Thread: Rallul strategy

Default Rallul strategy

Hi All, I would like to get inputs from all experienced players with Rallul.

In general I have played him less than 10 times on the app, and never in real life. My experience so far with him:

Against him: I normally play as Ret Talus which does not help, but in general I feel it is very difficult to attack him properly for the following reasons:

-I cannot get my summoner close to him (Magic pulse can kill any summoner or champ).
    - If I attack him with commons I get close to his stone golems which tend to be stronger than my commons. their only limitation is they cannot go fast and attack, but if I get close to them then they dont have that problem.
    - I feel the urge to attack because he will be using draw power turn after turn, making his hand bigger and having more and more options each turn.
    - He has etch.
    - He has Rune Mages, so it is tricky to place attacking walls.

Honestly, when I play against him I feel the only chance I have, is to go super offensive, attack walls and pray. And normally I lose at the end, when they use the golems as walls, then builds magic and summons at the same time, and transfers wounds from walls and stone golems to my units, and after the turn is over I am surrounded by units and the game is mostly over.

As crazy and broken as it sounds, I see all that danger when I am playing against him, but when I play as Rallul, I feel so lost with so many options, and also because I normally when I play SW I want to build magic, but with him, instead, I need to keep the magic in my hand and use it at the right time when I have all the cards I need for a proper strike, but honestly I dont feel like I am superior ( I feel inferior when I play against him) probably because I dont have enough experience with him.

I would like to hear from the experts on this forum on how to play him properly and what is the best counter in general when you play against ?him?

I've never played Merc.

More or less same feeling/strategy:

My strategy: attack fast in the very early game when Rallul is the weakest... unfortunately he starts with 2 SG which are good in defense.
    Try to wound Rallul enough to avoid Magic pulse.
    And pray... Rallul have so many unpredictables Combos... his events are OP.

With DD it's possible to win without attacking immediately thanks to meditate.
    Last edited by Batou31; 01-29-2019 at 05:11 PM.

Heyhey,
    so indeed I share your feeling vs. Rallul especially with factions that can't avoid huge magic pulse or fury turns. Currently in a lot of matches (depending on your faction) it is best to move in early and pick apart some units and get extra hits on the wall and "pray" rallul doesn't get fury and another wall too early. Even so, golems trade well, you can abuse their lacking mobility and force Rallul to summon more, which means he can rarely build up this threatning hand. Now just pray his draw is rather bad, that's all I can give as advice

Well, there is a reason why people rated rallul S-class and why with Tundle he got the highest rating in our survey. Even worse, he got quite some extra power with Farrah (changeling+runesmith) and Glurblubb (Turt) resulting IMO in the best deck of the game (due to the app, a lot of player forget about Urick). For our errata project we weakend Etch significantly, gave Turt a SO symbol, capped Ralluls AV with magic pulse to a total of 6 and nerfed fury quite a bit. The deck is still very strong, even after these severe limitations, which tells a lot!

When you play Rallul, there is a small weak window in the early game, where you really need to draw that second wall to keep on massing cards in your hand. Further, you want a golem on top of your magic pile (and an early rune smith if you play with farrahs commons) so that you get them easily in your discard pile. This is important for "reform stone" and "changeling into runesmith". So normally I build my first hand to some extend (don't go first or if you do don't use draw power) to end up with less than 5 cards in turn 1. This way with draw power you increase your chances of drawing a wall, wall transfer+fury or reform stone + channeled summon. With channel summon, you can destroy your wall with draw power, use channeled summon to summon from golems and reform the wall that moved out of your magic pile into your discard pile. Use the starting golems to protect your wall, every wound on it will decreases your draw power use and you might not be able to continue with draw power to get the second wall/regenerate the starting one.

Once you have either recycled your starting wall, got a new one or could use wall transfer+fury you normally have enough draw powers to get a healthy hand. Once 2-3 walls are on the field, transfer + fury is up and one pulse with 5-6 possible cards to build are in your hand you normally will win the game. Add in Urick for the one hit kill combo and etch for the slow magic engine and you are set up properly. Further, with a massive hand you can mount a huge game ending push with channel summon + 2-3 golems + units to close the game (you can use magic pulse to generate a lot of magic in the same turn, even if you don't attack with Rallul).

Just to add to what other players have said, Rallul's deck typically revolves around magic pulse. If they did 1 and only 1 errata, I would suggest they limit his charge up to +5 like swamp dominion.

