Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summoner Wars League - Season 3 - season preview

Default Summoner Wars League - Season 3 - season preview

Hi guys, it has been very a long time since we did season 1 and season 2, and community really enjoyed this idea, also I enjoyed hosting it so I decided to go with season 3.

There will be some rule changes, and I will use a set of rules similar to “banned for balance” with a few lessons learned in the previous tourney where we used these rules.

For the ones who dont know what I am taliking about and the ones who want to remember a little bit, here we have season 1 and 2 links:

https://www.plaidhatgames.com/sum_fo...eague-season-1

https://www.plaidhatgames.com/sum_fo...eague-Season-2

Both leagues were won by the manager Orange Lazarus and his Mercenary team... huge achievement, lets see if he will dare to join us with the new set of rules that will make Mercenaries less strong...

We will give continuity to the previous seasons, and keep the groups A and B based on the results of Season 2 like this:

Group A
    Mercenaries
    Sand Goblins
    M Vargath
    Jungle elves
    Guild dwarves (Promoted from B)
    Fallen Kingdom (Promoted from B, amazing job for the famous manager Snalgo)
    Filth (Promoted from B)
    Phoenix Elves (Promoted from B)

Group B

Benders (Relegated from A)
    Shadow Elves (Relegated from A)
    Cloaks (Relegated from A)
    Deep Dwarves (Relegated from A)
    Vanguards
    Cave Goblins
    SWamp Orcs
    Tundra Orcs

All managers who promoted their teams will have priority to keep their teams or chose new teams... I will explain the rules in a later post, just spread the voice so we can enjoy season 3!!!

Rules?
    link to whatever rules you say you used.

He might be referring to the balancing rules Nadhir used in his last torunament as well...

EDIT: sorry, not nadhir’s last, but the one before run by kburg:
    https://www.plaidhatgames.com/sum_fo...ed-for-Balance!
    Last edited by Ithamar Conkey; 03-05-2018 at 10:53 AM.

Hi guys, We are still working on the rules to make factions more balanced on the app. As said before my starting point are the rules created for the tourney banned for balance, but making small changes to make this better or at least try.

There are 2 new abilities we are thinking to implement in order to make usable some OP units, so, instead of banning them, give them a negative ability when they are summoned to make them less strong.

These are the ideas:

1- the turn this unit is summoned, cannot move, attack or use any ability.

This means, the unit, can be summoned, but will have to stay still till next turn to be able to be used, and might even be attacked if placed in an offensive position, this would make it less strong, as it can never punch first... I think is worth giving this a try for some OP champs.

This second one, we are not sure is required, but is just an idea:

2- when this unit is summoned, you must have in your magic pile the cost + X extra magic.

X would be a variable to adjust for OP units... lets say, instead of banning etch everywhere we could just say that when you summon him, you must have in your magic pile: its price = 4 + extra 3 magic (x = 3).

The effect of this is only to delay how fast you can summon a unit to the battlefield, apart from that no other effect would be applied. After you summon the unit you can still use this extra magic to summon other units. The only reason why we would use this instead of the previous option is because we could add this extra X with different values depending on how OP the unit is.

If you have any other ideas that can be implemented on the app to deal with OP units, pls share here.

Also, feedbacks are welcome here regarding the 2 possible rules above. I think we would start with only rule 1 to test the effect, and take it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by lcanela View Post
    Hi guys, We are still working on the rules to make factions more balanced on the app. As said before my starting point are the rules created for the tourney banned for balance, but making small changes to make this better or at least try.

There are 2 new abilities we are thinking to implement in order to make usable some OP units, so, instead of banning them, give them a negative ability when they are summoned to make them less strong.

These are the ideas:

1- the turn this unit is summoned, cannot move, attack or use any ability.

This means, the unit, can be summoned, but will have to stay still till next turn to be able to be used, and might even be attacked if placed in an offensive position, this would make it less strong, as it can never punch first... I think is worth giving this a try for some OP champs.

This second one, we are not sure is required, but is just an idea:

2- when this unit is summoned, you must have in your magic pile the cost + X extra magic.

X would be a variable to adjust for OP units... lets say, instead of banning etch everywhere we could just say that when you summon him, you must have in your magic pile: its price = 4 + extra 3 magic (x = 3).

The effect of this is only to delay how fast you can summon a unit to the battlefield, apart from that no other effect would be applied. After you summon the unit you can still use this extra magic to summon other units. The only reason why we would use this instead of the previous option is because we could add this extra X with different values depending on how OP the unit is.

If you have any other ideas that can be implemented on the app to deal with OP units, pls share here.

Also, feedbacks are welcome here regarding the 2 possible rules above. I think we would start with only rule 1 to test the effect, and take it from there.
    I feel like these are a bit too complicated. I think it is easier to use similar restrictions like I did for TO where you can only build 2 of the 3 strong champs, or even just 1. For example: If you build Etch, your other champs can only be Grubs, Magos, Khan Queso, Rath, Khexhu and Naan'Nashi.

Or you can say "Etch's ability can only be used on an opponent's wall. I'd also keep all Mercs as their own faction, except for maybe Sera getting to use Stone Golems.

Baldar could be used but then you have to use Dwaf, Halvor and Tordok as your other 2.

Kynder could have his ability restricted to friendly units just like Lun, and/or move them only 1 space instead of 2.

Also, the "must attack" rule that we tried a few games with, seemed to work pretty well and is a good stalemate rule. If you want to play test some more (7 day) games like that, just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by KBurg7 View Post
    I feel like these are a bit too complicated. I think it is easier to use similar restrictions like I did for TO where you can only build 2 of the 3 strong champs, or even just 1. For example: If you build Etch, your other champs can only be Grubs, Magos, Khan Queso, Rath, Khexhu and Naan'Nashi.

Or you can say "Etch's ability can only be used on an opponent's wall. I'd also keep all Mercs as their own faction, except for maybe Sera getting to use Stone Golems.

Baldar could be used but then you have to use Dwaf, Halvor and Tordok as your other 2.

Kynder could have his ability restricted to friendly units just like Lun, and/or move them only 1 space instead of 2.
    Yes, we tried that and it was fine, I am only trying to find different ways to avoid building restrictions. Do you really think it is too complicated that if you summon an OP. Unit you cannot move attack or use his abilities this turn? I find it very straight forward, but I hear you, and this is why I posted here, to hear what you guys think. Thanks for the feedback.

This rule would also completely nerf Jungle Elves who rely on surprise attacks.

I think it would only apply to select OP units. Perhaps not any of the JE units.

Quote Originally Posted by Petezzapie View Post
    This rule would also completely nerf Jungle Elves who rely on surprise attacks.
    The rule would only apply to op units in op factions to help balance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast