Thread: Hulgorad + Urick

Default Hulgorad + Urick

has anyone ever tried this? Seems like a good combo. Any suggestions for deckbuilds?

I have seen this a lot in the old "live meta" when the first summoners were done. This was basically the APP meta, however for some reasons in the app they excluded the power mercs (this is good and bad but noone really knows why they didn't include them). At that time, a lot of decks couldn't field more than one high AV + high life champ an we saw A LOT of Urick+Rygos+Hulgorath builds ... sometimes only two of them, sometimes all three. Examples were Ret Talus with Urick + Hulgorath + Skull/Elut for great sacrifice turns or Rygos + Urick in Benders (Rygos + controller interaction, Urick to knock away weak targets. But ofc the climax was the famous "bastard style" Demagoge deck from I LIKE TAU that changed the way people played Dema. He basically played with all three of them and only 3-4 commons in draw, rest mutants to recycle magic. That setup was long considered the most powerful deck of the game (it probably still is one of the strongest).

So I guess you want to use Urick to push Hulgorad into a perfect spot? There were even debates if Hulgorath moves via gore AND urick pushes him another 3 spaces if Hulgorad ends up with 5AV but I forgot what was the conclusion. I have seen the two champs a lot in that old time and both are good units (especially Urick) but I have seen the knockaround only 2-3 times! I guess it's really hard to setup 2 champs with a total of 15 magic cost and then you even rist your 8 cost champ to loose 2 life in the process.

I think nowadays Hulgorad is not as hot anymore, as nearly all factions have very efficiant champs, with at least one having equal size (for example Haku for Benders or Turt for SO and HellfireDrake for FK). I still like Rygos and Urick, as they have a unique ability that is sometimes more valueable to me. With the second summoners around the old "heavy champs stomp style" is also much much weaker than before and at least I have much more success in fielding very efficiant middle sized champs (Glarg, Satara, Grog, Noa and so on).

Anyway good place for this combo is for sure

Dema (see above) but also Sirian (field Gouls to knockaround them with Urick, Urick to know guys into Sirians range. Then searching the stone + wall to get Hulgorath in a great spot to directly gore OR setup a Urick knockaround). Sera to some extend, as you have SS+Wall AND she likes heavy champs to make sure she can heal them in time.

Rygos and Urick would have great synergy - Rygos attacks, Urick knocks the attacked enemy back, Rygos uses his ability at the end of the attack phase. Together that's slightly stronger than 6 dice - good for 4.33 wounds.

Hulgorad and Urick are good because Urick can put the opponent where he needs to be in order for Hulgorad to get his dice bonus. Urick's 1.33 + Hulgorad's 2.66 = 4 wounds. So Rygos and Urick are slightly more effective than Hulgorad and Urick.

But all three units attacking together, when adding in Rygos' power is good for 7 wounds - enough to kill in one turn all but the strongest opponents.

That's a great combo, but expensive. Very expensive.

Yeah as I said, there was a reason why at some point in the meta the 3 power champs were seen in a lot of decks. And you are right, one of the most annoying thing was the hidden synergy of the three champs (especially via Urick). Because of the huge cost, it also created that rather boring "pure heavy champ only" strategy.

At some points more and more very efficiant commons got introduced (or decks that can get a lot of commons rather cheap) and the pure heavy champ style got a bit weaker. On top a lot of factions just got better options that have powerful stats AND the faction symbol or still have great stats and undercost (Turt, Haku, Dinky, Cyrus, S.Eater, etc.).

@Urick - don't forget he still misses 11% of the time, so you want to make sure that you do not loose the game if that happens. I strongly advice you not to plan a Urick turn + Hulgorad's gore-attack if it's not absolutely crucial to win. If Urick wiffs, you will do 0 damage on a turn, while summoned for 17! cards of magic. If the opponent's retaliation in decent you will most probably loose the game

Rygos+Urick push for clean shot = 5AV + 0.89% for an additional damage = 3.33 + 0.89 = 4.22
    Urick push + Gore Hulgorad = 2 AV + 0.89% for 4 AV = 3.70

Yep good call, that definitely shows Rygos and Urick are even better.

What do you think of maybe throwing in Khan Queso? You lose 3 health, 1-2 dice, and 5 magic, totalling 17 magic for 3 champs, which isn't too bad, that should leave room for some commons. Or is there any other champ to go with Rygos/urick? I note that Admiral, though costly, would give the pair of them a lot of extra mileage.

I recently tried admiral + kyra + fink in jexik and I felt that there wasn't enough health between all 3 of them (only 15 for 3 champs)
    Last edited by Rdebruys83; 09-07-2018 at 11:16 PM.

hmm In Jexik I feel 2 ranged champs are a good idea, as Jexik himself doesn't have range symbol, yet the deck is made for hit and run/cover up. I normally only play one of the Fink and Kyria. They both do not stand their ground by themself and you need to cover them either with renegates (move renegate, shoot with champ, move instead of attacking with renegate to block/cover the champ) or cheep blocker. This is where you should get a lot of life from. Also it's were admiral is at it's best. If a renegate takes 1 wound, you wound it, if it takes 2 wounds you might cover it or not (depending on the situation) but if the opponent gets lucky and 3-4 wounds are places, you just let it die.

If you play with admiral in Jexik, I personally like to have 1 glass canon, 1 solid champ and then a good mix of solid and valuable units as commons. Example:

Admiral, Cyria, Spider (has solid stats for his cost) with 5 renegates, 5 slasher/thiefs and 4 sniper

or

Admiral, Fink, Mingle (so you can use cloak events) with some renegates, assassins, sniper, bruiser/demonhands -> cheeper champ cost allows for stronger commons in the mix.

@heavy mercs
    I honestly do not use more than one of these in any deck anymore, as I think each deck has better options. However, I do like Rygos and Urick alone in several decks. Hulgorath can be played in a some others as well, but then I don't like to bring another 7 cost unit.

Rygos is still very strong in Tundle (stats, great interaction with Kyndar) and Bender decks with controllers. I also like him in Sera sometimes (vs. factions that can one hit kill your 5 life champs too easily) and even in Sunderved (brutpush and stormmages to do 3 direct damage)

Urick is just cool (but not necessarily good) everywhere but shines in Rallul (push rallul to finish opponent with huge magic pulse or push opponent into ralluls range) and Sirian (to push targets into sirians attack to heal sirian, push Ghouls or other champs + ritual to assassinate).

Hulgorath still works good in Ret-Talus but is often overshadowed by Hellfire drake and other champs. Also can do well in offensive Rallul

Hulgorad is extremely good in Frick, who can summon after a fresh wall placement even without having fewer units than opponent, and who has Clingers around to protect Hulgo.

Urick seems good for similar reasons, mostly against aggressive summoners. I don't know about playing them for the combo, though.