it does not trigger rules about entering a tile" so I would think that they would just end up on the same side that Stabbins was on. And how do things work if Stabbins or the other Hero are in a room with either of Dorgan's Trap cards? Do they not trigger due to this not being "movement?"

Cling (Stabbins): If a Hero is exiting the Portcullis Room with a Move action, you get to make a free Move action to follow. Since you are making a Move action, do you still have to roll for the tile's special rules? Likewise with The Fourth Vessel's Demonic Visage? And what if the Hero is moving into a room affected by the Cursed Stone or Vargagg's Frightening Presence, you can still use this to follow to that room, and then it stops functioning, right? What if the Cursed Stone is draw anew by the Moving Hero? After it is revealed, that Move action is resolved, but then Stabbins cannot Cling due to the ability no longer working, correct?

Pickpocket (Stabbins): Can this action be Sabotaged? If so, can the Hero being targeted Sabotage Stabbins while simultaneously defending against the same action?

Sleight of Hand (Stabbins): Two parts.
    1) Since this must be used before any face down treasure cards are revealed, if there are only face up treasure cards, can the ability still be used? What if there is a mix of face down treasure cards and face up artifacts or only face up artifacts?
    2) If Emma Goodluck is using her Spirit Servant, can Stabbins use this ability to intercept the Search action and if so, would he have to be on the tile with Emma or on the tile Emma is Searching (or could he be on either)?

Voice of the Angry Mountain (Birodin): I assume that this follows normal roaming rules and that special abilities rules that restrict roaming still apply (such as the Mimic's)? It also says "you may roam any Monsters." So does that mean that you could roam some Monsters and not others that are eligible?

Fast Learner (Birodin): Does this mean that he can have more than 5 abilities? If so, The Fourth Vessel could also gain more than 5 due to Magical Mimicry.

Reproachful Gaze (Birodin): This can also block a special Search action such as Dorgan's Possessive, correct? And in the case of Spirit Servant, he would have to be on the same tile with Emma and not just in the room that she is Searching, right?

Aura of Righteous Fear (Birodin): This could be used to off a Boss fairly easily, correct?

Shockingly, my post ran into the character limit...

Here are the rest of my questions:

Hero Ability Questions: (continued)

Spirit Servant (Emma Goodluck): Does this still work if Heroes are present during the Endgame?

Teleport (Emma Goodluck): what happens if she teleports a Stranger to her location and there is a Monster there already? Would the Stranger disappear as they do if a Monster roams to them?

Ghost Form (Emma Goodluck): Do you need to specify a side of the Ancient Bridge or Underground Channel tile that you are on? I see this becoming necessary information for the purposes of Sly (as I asked above) or in the case that Ghost Form is "borrowed" via Magical Mimicry and she suddenly cannot ignore the text.

Rebuke of the Father (Dorgan): Can you use this ability even if the Encounter deck is out of Monsters, such as they have all been defeated and are in Loot Piles or in the case of my Advance action question above, they have all been removed from the game? (or, such as in the case of the Skeleton Warrior, the Monsters are on the board). The rules only speak to if the deck is empty, but in a 5-6 player game, it gets reshuffled.

Build Trap & Reset Trap (Dorgan): What happens if one (or both!) of these are set up in The Den and a monster is generated due to someone entering the room and which would affect the Hero first, the trap(s) or the initial monster battle (or would you not even roll for an encounter until after you survived the trap(s)? Likewise, if the trap is on the Ancient Bridge or Underground Channel tile, do you deal with the trap first or the tile's abilities? Finally, can you set these cards on or in an adjacent room to the Cursed Stone? Since they are abilities, it would follow that you cannot.

Direction Sense (Dorgan): If none of the three tiles can be placed legally, do you only draw one new tile or three new tiles when trying again? I would think three.

Magical Mimicry (Fourth Vessel): Even though you can't use it, you can still "borrow" cards such as Dorgan's Trap cards, thus keeping the other Hero from using them, correct?

Third Arm (Fourth Vessel): What happens if you suddenly lose the use of this ability, such as from the Cursed Stone or Vargagg's Frightening Presence (either use)? Do you drop any item being used by that hand, or does it just unequip and go into your Loot Pile, thus meaning that you would have to use an Equip action to put that item back into play? Alternatively, do you just lose access to that item, it is still equipped, but inaccessible due to the Third Arm being suppressed (though this would obviously not be the case if Frightening Presence's permanent removal option was used)?

Ignore Pain (Fourth Vessel): Does not work on Trap cards, correct? If so, does Dorgan's Trap cards count as from a Hero or from a Trap?

Malignant Tumor (Fourth Vessel): Do the extra wound markers from Birodin's Retribution count as "from another Hero" for this ability? Likewise for the damage from a failed Pickpocket (which would have to have been "borrowed" from Stabbins via Magical Mimicry). Same question about Dorgan's Trap cards, if they are considered as damage from a Hero, they could be backlashed against via this ability.

Blood Magic (Fourth Vessel): Can you use this to deliberately defeat yourself resulting in a knock-out or kill if during Endgame?

Infernal Pact (Fourth Vessel): Same as above, can you defeat yourself with this?

Burn (Paelleall): As with Blood Magic & Infernal Pact, can you use this to defeat yourself? It says "hero you share a tile with", and you can't get more space sharing than with yourself...

Blaze Step (Paelleall): Can you still use this free Move action during the Endgame if there are Heroes present? I would think not.

Hunt and Forage (Paelleall): Can this be used in The Den since you are not rolling for the possibility of Treasure there? I would think so.

Far Shot (Paelleall): Can you be damaged via Infernal Pact (Fourth Vessel) or Furious Defense (Vargagg) when using this ability?

Protector (Addolgar Vayne): Since it says "you can", is it optional to give just the half of your ability instead of the full? This might be preferred in the case of the Fourth Vessel using Magical Mimicry on Benevolent Presence, which forces another Hero to assist you if you ask.

Transference (Addolgar Vayne): Since knocked-out Heroes cannot be targeted, you cannot use this card to move their wound markers, correct?

Divine Strength (Addolgar Vayne): Since a knocked-out Hero cannot be targeted, are knocked-out Heroes skipped by the healing of this ability? It does say every hero that is "still alive." [insert "Cake-is-a-Lie" joke here]

Holy Judgment (Addolgar Vayne): As with others before, can you self-defeat using this card?

Fury (Vargagg): Are you allowed to Fury again against someone who uses the Healing Potion? It sounds like you would be able to since the Potion says "you were not defeated" when you use it.

Berserk (Vargagg): If using this causes your wounds to equal your Life rating, are you immediately defeated or does the Battle action complete first? If it is immediate, can you use this during the Endgame to off yourself instead of letting the other Hero kill you. Since when a Hero kills another Hero during the Endgame they automatically get their items instead of them dropping, I can see this as a viable "screw you" option because they would then have to pick up the items with a Search action.

Dungeon Tile Questions:

Cursed Stone: It says adjacent and adjacent means that the tiles share an exit. This means that it can only affect at most 4 tiles: itself and the three rooms that it exits to since the one along the remaining side of the tile does not have an exit on it. Just checking if I'm interpreting that correctly.

Ancient Bridge & Underground Channel tiles: I would think that it would be good practice (and I plan on doing it when I play this game) that you place your figure on the side of the tile that you are currently on. This avoids the potential issues with Sly and Ghost Form that I spoke about above. Unless someone can give me a convincing argument otherwise...

Encounter Card Questions:

Teleport Glyph: Do you count as entering that tile when you are moved there? This could be very bad in the case of low Skill Heroes and the Ancient Bridge...

Treasure Card Questions:

Helm of Seeing: Does this still negate the Cloak of Shadows even if they are not trying to escape from you? Since the Monster is not wearing the Helm, it seems odd that it would.

Fire Wand: This adds to your Brawn? Not to your Magic? That seems backwards to me.

Familiar: If this is taken via Illusionary Charisma or traded normally, does the Familiar become "unequipped" for a moment as part of the action, thus causing it to be discarded instead of transferred to the other Hero? And if it does transfer, does the new Hero roll for new wound markers since it is "the first time" they equip the card? If so, would the new wound markers just add to any already present?

Lastly, what is the time frame for the sequel, and do you need playtesters?

I canít wait to see what goodies (and horrors) are going to be in there...

I would just tell people what the artifacts do. They aren't supposed to be secret. I understand some would like to avoid flooding new players with information but the artifacts are pretty simple.

Unfortunately I don't have time to look through the questions, but I'll try to remember to check tomorrow if they've been answered yet. I should know a few of these.
    Playdek ID: Adam Palma
    Your mom's a cat!

Great googly moogly ThiefKing! My poor brain just exploded from trying to take in the scope of your questions.

I wouldnt feel comfortable answering all of these questions without sitting down with the rulebook, but I will say that many, if not most of these questions are answered there or in the FAQ. Perhaps I can sit down sometime in the near future, and point you in the right direction. I will say that when it comes to conventions it's always best to be open with information. I think you had the right idea with artifacts. When I run a demo of DR, I'll explain things as they pop up, and usually offer 1 or 2 points of light strategic advice.

If you are playing Vargagg and have 6 (out of 7) damage and use berserk to re-roll your dice, do you re-roll, do your damage and THEN die, or do you die as soon as the ability is played?

Quote Originally Posted by Toshiakisama View Post
    If you are playing Vargagg and have 6 (out of 7) damage and use berserk to re-roll your dice, do you re-roll, do your damage and THEN die, or do you die as soon as the ability is played?
    The wound is placed first.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast