Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beginner tips for beating RMs and Etch

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Srzednicki View Post
    However, Etch in the hands of experienced player is overpowered as hell.
    I'd just like to reiterate - the thread was tips for beginners. In reality, I see many newer players using RMs, but not that many using Etch.

However, I do appreciate the higher-level commentary on Etch. And even if the MU specific strategies aren't the "answer", they're a great resource for players facing Etch nonetheless.

DISCLAIMER: This was not, nor was ever intended to be, a thread for debating whether Etch was or was not OP. All opinions stated are the poster's own, and not necessarily the opinions of the Original Poster, or Plaid Hat Games.

I may add that there are many new (unexperienced) Etch players on the app. RMs are plague but Etch is also popular. Honestly,I don't know why. Seems that people just read forums like our PHG forum and try to win games at all costs.
    Game Center ID: Nadhir 99

Honestly,I don't know why. Seems that people just read forums like our PHG forum and try to win games at all costs.
    Have you been under a rock? Because this is what the CCG/LCG world has been all about, ever since I quit M:tG after the first four years or so.

We ought to flood this forum with sarcastic posts about how Sword Grounders are OP, and then clean up on the app from all the people who can't figure things out on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by gojaejin View Post
    Have you been under a rock? Because this is what the CCG/LCG world has been all about, ever since I quit M:tG after the first four years or so.

We ought to flood this forum with sarcastic posts about how Sword Grounders are OP, and then clean up on the app from all the people who can't figure things out on their own.
    For me it's hard to understand in SW context where You have no proper tournament scene, prizes etc. We play only for fun and Etch makes the game much worse. This forum is the only one important place for sharing strategies or opinions about SW and on this forum players who use Etch And RMs are considered as weak players. That's why i wonder.

For me it's hard to understand in SW context where You have no proper tournament scene, prizes etc. We play only for fun and Etch makes the game much worse. This forum is the only one important place for sharing strategies or opinions about SW and on this forum players who use Etch And RMs are considered as weak players. That's why i wonder.
    Well, to put this in perspective, years ago I spent quite some time playing mostly relatively easy, boring limit poker (start with the shocking strategy of folding most hands out of position!) for a net of just over $12/hour. I could manage that as very, very far from an elite player.

Nothing like that kind of EV exists in CCGs, outside of the very elite. People are playing like this for ego.

I understand being the most boring and derivative of Spikes to pay for my food. But clearly hundreds of thousands of people, across several games, play as pure Spikes strictly for ego rewards.

There's clearly a personality type that enjoys being told "you're a WINNER" regardless of what went into it -- and this doesn't seem to be a minor phenomenon.

That's a reasonable explanation. Maybe You are right.

I'm a spike, and Thinking that spikes are motivated by EGO, is a misunderstanding of that kind of players. They thrive on TRYING TO WIN, games are problems with solutions, and the thrill is he research to finding the solution, if you hold yourself back you are not using your tools to solve the problem.
    We get motivated into getting with "arguments" with other people about the most efficient actions to solve a problem.Arguments are mostly resolved during the game.

I would play etch and rune mages, except there is a consensus they make a worse game, that is "we don't want to play the game, AKA the problem that involves etch and rune mages". If there is a ENFORCED rule to ban etch and rune mages, spikes do not have a problem, but if they are ALLOWED, we consider it's part of the problem and just deyning ourselves the tool to solve the problem is nonsensical, if we do that, we are trying to solve a problem that is not the one present.

Is like if Alice and Bob are arguing how to build the best bridge, and in his mind BOB want to limit itself in the use of steel. The conversation becomes pointless, it's ok though if BOB want to argue with CARL about how to build the best possible bridge without using steel.

Waterd, if i understand correctly, You are trying to say that "elite" players from this forum don't use Etch & co because they want to limit themselves in some ways and don't like "cheap wins". Something similar to climb K2 without oxygen Not true. Etch is broken. Just imagine a card with an ability like : "You gain 10 mana points after summoning this unit". Great for spikes but ridiculous. Bad for the game. It's PHG fault, without a doubt, but we have to deal with that because there is no chance for some kind of official errata.

I don't know why elite players don't use etch &co, I'm saying why spikes use it. I don't because there is a community consensus to not play a game where they are involved,and im ok with that.

OK, update on my games with Waterd:

1. GD vs Abua: I was overaggressive with Gror, cost me the game. Could have easily sat back but didn't. I don't regret taking down your walls with the help of my Heroic Feats because Etch really wasn't a factor in that game, and despite the fact I lost, Abua finished off Oldin with him only having 1 life left.
    2. CL vs Grog: The RMs were the real champs, Etch didn't come out. I was pinned into my own zone early and could never recover. Using CL, it's very hard to beat Grog and RMs to complement his natural abilities.
    3. GD v Sera: Waterd moved archers into the midfield, countering my aggressive wall positioning with his own. I countered with Baldar. Watered got lucky and with 1AV, 2AV and another 1AV attack Baldar was dead. He lost his archers though and I was primed to send Gror in from my third wall. However, I was overaggressive with Oldin, trying to apply extra pressure to the middle, too much pressure, and Waterd got lucky drawing 2 holy judgments and a priest, and got lucky again got a solid roll on Oldin, despite the fact he was next to a wall.

I note that in none of these games did I feel that Etch made any difference to the outcome.

More to come.
    Last edited by Rdebruys83; 06-26-2018 at 07:09 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast