Thread: Vanguard Filth

Default Vanguard Filth

Hey guys, I know you probably thought I died, I didn't. I just grew to be even more insane than I was previously.

I'm back with an interesting pairing that requires some background thematically: These dudes are a group of Vanguards who grew insane with a thirst to corrupt people, as well as to put and end to all corruption. Essentially this is them transforming the enemy into mutations to allow them to have an excuse to wipe them off the face of the planet. They test their maniacal rituals on the enemy, then purge their creations for the good of mankind.

It makes sense, I promise. They aren't crazy, just good people.

For more info on my project I started 4 years ago (!) check out this word: ---> Word.

Summoner and Events:

The Sentinel
    3 Melee - 6 Health
    CORRUPT THE ENEMY
    - When summoning a Mutation, you may summon them on Enemy Common Units, lowering the cost of the Mutation by 2 but not lower than 0. Mutations summoned in this way remain under that opponent's control.

Corrupted Healing (x3)
    - Choose a common or champion unit on the battlefield and remove up to two wound markers from the chosen unit. If 2 wound markers were removed from an opponent's unit in this way, search your Discard Pile for a Filth Vanguard Event Card or a Mutation and add it to your hand.

Purge (x2)
    - Destroy a Mutation controlled by an opponent.

Hidden Zeal (x2)
    - Spend one magic. Choose a Mutation an opponent controls that was not summoned this turn. You may immediately perform a move and attack with that Unit.

Unstable Creation (x1)
    - Remove all wound markers from a Mutation on the battlefield and place them on a Unit adjacent to the Mutation.

Divine Calling (x1)
    - Place 2 wound markers on The Sentinel and choose a Champion on the battlefield and Mutate it. If this event was used on an opponent's Unit, it remains under that opponent's control.

Champions:

Rebekah Greylight
    3 Melee - 3 Health - 4 Cost
    HEALING CLARITY
    - Whenever any number of wound markers are removed from a unit you control, search your Draw Pile for a card to place into your hand. Shuffle your Draw Pile.

Bartholomew
    2 Melee - 5 Health - 5 Cost
    LAY ON HANDS
    - Instead of attacking with Bartholomew you may Summon a Mutation on an adjacent unit at no cost. Mutations summoned on Enemy Units in this way remain under your opponent's control.

Mutations:

Swollen Mutant
    0 Melee - 9 Health - 3 Cost
    CORROSION
    - After this unit is wounded by an opponent's unit, that opponent may spend any number of magic, for every magic spent, place one additional wound marker on this unit.

Unstable Mutant
    2 Ranged - 4 Health - 2 Cost
    COMBUST
    - After this unit attacks, destroy it.

Sludge Mutant
    3 Melee - 6 Health - 3 Cost
    SLUGGISH
    - Yadablahblah

Minute Mutant
    4 Melee - 1 Health - 1 Cost
    SLOWER
    - If this Unit moves, it may not attack during this turn.

Torrent Mutant
    3 Melee - 3 Health - 1 Cost
    CHAOS SHIFT
    - At the start of your movement phase, choose an opponent, that opponent may place this Mutant on any empty space on the battlefield. When moving this Mutant, roll a die, this unit may move a number of spaces rolled on the die.

Cleansing Mutant
    1 Melee - 1 Health - 0 Cost
    PURIFY
    - Before summoning this Mutant, remove all wound markers from the unit you are mutating.

Crazed Mutant
    3 Ranged - 4 Health - 3 Cost
    OVERZEALOUS
    - At the start of your Attack Phase, Crazed Mutant must attack a unit, if able.

Commons:

Favored Knight (x6)
    2 Melee. - 3 Health - 3 Cost
    CHANNELED CORRUPTION
    - When summoning a Mutation on this Unit, reduce its Summoning Cost to 0.

Blessed Acolyte (x6)
    0 Melee - 1 Health - 0 Cost
    FINAL BLESSING
    - At any time, you may discard this unit from under a Mutation you control to remove one wound marker from the mutation on top of this unit. A new Mutation may never be summoned in place of that Mutation.

And as always, feel free to yell at my creative masterpiece with the mentality of grumpy toddlers. (I kid, give your thoughts as you see fit, I won't bite. Other people do that for me.)
    Last edited by Uncleeurope; 07-23-2018 at 03:31 PM.
    Uncleeurope was Hulgorad the Sad in RALLUL'S BANQUET
    Uncleeurope was The Seer who Drank too Much Beer in The Great Marsh
    Uncleeurope was Prince Elien the Felon in The 12 Masks of the Summoner
    Uncleeurope was Matt E. the Fatty in The Dance of Devils

In other news, CUSTOMS!
    Quote Originally Posted by I LIKE TAU!
    As for what I hate most: ... Uncleeurope.
    Quote Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
    Sam Farthen is OP
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    He just rams in, his games last 5 turns...tops

Admit it, this summoner is Samuel Farthen in your head, isn't it?

The whole 'mutate your opponent for murdermayhemeng them with extreme prejudice'-angle is really interesting. I think the faction name should be 'Filthy Vanguard' though.

Anyway, good to have you back, dude.

Edit: Maybe change the 'Pigmy Mutant' to something like 'Slug Mutant' or something. Less socially awkward implications that way.
    Last edited by Syurtpiutha; 04-09-2018 at 04:45 AM.
    Shard the Void Mutant in The Dance of Devils
    Nicholas the Honor Guard in Light's Corruption
    Talu the REAL TWIN in The Ice Wedding

Quote Originally Posted by Syurtpiutha View Post
    Edit: Maybe change the 'Pigmy Mutant' to something like 'Slug Mutant' or something. Less socially awkward implications that way.
    Yeah, i already lost all my dwarf friends because of this game. I can’t risk losing any more little people. (Though, to be fair, simply including a group of people in a game for sake of variety really shouldn’t be offensive.)

Back to the main topic, i assume you've playtested this faction. To me it seems like it would be OP against common-heavy summoners and terrible or very boring against 3-champ summoners...

Quote Originally Posted by Ithamar Conkey View Post
    Yeah, i already lost all my dwarf friends because of this game. I can’t risk losing any more little people. (Though, to be fair, simply including a group of people in a game for sake of variety really shouldn’t be offensive.)
    Pygmy is a name for a collection of ethnic groups in Central Africa. It doesn't have quite the same connotations as 'dwarf' (though both terms are often used in a derogatory fashion). I brought it up as something to consider, not an order one way or the other. Though personally I would avoid using it in this way.

And you make a reasonable point. I was joking, so no need to follow this tangent any further, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithamar Conkey View Post
    And you make a reasonable point. I was joking, so no need to follow this tangent any further, though.
    Cool, tone is hard to read in text. Sorry 'bout that. (my suggestions would be Micro Mutant or Miniature Mutant for Added Alliterative Appeal )

Anyway, enough derailing. As I said I think the concept of mutating your opponents units is interesting but I see the power-issue Ithamar Conkey brought up. I like the cleansing mutant's idea, nice mashup of Healing (vanguard) and Mutation (Filth). Could be an interesting (if expensive) way to try and keep your mutations in the game instead of in your opponents discard pile, though probably only feasible for heavy hitters.

@Uncleeurope, I love the idea of: (1) mutating enemy common into (2) a bad mutation.

Is a really innovative idea that for some reason reminds me of Hogar's design-stage Rune of Nullification that could be played on own Units.

I wish you would have designed some of the SW decks. So much here that's really interesting. Too much to list actually.
    Last edited by commandercool; 04-09-2018 at 07:58 PM.

Just want to bump this thread. I had posted in my errata thread, but this thread is really cool and don't want to take away from it.

See, guys, you got it all wrong. It's a "Pigmy" Mutant, which is totally different from a "Pygmy."

Easy mistake to make, I know.

And as to the concerns about being good vs commons and bad vs champions, I think the Anti-Champ nature of a lot of the mutants, (in this set and other filth sets) more than makes up for it. Pigmy, Sludge, Crazed, Horror, Claw, Poison, etc.

Essentially I am thinking that because the mutations are fair-ish, building the anti-common events and buying more units might compensate. Then again, I have no idea if I am correct here. Definitely something to consider.

In other news, CUSTOMS!
    Sam Farthen is OP

Some edits I will be doing:

Lowering the cost of Swollen Mutant by 1.

Fixing the wording on Hidden Zeal so it works as intended.

Changing Pigmy Mutant to Minute Mutant since he is supposed to be roughly 2-3 inches tall, and the name wasn't selling my dream.

Crazed Mutant must now attack units, none of that wimpy wall shooting.

Corrupted Healing now requires 2 wounds being removed from an opponent for the mutation pull.

Divine Creation is being replaced by Divine Calling, so it no longer nullifies a mutation ability, but can now mutate a champion!

In other news, CUSTOMS!
    Sam Farthen is OP