On draw #1 (which is either turn 1 or turn 2 depending on who goes first), Rallul draws his first 5 cards. But then he's immediately able to get 2 more. The raw odds he drew a magic pulse is 12/27 = 44.4%.

On draw #2, let's presume, as in most cases, he hasn't burned any of his starting cards. Rallul draws 2. Now it's important not to presume that he didn't get his magic pulses on the first turn. He might have. Speaking in terms of raw odds, he has a 2/27 chance, or 7.4% of drawing a magic pulse.

This is what the raw odds look like from each draw to the next, and the number of cards he'd have in his hand:

__odds%_____#cards_____Max AV__dmg/AV____avg dmg
    0. 7.41%_____2 cards_____3AV_____2.00______1.38
    1. 25.9%_____7 cards_____8AV_____5.33______2.37
    2. 33.3%_____9 cards_____10AV____6.67______3.11
    3. 40.7%_____11 cards____12AV____8.00______4.05
    4. 48.2%_____13 cards____14AV____9.33______5.18
    5. 55.6%_____15 cards____16AV____10.67_____6.52
    6. 63.0%_____17 cards____18AV____12.00_____8.05
    7. 70.4%_____19 cards____20AV____13.33_____9.77
    8. 77.8%_____21 cards____22AV____14.67 ____ 11.70
    9. 85.2%_____23 cards____24AV____16.00_____13.82
    10. 92.6%____25 cards____26AV____17.33_____16.14
    11. 100.0%___27 cards____28AV____18.67_____18.66

Note: he can draw 2 cards if he starts first, which I've termed turn 0.

On draw #1, with 1 magic pulse, he has 7 cards in his hand and is potentially capable of launching 8 dice at your summoner. That alone has a small chance of finishing most summoners off.

As you can see from the list above, he needs only 2 draws in order to have enough AV to potentially and reliably kill off a 6 health summoner. Just 1 for a 5 health summoner, and 3 for a 7 health summoner.

But when does Rallul's average damage reach critical? For 6 health summoners, it's at draw #5. that's when Rallul will have a better than 50.0% chance of packing a Magic Pulse.

If you want to gamble that Rallul has not drawn magic pulse on the first few turns, which is of course entirely reasonable, those numbers look like this:

__odds%_____#cards_____Max AV__#avg dmg
    0. 7.41%_____2 cards_____3AV_____2.00
    1. 20.0%_____7 cards_____8AV_____5.33
    2. 10.0%_____9 cards_____10AV____6.67
    3. 11.1%_____11 cards____12AV____8.00
    4. 12.5%_____13 cards____14AV____9.33
    5. 14.3%_____15 cards____16AV____10.67
    6. 16.7%_____17 cards____18AV____12.00
    7. 20.0%_____19 cards____20AV____13.33
    8. 25.0%_____21 cards____22AV____14.67
    9. 33.3%_____23 cards____24AV____16.00
    10. 50.0%____25 cards____26AV____17.33
    11. 100.0%___27 cards____28AV____18.67

Therefore, you can say that most of the time, he doesn't immediately draw magic pulse, and from one turn to the next, early on he only has around a 10.0% chance of drawing it the next turn. That number accelerates faster and faster after turn 6 though.
    Last edited by Rdebruys83; 05-23-2019 at 02:40 PM.

Generally, in order to beat Rallul you need to:

1. apply early pressure: force him to spend resources. If you leave him alone, the nuclear clock begins ticking, 2 cards at a time. he also might have a bad draw. bad draws are more devastating for Rallul than most summoners. if you get that sense, then start trying to trade off units with him;

2. get early potshots against Rallul if possible: This will cost you resources, but if you can get any hits on him, it severely affects his ability to challenge the midfield;

3. use range. Range will help apply pressure. without Mundol, Rallul doesn't have a lot of good strong range options. Hitting Rallul from Range, forcing him to summon stone golems, and hitting stone golems from range, are great ways to keep the heat on. You also don't want to commit too much into his backfield, that's where all his magic happens.

4. bait him into wasting his magic pulse: if you are playing against him right, you've got him wasting resources to fight off your pressure. then his only option to finish your champ is a magic pulse. At that point, he's depleted enough of his resources that he can't load another, you can start pushing deeper.

5. cover your walls: I've covered this topic before, but you basically need to keep your walls off the line of scrimmage. Rallul can Event Phase-summon Rune Mages that will just ruin your day.

There are a number of reasons why Ret specifically is bad against Rallul. The biggest one is Ret lacks range. For this reason, consider using Sairook. Sairook has a relatively low summon cost, can be event phase summoned using Forced Summon, and can either be offered up to eat a Magic Pulse, or put back in your hand to potshot Rallul again.

At least with Cultists you can possibly get a hit back when they are destroyed. you need champs with range, and you should be using Forced Summon to do event phase summons to hit Rallul if possible. It doesn't matter if Ret's got 1 health or 5, Rallul's got the tools to blow him away.

On the other hand, Oldins one of the better MUs, playing the style I mentioned above. He can apply pressure with ballistas, Thorkur, and his events while maintaining distance between him and Rallul. Oldin's also got Event Phase summons that can get those crucial potshots on Rallul, especially using Heroic Feat. Bow Grounders and HF are a good combo for pot shots too. Also, with Gror at 7 health, he's a Magic Pulse magnet who's tough to kill. He can cause Rallul to blow his wad all at once, leaving him exposed in the late game. And then of course there's Baldar, who's Magic Pulse proof.

Then there's Krusk. Krusk's got units and events that prevent range, that helps stifle Rallul. He's also got an event phase summon that can be used to potshot Rallul. He's got the right unit in a Shaman to deliver that potshot. What's more, he's got cheap high health champs that can be used to bait a Magic Pulse, and he's got Silts, who can use his trickery to keep Rallul at bay. Krusk isn't bad against Rallul. Consider using Lucky to maximize your success on potshots.

Grognack's not bad either. He's got tons of health, just like his champs, plus he's got Freeze. This automatically forces Rallul to waste resources. Rune Mages are not as effective against Grog because of his ability. Guess what, Grog's also got event phase summon potential. When you're using Grog, make sure you include shamans. They have good health, low cost, and add range. Then of course - thwarters. Magic Pulse proof. In combination with shamans they can pick apart Rallul's units with low exposure.

There are only a few summoners that could sit back on Rallul - Tacullu and Tundle are at the top of my mind.

Tacullu destroys Rallul. The obvious reason is mimic. But he's got a lot of other tools. Kalal and Breakers will ruin Rallul's deck. Mind control will ruin Rune Mages. Tacullu's also got good range potential.

I haven't had much success with Tundle against Rallul. I'm not sure what other players are doing.

Now there's one other thing I'd like to mention.

there's a general understanding that no Rallul mercs can be used outside of Rallul. Ironically though, Rallul's mercs can be somewhat effectively used against him, especially in turning weaker MUs into more competitive MUs.

For example, Mundol and apprentice mages are a great addition to any deck that lacks range.

In Ret for example, apprentice mages are good for Elut Bal and dark sacrifice, and Mundol is good for delivering damage at range.

Rune Mages are also a good choice, because they combo with Mundol to deliver 2 AV from a 2 health unit, which makes them hard to kill.

Then there's Etch. He basically does what Tundle can do and allow you sit back.

And I ask you, if it's not fair to use Rallul mercs outside of Rallul, then why can't you use Rallul mercs against Rallul?
    Last edited by Rdebruys83; 05-22-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdebruys83 View Post
    Generally, in order to beat Rallul you need to:

1. apply early pressure: force him to spend resources. If you leave him alone, the nuclear clock begins ticking, 2 cards at a time. he also might have a bad draw. bad draws are more devastating for Rallul than most summoners. if you get that sense, then start trying to trade off units with him;

2. get early potshots against Rallul if possible: This will cost you resources, but if you can get any hits on him, it severely affects his ability to challenge the midfield;

3. use range. Range will help apply pressure. without Mundol, Rallul doesn't have a lot of good strong range options. Hitting Rallul from Range, forcing him to summon stone golems, and hitting stone golems from range, are great ways to keep the heat on. You also don't want to commit too much into his backfield, that's where all his magic happens.

4. bait him into wasting his magic pulse: if you are playing against him right, you've got him wasting resources to fight off your pressure. then his only option to finish your champ is a magic pulse. At that point, he's depleted enough of his resources that he can't load another, you can start pushing deeper.

5. cover your walls: I've covered this topic before, but you basically need to keep your walls off the line of scrimmage. Rallul can Event Phase-summon Rune Mages that will just ruin your day.

