Thread: Stick Together or Split Up?

Default Stick Together or Split Up?

So usually when I wind up playing this (as I did this weekend) I play with 4 players, and usually we all wind up splitting far apart and running out in 4 opposite directions. While the game has sabotaging and assisting in the rules, we rarely get to use them, and honestly I feel like usually it isn't worth it to stick together, you just can't get the resources it seems to advance enough and be strong enough to fight effectively at the end unless you get 2 Advances and 2 good treasures.

But I'm just wondering, do others have more success sticking together and making effective use of assists and sabotages? Does your group try to advance together more, or split up a lot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixio View Post
    As for Ranior, he's a little more difficult to deal with and can do some real damage.
    Tournament Record: 37-18

My group has found that the first few monsters pretty much determine your fate for the rest of the game in DR. Everyone will try to solo as far as possible to maximize return on levels and gear, until a strong monster shows up. At this point another weak player will team up with the aforementioned player because strong players have zero incentive to help out. The pattern I've seen in a dozen or so games I've played, is the weak band together and the strong solo.

I tend to try and find myself a partner for the early game. The idea is that if there is a monster a little too strong, I won't get stuck in a dead end and lose half of my turns just catching up on gear and experience. I'm not necessarily always with the partner, but close enough so I can benefit from his help if needed.

And it is also in answer to some players going solo and whining the hell out of the game when they ended up against a monster too strong for them and how it screwed their game. That's what they get for going solo with no other hero around.

Now, how we split treasures is quite another story...

I think you've asked a question that no one can ansewer for you. I find then when you split up, you get more treasure and encounter cards so you get to beef up a bit. On the other hand though you are more likely to be killed. It's a dangerous gamble to go alone. I figured this out last game when I played as stabbins the cave goblin. I was skipping around the dungeon when I encountered a ghoul. "Ok," I thought, "Using my incredible escape abilities I'll just run away" So I escaped a got a tile I between me and the ghoul. Now, I was not strong enough to kill the ghoul and didn't want to waste my time with it either, but then using its ability it followed me! So now I was stuck, with a ghoul on my tile and no means of defeating it. So that is why going solo is bad and good. With a team you've chances of survival are in my opinion the same. If you have a good, trustworthy friend whom you've been friends with since kindergarten then go for it. However, if you know this person might just think about killing you off then you may want to reconsider. Fortunanatly you can kill just about anything that comes your way and if you sync abillities your bound to win. The only down side is who gets the treasure and encounters? Well if your good friends you'll do what's right for the betterment of your friend and maybe give him the treasure. But if your the greedy time, well, you may want to think about killing your friend. The possibilities are endless and the choices are yours......
    My Doug (fan) fiction can be found here

Summoner wars records as of June 1st: 11-2

Depends on how much you like to push your luck. I have seen high attack, low skill heroes wander off and become insanely powerful (of course, this might also be due to playing the level up rule wrong, thinking killed monsters could be used to levelup), but encounter one monster who can't be attacked without an assist and you are in trouble.

I find it much more fun to trail someone, so that is what I do, whether it is strategic or not, personally.
    Playdek ID: Adam Palma
    Your mom's a cat!

I always wander off on my own, but someone always follows me so I'm never really alone.
    Always the Mice Guy!

What usually happens when I play with my mates is that one of us will go off on his own, and invariably be in really crappy shape when the endgame sticks around. The rest of us will usually split into two seperate groups, or if there's three or less of us, only one group, and then the standalone guy. It's funny, because the standalone is usually the one who ends up incurring the wrath of an uber monster.
    BronyHeresy lost as Leah Goodwin the Bold in "CORT XV: The Great Marsh" to the brutal trickery of the Demagogue.
    ---
    "I hope you will put up with a little of my foolishness; but you are already doing that." - 2 Corinthians 11:1

Also go check me out on DeviantArt @ bronyheresy.deviantart.com

Check out my Homebrew over in the Summoner Wars Customs and Dungeon Run Customs, and comment please!