Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner tips for beating RMs and Etch

Default Beginner tips for beating RMs and Etch

In case anyone is coming to this forum in anger after being beat by a dirty Rune Mage/Etch user, I'll share my basic strategies for dealing with them.

RMs are easily countered by proper wall placement and maintaining position over your walls.

Wall placement: you need to do 3 things with your walls. 1) do not put your walls within a space of the opponent's walls. You never want a RM that can summon and use their dastardly ability in the same turn. Moreover, don't put them close to the opponents walls at all. Keep some distance between your opponent and you. 2) this is related to 1. until all 3 walls have been placed, keep your walls out of the first two rows closest to the middle. An opponent can place a wall after you have placed yours and do what you want to avoid in 1. 3) place walls in a 3 space L-shape from each other (like a knights move in chess). This configuration allows you to summon units to counter those attacking your walls while also being hard to crowd. Avoid diagonal wall placement, or putting two walls next to one another. This allows the RM to set up next to a wall and it is hard to counter. I will occasionally set up walls two spaces apart in the same row, this is also hard for the opponent to crowd, and is more of a defensive configuration compared to L-spaced walls.

Maintain position: 1) you just can't sit back and hide behind your walls. You never should anyways, RMs or not. You should be establishing position in the area between your walls and your opponents walls. 2) deterrence: You should be using your units and your magic pile (ie the threat of more units) to keep the opponent away from your walls. For every exposed unit, ensure you have the ability to counter an attack. 3) cover your flanks: Units that cover each other's flanks help do this too. A unit that only has one possible flank it can be attacked from is hard to kill and in good position to counter. 4) range: while range is not necessary to ensure this strategy, range can help put pressure on the enemies' walls and units, drawing them out from well defended positions and exposing their flanks.

There are two things you need to know about a Etch. First, he takes up a champ slot. So you should set yourself up to use three champs against the two that are coming.second, be patient. Etch can get your opponent extra magic, but that's only going to mean more commons. Keep to the midfield, keep your opponent hemmed into their zone. Also keep in mind that etch is a weak champ that takes 5 turns of successfully using his power to start turning a "profit". That's pretty much half the game and if etch isn't the first champ your opponent draws, he's not likely to make much of an impact.

Good luck
    Last edited by Rdebruys83; 06-22-2018 at 12:36 PM.

Sorry but there is no way to beat etch outside of tundle/dema , we can play anytime you against my etch, say 10 games, i promise i will win 6 AT LEAST.

is it already this time of the year? the annual RM+Etch is np vs. RM+Etch is broken discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    Sorry but there is no way to beat etch outside of tundle/dema , we can play anytime you against my etch, say 10 games, i promise i will win 6 AT LEAST.
    Interesting...let me know if this happens

Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    The threads called beginner tips haha. I think you'd beat me 6 out of 10 if you didn't use etch.

Ok my point is, I agree and like the RM tips. RM I always said are meh.

And you may have a point but this discussion as Jwalker said has years and ive been involved in this challenge for years, nobody ever beat me when i have access to etch and they don't, a series of even 5 matches. Ironically the only non Tundle/dema that can beat it, is Mugg with AM.
    My point is, you can help them deal with etch, but sadly ETCH is really that op. Ive been involved in this argument from a practical way A LOT. And this thread gives the idea that ETCH is not that good. But it is, you play etch or go home if you can.
    Sadly it's one of the main reasons Rallul is one of the big 3 decks. IF you remove etch from rallul, he is actually...not that strong (at least on the app) Been proposing for years now to ban etch from rallul too.

I agree that RM is really not a big deal, and beginners think they are stronger than they are. But etch is not a beginner problem, it's a real problem.

Also one ofthe problems in your argument is that "for profit you need 5 turns". That would be true if etch would have 1 life points and 0 AV. But the main reason ETCH is so good is that from turn one it starts to profit because you already paid and have a very reasonable 2 AV R with 4 life at 4 cost. That's already better costed than any common., if you activate twice you already have a better champ than any champ. If etch activated 5 times you didn't just "profit" you are probably in a very significant Lead.
    Last edited by Waterd; 06-21-2018 at 11:04 AM.

Could you perhaps elaborate on the tactics beginners could use to beat etch? (Without using Etch of course)

A lot of that depends on which summoneris playing Etch. Obviously though you can’t just sit back. You typically have to play a couple heavy hitting champs and if opponent usesEtch right as an action starter (a value of Etch you didn’t mention) you always have to play some kind of offensive strategy: Wall pressure, timing push, etc.

Well the short answer is there aren't. If the opponent summoned etch, and you don't have an etch of your own, you are probably in a losing position. Generally the best way to beat etch is to pray he doesn't draw it quick enough. Not that is impossible to win, just that the odds aren't in your favor at all.

The only real tip is that You need to play EXTREMLY agressive, every turn they activate etch, is a turn you are dying. Is important to bring a lot of AV to the table so you can start pounding the walls. I see some people that when I draw etch they take their time. I agree that you shouldn't blindly rush into death, that is never the answer, but is key to understand that the clock is ticking and extremly fast, whatever plan you have, needs to involve non stopping aggression like if you were playing sunder.
    That's really all I can think off.

My best advice is if you are angry because people are using etch, play Mugg wtih AM. That beats etch. You can also play Dema or tundle for your own etch.

As secondary option if you don't like that, Oldin can safely destroy walls quick enough.

The rest of the cast....
    Last edited by Waterd; 06-21-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdebruys83 View Post
    Etch can get your opponent extra magic, but that's only going to mean more commons. Keep to the midfield, keep your opponent hemmed into their zone. Also keep in mind that etch is a weak champ that takes 5 turns of successfully using his power to start turning a "profit". That's pretty much half the game and if etch isn't the first champ your opponent draws, he's not likely to make much of an impact.
    Thanks for all the games, but this statement about Etch is completely wrong for exactly the reason Waterd states. I have to highlight this and throw my weight behind Waterd in agreement because your argument repeatedly pops back up on this forum from different people. I hope we don't hear this argument again.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast