Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranking releases

Default Ranking releases

Here's my authoritative list. And by authoritative, I mean unauthoritative.

Perfection
    1. Frick

The Trill Three
    2. Natazga
    3. Brath
    4. Sirian

The Pretty Fab Five
    5. Abua
    6. Jexik
    7. Alliances
    8. Torgan
    9. Taliya's Spirit

Solid
    10. Vlox
    12. Bolvi
    13. Hawks Strike
    14. Meda
    15. Bellors Retributuon

Mixed bag
    16. Sneeks and Oldin
    17. Saturos
    18. Malenatar
    19. Shiva

Got some warts
    20. Samuel Farthen
    21. Nikuya Na
    22. Maldaria
    23. Master set
    24. Grungors Charge
    25. Ret Talus
    26. Sera Eldwyn

Meh
    27. Elien and Grognack
    28. Piclos Magic

Mistakes were made
    29. Farrah
    30. Saella Precision
    31. Demagogue
    32. Rukars Power
    33. Scraven
    34. Goodwins Blade

Disaster
    35. Rallul

I rank each release not as it was at time of release but how it plays now (a little unfair) and whether the affect on game was positive or negative.
    Last edited by commandercool; 03-13-2018 at 12:15 AM.

@commandercool

I agree almost entirely!

Except that I'd move Nikuya down 2 ranks (solely because of Juju, who negates the balance built into Niku), Meda down 2 (because of the boring, dumb and unneccessarily strong Amoeba) and Sera up 1 or 2.

The most striking change would be that without Dinky (built strongly around the very good Cyrus), Scraven could move up 4 ranks.

Goodwins blade made sera, not unplayable...why so bad? just phantoms? I mean ellien has magic drain..

I would move Alliances to mistakes were made. I think the whole concept was a disaster for summoner wars. Mercenaries and alliances were two of the biggest summoner wars mistake imo, I prefer dinky.

Gentlemen,

- On second thought I may agree about Little Meda only bc Amoeba Mutant and her super MD.
    - Scraven for me would go up without Dinky but his ability with Wraiths is pretty ynfun to play agains
    - Goodwins Blade is so low just bc of Phantoms. Otherwise it would be probably as good as Taliyahs Spirit

- Alliances for me was good just bc despite all its convolutions it had far less negative play experiences than most early designs and improved game depth and strategy. However the complexity of alliance deckbuilding was unneeded. I would have preferred from that perspective just useful reinforcement packs. And of course the base decks of the Alliances weren’t even close to being balanced, with Marek, Hogar, Melundak, and Endrich being awful. Even after deckbuilding these decks were all pretty bad. And then obviously Hogar and Melundak got some bonuses with the final second summoners but are still bad. However, the concepts of these summoners (Marek, Melundak, Hogar) were really cool, if convoluted

Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    I would move Alliances to mistakes were made. I think the whole concept was a disaster for summoner wars. Mercenaries and alliances were two of the biggest summoner wars mistake imo, I prefer dinky.
    This summarize very well my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by commandercool View Post
    However the complexity of alliance deckbuilding was unneeded. I would have preferred from that perspective just useful reinforcement packs.
    And for me this is the reason, at least for the alliances. I get it that a new base set was the purpose of the expansion, but it could be handled better imho. In the end I very rarely use alliances, excepto for the box. I use the box all the time.
    As for mercenaries, if all mercenaries were made as Farrah's ones so you could put them only into mercenary decks or in a single specific faction they would be better. Still I wouldn't appreciate the concept, but probably the worst (and by worst I mean broken) combos would be avoided.

For Phantoms, I don't hate the expansion just because of them, they aren't that strong and I don't see how they could ruin the game (unless I don't understand something in how they work) .
    Last edited by Fing80; 03-30-2018 at 08:27 AM.

Alliances. You guys make good points and it’s enough for me to drop Alliances a few spots. I struggle on Alliances bc:
    - positive: these summoners are almost exclusively fun, even if most are underpowered; they add strategy to other
    Summoners; most of these summoners had the most unique and interesting designs in SW; Moyra and Melundak are some of the most fun summoners; it’s hard to overstate the importance of continuing to push summoner design in a positive direction (very unique and well-developed theme) with common heavy stuff and a far less amount of “prevent your opponent from doing stuff” kind of tools than previously existed (however still most important summoners in this regard would have been Frick, Torgan, and Mad Sirian).
    - negatives: there’s already no point for there to be 40 summoners; weird way to add deckbuilding complexity when deckbuilding complexity could have been added through better and more reinforcement decks; the Cave Filth and Swamp Mercenaries have weird deckbuilding restrictions; the cool Alliance designs could have been designed as the final second summoners or Units in reinforcements; extreme ability and event convolution; several of the cool innovative and inspired alliance designs were not well executed and fell flat because of crazy convolution and/or weakness (Marek, Hogar, Melundak, Endrich); it’s weird to try too hard to shoehorn mediocre power buffs for old and bad summoners into a summoner (stuff liked Vognar, Ice Golem). A lot of these problems probably came down to the nightmare of balancing the alliance summoner designs—however this was a flaw with the designs as it’s not too hard to build buffs or events or abilities into a summoner to pretty much insure that summoners units are only good in that summoner (who cares if the summoners that could deckbuild with those units didn’t really get anything).

- Phantoms. IMO, just one of the worst designs in the game. The ability should never have existed. When an opponent gets lucky and takes your champion on a first or second try (we’ve all done this or had it happen to us) it’s the most OP unit in the game.
    Last edited by commandercool; 03-30-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by commandercool View Post
    - Phantoms. IMO, just one of the worst designs in the game. The ability should never have existed. When an opponent gets lucky and takes your champion on a first or second try (we’ve all done this or had it happen to us) it’s the most OP unit in the game.
    I guess my faulted perception is driven by the fact that dice are rarely kind with me when it comes to Phamtoms. In all the games I had (and FK is my favourite faction) I was never able to steal a Champion, and even commons are not frequent.

I don’t care much for them either. On the app, it's like 50/50 for it to work for/against me. The worst part is that it pretty much always happens at the worst times.

Phantoms have a psychological effect.

Show one phantom at the beginning of the game to push your opponent not to summon his super champions.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast