Thread: New players, best base decks to introduce them to SW?

Default New players, best base decks to introduce them to SW?

Hi all, I will try to introduce some friends into this world, I own their whole SW collection, which decks would you chose to teach the game? I would like it to be fun and easy as possible.

Thanks.

I almost always give them prince elien, and i play sneeks against them. The major reason for this is so they can easily transition to the app and learn more efficiently on their own time. I can usually only play 2-3 games on those nights, so I like them to be able to continue to learn decks on the platform that keeps them from interpreting rules incorrectly.

If i have 2 new guys, ill give one them Grognack instead of sneeks, because they are reasonably balanced and both are easy to play intelligently with.

Most of the time I propse Oldin because he is strong and easy to play, and players want quickly to discover the reinforcement.
    Ret is cool also because UD their theme is the most understandable.
    Last edited by Batou31; 11-12-2018 at 04:02 PM.

i generally Use Mad Sirian and Frick or sam.
    The last person I introduced the game to, was a few months ago, a non gamer and I got her hooked. I used Mad sirian and Sunder.
    But before that I went wild and used Iellien and Eldritch and worked fine.
    Last edited by Waterd; 11-12-2018 at 08:26 PM.

I think
    Nikuya Na, Oldin, Frick and Sam are a good mix of "easy to play" and "strategic depth" for interesting starting games.

I think Niki provides some Summoner based push deck, Oldin an ease to play heavy champ deck (Reinforcement + magic drain helps beginners to actually get out a champ, normally beginner tend to summon too much commons and can't accumulate enough magic), Frick shows event based explosive play + swarm style and Sam a event based summoner with a "protective" play style.

Try to avoid special conditions or game changers in the first games, so Oldin should be played by the new player (you don't want to scare people of with a double hf+gror). But I also try to avoid special rules, like VW or conjurations or complicated rules/units like EA, Mutations to focus the first games on the core rules/reduce complexity.

I played yesterday Grog vs Sundy (he was grog) and he liked the game... he used too many commons and I allowed him to win by a “Mistake” as he was very unlucky with the rolls and I did not want to scare him of about bad rolls (it happened once that a hard core gamer was very disappointed of the game because his rolls were too bad so never wanted to try again).

I used the rule from Waterd variant of self killing does not provide you with magic... I did not tell him but he did not think of killing himself at all so I did not do it either.

Thanks for the advice.

My favorite starter summoner is sunderved as he is simply to get the gist of but get strategically interesting with skill. Oldin, Prince Elien and Grog are great starters but the least fun for experience players
    App username: Let's play a game!