Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Avan-The card changes

Default Avan-The card changes

Introduction:
    As much more fun my Avan variant has been for me in Summoner wars (I don't think I would keep playing Summoner wars if it weren't because of it). There are things that without card changes can't be accomplish. I always tried to not make card changes because I wanted to not play different cards than the online community, and was my goal to eventually convince the online community to adopt avan.

With the dead online community and agonizing state of summoner wars in general, there is no point to restrict myself anymore. I still have a very engaged group of 4 very active players and 6 others that ocassional play and we still play a lto of summoner wars, and we decided we are a gonna be better doing whatever we want. So we got into "let's change cards state". I'm not sure yet if I'm gonna go into Common change territory, but for sure, events, summoners, champiosn and Starting setup. It's possible though some commons are changed, specially those in the extreme of OP and the lower end of crap. (Wraith, Thwarter, harbringer and on the lower end like Lioness, Fighter, Ranger). honestly there isn't any reason for me not to change common other than the remote hope I can create an online community interested in this and decide to want to change cards but not too many.
    So I'm on the fence of changing commons yet.

The changes and balance will work for the Avan rules.

Here is a Link to the Avan Variant thread:
    https://www.plaidhatgames.com/sum_fo...6-Avan-Variant
    Last edited by Waterd; 04-19-2018 at 06:28 PM.

I will keep this page for the list of changes so far, early on expect it to change extremely frequently.
    List of card changes so far:

Fallen Phoenix Alliance.

Maldaria:

Release the hounds:
    Search your hand or draw pile for up to 3 cards named Fireling, reveal them, add them to your hand, then shuffle your Draw Pile. You may summon the revealed Units during this Event Phase and they may be summoned adjacent to a Friendly unit on the opponent's side of the Board. During this turn, attacking and moving with Firelings on the opposite's side of the board do not count for your movement and attack limit of this turn.

Kaeeberos:
    New Abilty
    Erupt
    "if you didn't draw a card on your draw phase this turn, increase Kaebeeros's Attack value by 1 during this turn and When Moving Kaeeberos this turn during your Movement Phase, you may move it up to 1 additional space."

Fanessa:
    Magic cost -1

Conjure Phoenix changed to:
    "Place up to 2 Phoenixes from your Conjuration Pile on unoccupied spaces adjacent to Queen Maldaria or any single friendly unit on the opponent's side of the battlefield."

Elien:
    Ellien card:
    New ability:
    Ignite weapon:
    Instead of attacking with Prince Ellien, Choose a Common Friendly Unit with an Attack Value of 1 within 2 clear straight line spaces of Prince Elien. When attacking with the choosen unit this turn, in addition to any Wound Markers dealt by the attack, add 1 Wound marker to the card being attacked.

Magic drain replaced by :
    Volcano:
    Choose a wall you control. During this event phase you can choose any number of Common Phoenix elf units from an opponent discard pile, pay their summoning costs and place them adjacent to the chosen wall. For each unit placed in this wall, add a number of wound markers to the wall equal to the attack value of the placed unit.

A Hero is born replaced by:
    Fire of fury:
    During this turn, when a friendly common unit you control attacks a card on the opponent's side of the battlefield, in addition to any Wound Markers dealt by the attack, add 1 Wound marker to the card being attacked.

Mad Sirian:

Return of the Fallen:
    "Do not play this event in your event phase. Instead play this event After a unit you control attacks an enemy unit and the unit isn't destroyed. Take a common Fallen kingdom unit from the opponent discard pile and place it adjacent to the attacked unit."

Corpse Wyrm:
    Magic cost -1

Hirud:
    Magic Cost -1
    Attack value -1
    Life points +1

Inmortal Elien
    New Burnt Sacrifice:
    You may destroy a Common unit you control. If you do another friendly Common unit of your choice with equal or less Summoning cost than the sacrificed unit gains +1 AV and the Bow symbol.

Ret Talus:

Magic drain now is
    Night of the Dead:
    This turn you have no attack limit.
    Until end of turn all your common units with a Base attack value of 1 gain Swift strike.

Dragos:
    +1 Life point
    It's ability is now Blood drain.

Tundra guild Alliance

Grognack:

Torgan:

Krom:
    New Ice shatter
    "After Attacking with Krom, you may choose an Ice Wall within 3 spaces of Krom. That Ice wall and Each unit Adjacent to that Ice wall recieves 1 Wound Marker."

Torgan:
    +1 Life point
    "Once per turn, Before your Attack Phase, You may spend 1 MAgic point to place a Minor Ice Wall on an empty Space adjacent to Torgan"

Oldin:
    New heroic Feat:
    Choose a common unit, During this turn, add 2 to the chosen Unit's Attack Value.

New Magic Drain:
    Until end of turn, for each wound marker a common unit you control places on an enemy wall, as the result of an attack, you can choose a unit on the opponent discard pile and place it on top of your magic pile.

New Reinforcements
    You can summon common units during this event phase. All your commons summoning cost is reduced by 1.

New A hero is born:
    Instead of playing this card during your event phase, you may play this card when a common Guild Dwarf unit you control inflicts at least one wound on an enemy wall. Discard the unit, search your draw pile or hand for a Guild dwarf Champion, reveal it and place it on the space that the common unit occupied by paying that Champion's Summon cost. Reduce the Summon Cost of that Champion by 2 for each wound marker placed on the wall as result of the attack.

Baldar:
    New Block shield:
    "if Baldar Didn't Receive a Wound marker during this attack phase, When Baldar is attacked, if your opponent fails to roll a hit on every die rolled for that Attack, Baldar recieves no Wound Markers from the attack."

Bolvi:

New upgrades: Upgraded units are considered Champions. Upgrades go to discard pile when the unit is destroyed.

Accelerated construction:
    Search your draw pile for an upgrade event card, wall, or a common unit card with the Built Special ability. Reveal the cards, then place the cards in your hand. For each architect you control, you can repeat this process by searching your discard pile instead of your draw pile. Shuffle your draw pile afterwards. You may summon units with the Built special Ability during this Event phase.

Destabilize:
    Until end of turn when a unit you control attacks a wall, All die results from that attack are counted as Hits. If the attacking unit is an architect, place a wound marker on each unit adjacent to the attacked wall.

Bolvi:
    +1 LP
    New strenght of the stone:
    At the beginning of your Attack phase you may add a wound marker to each wall you control. if you do so, choose Bolvi or a Common guild dwarf unit within 3 spaces of bolvi. Add 1 to the unit's Attack Value during this turn, for each wall you control. You can only attack with 1 unit on a Turn that you choose a common unit with Strength of the Stone.

Dwaf
    Magic cost -2

Hogar:
    Hogar
    +2 Life points

Rune of Heroism:
    Can only be played in commons.

Rune of power:
    Can only be played in commons.

Master rune:
    You can repeat the action for every scribe you control.

Raldag:
    -1 Magic Cost

Zuggdin:
    Now Also Gives +1 to all Marauders when it triggers.

Cave Filth Alliance
    Sneeks:
    Goblin Invincibility:
    Until your next turn Common Cave goblins units you control Ignore all wound markers.

Goblin Rush:
    Move ALL 0 cost Goblins 2 spaces.

Dema

Heretic rebuke- Now only works on commmons 4 straight clear spaces from Dema.
    Horror mutant- Only works if horror mutant doesn't have another adjacent enemy unit

Little Medda
    Look What I can do:
    Now takes filth cards from opponent discard pile. But now the number is not capped.

Amoeba Mutant:
    When this mutant is in a discard pile, if at the end of the draw phase the owner didn't draw a card, return this mutant to it's owner hand.

The Warden
    Soul Eater
    -2 Life points

Vargath Vanguard Alliance

Sera
    Sam
    Sunderver
    Malenatar
    Moyra

Jungle Shadows Alliance
    Abua
    Nikuya NA
    Selundar
    Saturos
    Melundak

Sand Cloacks Alliance
    Vlox
    Jexix
    Krusk
    Scraven
    Marek

Deep Benders Alliance

Tacullu:

Gulldune- -1 Magic cost

Shiva

Tundle

Lun:
    -1 AV
    Gem of calling range reduced to 3.

Kynder:
    No Longer works on summoners.

Summoning Surge now becomes
    Mine the Gems:
    For each Friendly miner you control that is not adjacent to a friendly wall, place the top card of your discard pile on top of your magic pile. If the miner started the turn on the opponent's side of the board, place three cards in this way instead of one.

