Thread: Some useful schema

Default Some useful schema

A few small, useful schema:

1. GAME PHASE
    When is my win probability highest? Early, middle, or end game, in relation to my opponent's summoner and playstyle?

2. POSITION CONTROL
    Where on the Battlefield will I trade more efficiently than my opponent? How do I force opponent to fight there while avoiding where my opponent trades more efficiently than me?

3. COMBAT CYCLE
    How am I going to win the defensive action-start? If I can't, what is my offensive strategy maximizing my win chances? How am I preparing my counterattack to enemy offensive? Am I anticipating enemy counterattack to my own offensive? How will I/enemy recover from a counterattack?

Game phase I credit prometheuslkr and owlord for developing idea. Position control I credit to Waterd developing concept of action-starting and jwalker regarding concept of "shifting the battlefield." Combat cycle I credit Waterd for, again, developing concept of action-starting and being outspoken about the value of counterattack.
    Last edited by commandercool; 07-09-2018 at 12:54 AM.

Concerning 2) or 3): Would you be willing to give few short example positions to illustrate these schemata?

Sure! I'll give some combat cycle examples for now.

Combat cycle examples
    - Winning the defensive action-start. There are a variety of defensive action starters from magic engines (Tundle's Meditate, Etch, etc.) to hit and run tools (Snipers + Jexik's ability, etc.) to attacking enemy walls from your side of the battlefield with ranged units effective at doing so (Jacob Eldwyn, Ballista, Javelineer, etc.). Some of these action starters are much stronger than the others: magic engines are far stronger than attacking enemy walls from your side of the battlefield. Etch beats Javelineers. You "win" the action-start if you have a stronger action starter than your important because you force your enemy to either come to you or lose the game.

- Your offensive if you lose the action start. Because you have to go on offense in such a situation, you need to devise a plan for how you are going to maximize your win chances in an offensive. If you are forced to come to opponent, you may not have good chance of winning, but you have to do something. Maybe you decide a timing champ push is your best bet, or a sophisticated assassination strategy, etc. But the key is not blindly rushing in, with no resources and without trying to build your best offensive event combos. In Nikuya Na, think Jujugara or Satara/Gargos with Cheetah. Or in Tundle, think Illusionary Warrior + Lun. Or in Torgan, x2 Invaders + x2 Glacial Shifts + x1 For Glory.

- Your counterattack to opponent offensive. You need to anticipate when opponent is going to play offense against you, especially with a "monster" champ ((Krung, Gror, etc.). You need to have a retaliation prepared. In Krusk, this could be playing Mirage and/or Taunt and/or summoning Dinky and/or Shaman and/or using Krusk's Sandstorm to one-shot kill a forward summoner or monster champ. Or, in Jexik, it could be preparing a hand of Daring Plan and x2-3 Slashers.

- Recovery. After your counterattack to opponent how will your opponent recover? If you one-shot kill Biter with Rallul's Magic Pulse, how can enemy recover? If enemy has 6 magic and has not yet summoned Dinky or Sand Wyrm, you know they'll be able to recover quickly and you have to anticipate their counterattack to your counterattack. Or, if you end up with more units than a MD summoner and he hasn't yet played MD, you can bet that their recovery will be pretty quick. However, if you one-shot kill Biter and enemy has 0 magic, then you know your opponent will recover slowly to your counterattack and it may be a good opportunity for you to try to overwhelm them and kill their summoner.

One schema not on the list: card advantage.

You are putting yourself in a good spot to win if you can do 2 things:

1. Summon all 3 champs;
    2. Have more cards than your opponent does.

I normally look at my champ cost, then count +1 for each card I have over and above the cost of summoning all 3. I summon a wall, that's -1, etc.

On average, base deck champs cost 17 magic. In addition to the 3 champs, you have 2 walls + 9 events + 14 commons in there. So, that leaves you with 28 cards. If you need 20 cards to summon all 3 champs, that leaves you with 8 cards on average to play with.

In facing an opponent, I look at their deck the same way. I'm counting down whether they're "ahead" or not.

If I score some cards from the enemy, then I can add +1 for each enemy. This enables me to do more later in the game. If I'm behind on the count, then I know I need to hang back more and do less.