There are a number of reasons why Ret specifically is bad against Rallul. The biggest one is Ret lacks range. For this reason, consider using Sairook. Sairook has a relatively low summon cost, can be event phase summoned using Forced Summon, and can either be offered up to eat a Magic Pulse, or put back in your hand to potshot Rallul again.

At least with Cultists you can possibly get a hit back when they are destroyed. you need champs with range, and you should be using Forced Summon to do event phase summons to hit Rallul if possible. It doesn't matter if Ret's got 1 health or 5, Rallul's got the tools to blow him away.

On the other hand, Oldins one of the better MUs, playing the style I mentioned above. He can apply pressure with ballistas, Thorkur, and his events while maintaining distance between him and Rallul. Oldin's also got Event Phase summons that can get those crucial potshots on Rallul, especially using Heroic Feat. Bow Grounders and HF are a good combo for pot shots too. Also, with Gror at 7 health, he's a Magic Pulse magnet who's tough to kill. He can cause Rallul to blow his wad all at once, leaving him exposed in the late game. And then of course there's Baldar, who's Magic Pulse proof.

Then there's Krusk. Krusk's got units and events that prevent range, that helps stifle Rallul. He's also got an event phase summon that can be used to potshot Rallul. He's got the right unit in a Shaman to deliver that potshot. What's more, he's got cheap high health champs that can be used to bait a Magic Pulse, and he's got Silts, who can use his trickery to keep Rallul at bay. Krusk isn't bad against Rallul. Consider using Lucky to maximize your success on potshots.

Grognack's not bad either. He's got tons of health, just like his champs, plus he's got Freeze. This automatically forces Rallul to waste resources. Rune Mages are not as effective against Grog because of his ability. Guess what, Grog's also got event phase summon potential. When you're using Grog, make sure you include shamans. They have good health, low cost, and add range. Then of course - thwarters. Magic Pulse proof. In combination with shamans they can pick apart Rallul's units with low exposure.

There are only a few summoners that could sit back on Rallul - Tacullu and Tundle are at the top of my mind.

Tacullu destroys Rallul. The obvious reason is mimic. But he's got a lot of other tools. Kalal and Breakers will ruin Rallul's deck. Mind control will ruin Rune Mages. Tacullu's also got good range potential.

I haven't had much success with Tundle against Rallul. I'm not sure what other players are doing.

Now there's one other thing I'd like to mention.

there's a general understanding that no Rallul mercs can be used outside of Rallul. Ironically though, Rallul's mercs can be somewhat effectively used against him, especially in turning weaker MUs into more competitive MUs.

For example, Mundol and apprentice mages are a great addition to any deck that lacks range.

In Ret for example, apprentice mages are good for Elut Bal and dark sacrifice, and Mundol is good for delivering damage at range.

Rune Mages are also a good choice, because they combo with Mundol to deliver 2 AV from a 2 health unit, which makes them hard to kill.

Then there's Etch. He basically does what Tundle can do and allow you sit back.

And I ask you, if it's not fair to use Rallul mercs outside of Rallul, then why can't you use Rallul mercs against Rallul?
    Thanks for the comprehensive explanation!

regarding your last question, it would be nice on the app to know whicch summoner you are playing against and later be able to deckbuild instead of blindly building.

I think it would be fair to use Rallul units against him, but, as I said, we dont know if we are playing against Rallul.

I know my general policy is that when I win and they request a rematch, I keep my build the same. I don't know how common that is.

Feel free to send me an invite in the next couple of weeks and I'll join as Rallul if you want to bust your chops against him. Using Rallul mercs against Rallul is fair game for me.

I remember when Rallul came out along with Filth Dema, I hated Rallul introduction and what his unit can offer for other faction. I especially found that Rune Mage was a huge mistake for a card that can be slotted into everywhere, playtesting definitely needed more on RM and other like Etch. I left the game soon after for personal reason, so I did't really see any aftermath Rallul lineup caused.

Magic Drain as an event is not bad (not good neither), it keeps this game from being a mass-dump-fest, and offer a slight mindgame of push your luck or not... It's crazy to think they put a mini Magic Drain on an unit that goes in everywhere. Also I think having a pure combo style of a deck is rather blend in SW, not really is what the game needed, especially during that time. I am glad to see the 2nd Summoner stuff is such a fresh air to the game, because I've found the first generation of Summoners are only revolving around a few mechanics and needed some real unique mechanism to the mix
    Last edited by Sauam; 06-09-2019 at 09:26 PM.