Brath
    Call of the mother gem now also search for the word Gem in abilities.

Eldritch

Swamp Mercenaries Alliance
    Mugglug
    Natazga
    Rallul
    Farrah
    Glurblug
    Last edited by Waterd; 04-22-2018 at 08:28 PM.

Reserved for the far future.
    Last edited by Waterd; 04-19-2018 at 06:40 PM.

I found how to buff Kaeeberos and at the same time make it more fitting to Phoenix elves.
    "If you didn't draw a card on your draw phase this turn, Kaeeberos gains +1 AV"
    The problem is that Smoldering Embers no longer fit the name of ability :P So any new name?
    I'm considering Lava Buildup.

EDIT:
    Changed to
    "if you didn't draw a card on your draw phase this turn, increase Kaebeeros's Attack value by 1 during this turn and When Moving Kaeeberos this turn during your Movement Phase, you may move it up to 1 additional space."
    Last edited by Waterd; 04-17-2018 at 12:25 PM.

I kind of like 1AV Lun.

Kaebeeros: Erupt (i think what causes eruptions is a type of build up or clogging and not drawing cards is a type of buildup or clogging) or Inferno

Mmm, this Lun has 2 aV:P 1Av would make him too weak unless I buff him somwhere else. i like Erupt.

I just analyze all decks and cards i want to change And I arrived at close to 150 card change (having the whole collection of summoner wars is close to 1700 cards). I'm fine with it..im so fine with it, tht maybe I will add commons and make it to 200 lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    I just analyze all decks and cards i want to change And I arrived at close to 150 card change (having the whole collection of summoner wars is close to 1700 cards). I'm fine with it..im so fine with it, tht maybe I will add commons and make it to 200 lol.
    Dayung, that's a lot of cards. Interesting changes. One question that has bothered me since forever, where did the name 'Avan variant' come from? Specifically the 'Avan' bit?
    Shard the Void Mutant in The Dance of Devils
    Nicholas the Honor Guard in Light's Corruption
    Talu the REAL TWIN in The Ice Wedding

I just wanted something that sounded nice and I looked the sound of it, it comes from Advanced Agression.

I will do a Little rant about marek to see what im missing.
    Bolvi has been long been popular as the worst deck of the game. But is Marek that far off? is even far?....is even.....above bolvi?.
    Marek does fine against summoners that struggle to create fast agression (ellien, tacullu etc), but have you played Marek against any aggro summoner? she dies.
    She has the second worst starting setup of the game, only better than Dema. But it doesn't have Heretic rebuke, channel corruption and Wall possession, along with horror mutant, corpulent mutant and claw mutant to stop offensives.
    She has the second worst starting setup of the game with NO events that do any good vs agression, except arguably Blitz.
    The only way she stands a chance vs aggro is to make her a KRUSK DECK...without taunt, mirage and Sandstorm. That is , pack the great anti rush champions of the game (Sand Wyrm, Bitter, Violet). And the great commons (Shaman, Javaliner, slayer...you can play Renegade, i guess).
    Basically si to throw the whole deck away, play suboptimal events (at least vs agression) and a terrible starting setup.
    I'm alone on this feeling?
    I Feel Marek was a BAD response to metagame complaints, lets make a summoner that totally collapses to agression, to prove agression is good in the same note. Oh let's also make her pretty good vs non aggro decks...to show again Aggro decks are usefull.
    Except there is no reason to play Marek in first place.

I think What I will do is A) Improve her starting setup. Add one life to marek, and replace the left Scholar with a hunter. Move back The tinkerer and Hunter, so their existence isn't just to die to half of the starting setups if they dont start.
    B) Add better anti agression abilities. I don't like half the event abilities anyway. I think one has to be "thrust" But not sure about the others.
    C) Not sure about this one, but Im gonna try reducing Barston and Babule magic costs by 1.
    D) For deckbuild and the original rules this is irrelevant, however it really bothers me her common base deck lineup., so I will go with 5x Schoolars, 5x tinkerers 8x Hunters. And Im considering just 4x schoolar, 5x tinkerer 9x hunters. It just bothers me to go for 9, as no other deck in SW does that.
    Last edited by Waterd; 04-17-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast