Thread: Warden Deckbuilds

Default Warden Deckbuilds

We are on Warden now for your Errata Project and I think I will need to play some more games first to get used to him again, I'm quite rusty. However I also realized how many different options you have when playing with warden. I personally really like the decks that are mostly independent of the prison pile (no Hester, no Scabbicus), since they are much easier to play. I think Wardens event-set is already pretty difficult to use optimally, so I try to avoid the heavy prisoner depending units.

So I currently have 3 decks to play using this style, but if someone made fantastic experience with a prison-pile centered build I'm also interested

1) cheep champs + lots of elite commons
    dibs, Blarf, Mook/S.Eater + demonhands, 1 taskmaster, 2-3 filth commons, 6 mutations (Tusk, spring, spew, bone, claw, amoeba/spike).

Idea is to have a very flexible deck, that has even some reasonable assassination, can trade very well and has some strong anti champ power. Demonhands are fantastic in this deck thanks to overwork and the way enlist works.

2) heavy champ + cheep commons
    Feeder, Mook, S.Eater + prisoners + 1 taskmaster + 3 filth and 6 mutants - mostly heavy hitters, anti champ and amoeba for the magic efficiancy

Here the idea would be to have extreme strong midfield power, with 3 heavy champs, great damage output via mutations and CG that get the mook bonus. Relies much more on living shield than the above one and has a tight magic curve and is less flexible but should trade units exceptionally well.

3) Super CG power
    Feeder, Mook, Dibs (low cost) or s.eater, Berserker, 1 taskmaster, 2-3 filth (Tusk, spring, spew, bone, claw, amoeba/spike).

Very close to the 1st one but concentrates a bit more into the interaction of living shield, feeder and mook. Is probably even stronger midfield then 1) but misses out a bit on assassination.

So I''m very interested what kind of decks you guys play with him

Hey buddy, there's a pretty big thread here: https://www.plaidhatgames.com/sum_fo...ghlight=warden. A ton of great/good players with comments: Waterd, Prome, owlord, Irisches Glueck, killercactus, Prelate, etc.

I worry you may be trying to make Warden into a flexible/assassination deck at a trade off of peak power.

Could you maybe try playing Warden a bit slower, giving up board position instead of trying to immediately answer with Demon Hands, trying to setup your strong combos: Enlist Tusk 1-2 times, big Overwork turn, etc.

Soul Eater is obvious. Dibs seems very average in Warden. Maybe Bone and Spew and the mobility of Winged, Tusk, and Bestial help there for that piece. Mook also seems a great choice just because he's an economic statline even if his ability never works, but his ability probably can be synced up with at least one of your champs, which is a nice AV boost even if you only get to sync it for 1-2 turns. After that, I think you overlook Scabb (especially with Mook you want 3AV champs). You say he's expensive, but I'm not so sure. Even if you have to pay for his ability twice, he's a 3/7/6, which is an amazing statline. If you never pay for his ability and he's hit twice, then he's basically a 3/5/4, which is a Melek statline. Even if he's hit three times, he's a Xaserbane statline. And Living Shield is actually amazing with Scabb. Basically, spend 2 magic and, if you have a prison pile, save 1 magic and all wound; if you have no prison pile, save usually at least 2 wounds on Scabb (1 magic per health is the same rate as Chant of Life and that's a card that's never built). So between the three of those champs, you have undercosted champs.

It seems like Warden's economy can easily afford all 3 champs. After that, seems like you just Enlist 2 heavy mutations (Tusk, Claw, Drool), only hard summon cheap mutations (Tentacle, Bestial, Leach and Absorption which is good to get back Tusk from enemy)

So if you rush for Soul Eater + Mook + Scab, get 1-2 Enlisted heavy champs. That alone, I don't see how most decks can beat. Then it just seems like icing on the cake if you can set up a massive overwork combo.

Obviously you can't manipulate Draw like Meda or Dema. So for draw reliability, it seems really important to focus more on "types" of units than a toolbox.
    - Heavy: Tusk, Claw, Bone (the ability with Claw and Bone to x2 Overwork and throw 10AV is insane)
    - Range: Spew, Bloodspray (good for pinging)
    - Cheap: Bestial
    - Misc: Amoeba (magic), Incanter (insane with Deathseekers)
    - Commons: 6x Deathseeker (more range, tactical use, damage common with Incanter)

Translating Warden's events:
    - Enlist. Get free common unit next to Warden. Use only on your heavy mutations. The above deck has 3 units that work well with this, so there's good draw reliablity.
    - Living Shield. Spend 1 magic to prevent all wounds received. This has a couple good uses. First, straight up trading: you will out trade enemy champs. Second, it makes Warden's health go even further. Third, it means you can ensure a heavy hitting unit like Tusk or Claw lives another turn in order to have one more big swing with it. And if you have back to back turns of Living Shield, this means you can actually ensure that Tusk or Claw swings 3 times total on an enemy champ. Yikes. A card that rewards your heavy units. The above deck had 6 units that work well this (your 3 champs, particularly Scabbicus, and your 3 heavy mutations).
    - Overwork. Move unit 2 spaces, add 1 to its Attack Value, attack with it, then destroy it. I know this works well with Spew. But it's hard to destroy your 3 cost mutant, discard the card under it. Instead, the economy is already great using this on a 0-cost unit. I'd prefer to use this on a Deathseeker than Spew. A card that rewards your cheapest units, although when combined with Enlist it's very very nasty. The above build has a ton of different Units that work well with this: Spew, Bone, Deathseeker with or without Incanter.
    - Subjugation. +3 magic and Enlist setup.
    - Unholy Sacrifice Spend up to 3 magic. For each magic, burn a different Units. You never build Burn. Why would you ever build this?
    - Amoeba. +2-3 magic per game.

When you translate Warden's events, they're really powerful. Obviously some setup's required. But there's a ton of economic power. This kind of setup indicates to me that he should struggle to adapt to the flow of a game if the draws aren't good, but if he kind of hang in there

Demonhands, playing against them, felt only ok. Yeah it’s nice they have synergy and there’s a deck where they can be played, but they’re only Commons. In our next game I’ll try this build I’ve outlined.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Wardens economy is Ret Talus level.
    Last edited by commandercool; 08-22-2018 at 11:28 PM.

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look.

This thread was not about that last game. Loosing 8 cards to magic drain, raids and spyed event was exactly my soul eater + 2 prisonpile cards. Obviously vs vlox and his assassinate demonhands and mutants without spellsucker do not perform as awesome. This is more to not miss out on different builds that can be used.

Ok what I see most of the decks are close to my 1)-3) options, with some people including slightly different mutants or Scabbicus instead of Feeder. I saw one deck option that I might consider to test vs. low life summoners centered on prisoners, taskmaster and void/inchanter. This deck has quite potent assassination option together with the assassination offered from mutants. The strong base economy of warden should help to not rely solely on assassination.

4) surprise surprise

s.eater, Mook, Rath (can fly in after overwork+void)
    6x Prisoners, 3x taskmaster, 3x cultists (void+range, mutation targets), void, stone, winged, bestial, tusk, spew

overwork + prisoner/cultists into void mutant is obviously cool especially with a Rath follow up. But also whiping prisoners into void mutant and them move them into position to attack a summoner could be strong. Bestial, winged, tusk and spew are all hard to avoid with taskmaster around. Considering how some prisoner go into the prison pile (and can be transferred into the magic pile over time) the deck cost should be reasonable.

My comment was more about how the Warden deck looks to me. But I know there are a bunch of different takes on how to play it or build it. And he’s one of 3 decks I’ve never played (Warden, Maldaria, Meda). But I have played a bunch against him.

I just wasn’t really that impressed with the demon hands. Maybe in a different matchup I would. But Vlox is exactly a matchup where I’d expect them to shine: Vlox not having heavy hitting units and Vlox wanting to save assassinate for mutations. They also seem like they can cause some deckclog because You can’t summon mutations on them.

As for deckclog, I can definitely see a lot of potential for deckclog one warden. In a slow game it doesn’t really matter. But in a faster game obviously it can. Obviously it’s best for overwork on a big mutation combo, but in many cases to avoid clog it seems better to get some value on it with a death seeker for example. Also the build I suggest should have almost no deck clog. You immediately build any deathseeker you can’t use with overwork or to mutate or for tactical purpose. You should almost always have at least 2 magic to summon any of your non heavy champs, you immediately build your heavy champs in order to get them into your prison pile ASAP with subjugation. Your champs are all relatively cheap.

Enlist is obviously a handclogger. Subjugation could be too if you get it early. I guess you just immediately build Unholy Sacrifice, you can immediately build living shield if it would clog your hand (if you have a hand slot, you can hang onto it.

Living Shield into a next turn Overwork seems like an excellent combo. Living Shield also seems excellent on Drool or Claw. Tusk is almost guaranteed to live through a turn.
    Last edited by commandercool; 08-23-2018 at 08:52 AM.

Have had the chance to play Warden a few games now and just wanted to publicly state I now fully buy into jwalker's build. Demonhands and Dibs are awesome there. Warden is weird, really struggles to adapt to changing game scenarios, and I think jwalker's build is the deck most optimized to adapt to the game.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Hey look, KC is alive.

I really liked manipulating the prison pile a lot as Warden. I tried to setup big overwork combos with Spew, hopefully on the summoner but I'd take a champ, too. I was also a big fan of taskmasters whipping things into position - I'd use the mutant I can't think of right now that could get like, 5-6 attack by stacking a bunch of prisoners under it for a final strike after I whipped it up to the summoner outta nowhere.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Hey KC, nice to see you still around here. I personally too like to have 1-2 taskmaster in draw + the one from the setup to whip mutations or demon hands if needed. I also really like Spew mutant in this deck due to overwork and as a ranged option. For me Legion Mutant never worked so great but I read some of you guys had great success with him. Nowadays Tusk and Drool might do similar stuff with easier setup?

We played a bunch of warden games for our errata project to make sure our power estimation is correct and I'm pretty convinced involving too much prison pile units into the play makes the deck more inconsistent. For me Warden is the prime candidate to win the "summoner with best chance to clog your hands" award - or is it only me that experiences this? That's why I try to easy the flow of the deck by excluding some of the more complicated setups (Hester, Legion, Inchanter and only one of either Soul Eater or Scabbicus), which helps out quite a bit. Overall I feel with amoeba mutant, two 4-5 cost mutants for free with Enlist and the extremely cost efficient CG/CF Champs the deck is extremely powerful, just sometimes the draw screws you over.

Just wanted to suppot thumbs up the "warden hand clogs easily"