Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: Real errata--suggestions and ideas

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
    Hey guys,
    sorry I didn't reply earlier. You will probably hate me, but I'm really against the lava field idea. Let me explain what are my concerns

- especially if this event works on summoners, it will produce a snow ball situation, were an opponent just ONCE out of position is completely doomed. I'll give an example
    -> Abua has a 3 Life Makeida Ru on the field next to eleins wall, hiding abua behind her 2 spaces, so possible fire drake can't hit abua as easily. Elein has the following draw in hand (gr. burn, burn, fire drake, 2 lava fields) That's basically gg. Abua will not only get the fire blast, he can't escape without damage AND can't block fire drake, as every unit that tries to block will take 2 damage). That's huge even if lava field does not work on summoners.
    - offenses can be completely shut down by this event, destroying offensive pushes, while it does nothing to pure "fire and forget" assassination (SE, JE style, Torgan shift+for glory)
    - Elein does NOT need more defense, except means to defend vs. multi attacks - Saturos, Duggle, for Glory and so on
    - Elein struggled the most in games, where he needs to attack - which with the loss of magic drain will be in a lot of games

That's why I think IF we discuss about magic drain replacement it should be something like the rebirth ideas we had before. It's the concept of helping elein to actually burn through his deck and push with his champs and direct damage (try to play a FireDrake, Kaberos, Lalaya, FireLing, Changeline deck, it's better than you think at offense). The biggest problem of Elein when mounting an attack is that if he loses board position just once, it's actually game. So that's were rebirth could give a cool opportunity, while on the same time help out with the weaknesses to unit destruction/multi attacks/blood summons.

My propose would be

Rebirth
    "When a PE none summoner unit you control is destroyed, you may immediately place this card on top of that unit. As long as this card is on the unit it cannot be destroyed and remains on the battlefield. During your summon phase, you may reveal a common unit from your hand and spent it's summon cost. The unit under this Rebirth card has as many life points remaining as the revealed common unit or the units maximum life value, whichever is lower. At the end of your summon phase, discard this card."

Hope it's understandable. The idea is that you save a unit from dying, denying a magic and the unit still blocks / protects Elein. Further on the next turn, you need to spent magic, as if you summon a common unit, to revitalize the unit - resulting in that unit having as many hit points as the revealed common from your hand. However, I don't want a 3 life warrior, so if the original unit has only 1 life, it also can only regain 1 life. This protects board position, allows for save blocker (important vs. Saturos) and well can make your champ push quite scarry (FireDrake + rebirth + FP cultist is quite potent). If it turns out to be too good, then restriction to common units is a great option, as changeling make this a 0 cost event, which just denies the oppoent 1 magic, soaks up an attack and you gonna keep that flanking warrior as well.

Economically it has the potential that is needed to justify loosing magic drain. While with 0 cost commons it's very cheap, the option to use it on cultists or FireBeasts to regain a 3 life champ is obviously also a great option. For the base deck, at least it makes guardians a tiny bit more useful.

It would not be a great idea to allow this to be played on Elein (would be just too good)!
    This sounds cool. But too be honest, I'll probably be happy with anything that removes Magic Drain.
    Shard the Void Mutant in The Dance of Devils
    Nicholas the Honor Guard in Light's Corruption
    Talu the REAL TWIN in The Ice Wedding

Hey guys,
    sorry I didn't reply earlier. You will probably hate me, but I'm really against the lava field idea. Let me explain what are my concerns

- especially if this event works on summoners, it will produce a snow ball situation, were an opponent just ONCE out of position is completely doomed. I'll give an example
    -> Abua has a 3 Life Makeida Ru on the field next to eleins wall, hiding abua behind her 2 spaces, so possible fire drake can't hit abua as easily. Elein has the following draw in hand (gr. burn, burn, fire drake, 2 lava fields) That's basically gg. Abua will not only get the fire blast, he can't escape without damage AND can't block fire drake, as every unit that tries to block will take 2 damage). That's huge even if lava field does not work on summoners.
    - offenses can be completely shut down by this event, destroying offensive pushes, while it does nothing to pure "fire and forget" assassination (SE, JE style, Torgan shift+for glory)
    - Elein does NOT need more defense, except means to defend vs. multi attacks - Saturos, Duggle, for Glory and so on
    - Elein struggled the most in games, where he needs to attack - which with the loss of magic drain will be in a lot of games

That's why I think IF we discuss about magic drain replacement it should be something like the rebirth ideas we had before. It's the concept of helping elein to actually burn through his deck and push with his champs and direct damage (try to play a FireDrake, Kaberos, Lalaya, FireLing, Changeline deck, it's better than you think at offense). The biggest problem of Elein when mounting an attack is that if he loses board position just once, it's actually game. So that's were rebirth could give a cool opportunity, while on the same time help out with the weaknesses to unit destruction/multi attacks/blood summons.

My propose would be

Rebirth
    "When a PE none summoner unit you control is destroyed, you may immediately place this card on top of that unit. As long as this card is on the unit it cannot be destroyed and remains on the battlefield. During your summon phase, you may reveal a common unit from your hand and spent it's summon cost. The unit under this Rebirth card has as many life points remaining as the revealed common unit or the units maximum life value, whichever is lower. At the end of your summon phase, discard this card."

Hope it's understandable. The idea is that you save a unit from dying, denying a magic and the unit still blocks / protects Elein. Further on the next turn, you need to spent magic, as if you summon a common unit, to revitalize the unit - resulting in that unit having as many hit points as the revealed common from your hand. However, I don't want a 3 life warrior, so if the original unit has only 1 life, it also can only regain 1 life. This protects board position, allows for save blocker (important vs. Saturos) and well can make your champ push quite scarry (FireDrake + rebirth + FP cultist is quite potent). If it turns out to be too good, then restriction to common units is a great option, as changeling make this a 0 cost event, which just denies the oppoent 1 magic, soaks up an attack and you gonna keep that flanking warrior as well.

Economically it has the potential that is needed to justify loosing magic drain. While with 0 cost commons it's very cheap, the option to use it on cultists or FireBeasts to regain a 3 life champ is obviously also a great option. For the base deck, at least it makes guardians a tiny bit more useful.

It would not be a great idea to allow this to be played on Elein (would be just too good)!
    Would this be enough to help Elien from assassination factions?

in any case I hope the event only works till the next summon phase, otherwise it would stay there forever blocking all units.

Would you prefer this wording?

Rebirth
    "When a PE none summoner unit you control is destroyed, you may immediately place this card on top of that unit. As long as this card is on the unit it cannot be destroyed and remains on the battlefield. During your summon phase, remove this card and place it on your discard pile, you may reveal a common unit from your hand and spend it's summon cost. Remove as many wounds from the card under Rebirth as life points on the common unit revealed"

Alternatively, why dont just summon a new card where the destroyed one was? it might be simpler to word and quite similar in power if you can send the killed unit to your magic pile.
    In any case, this one or lava fields are better than MD, no more MD other than VLOX please!!!!!!

yeah the rebirth card is discarded at the end of your summon phase for sure (if you haven't payed for the effect the unit then gets destroyed and goes to your opponents magic pile as normal)

While your version is simpler, it will be much weaker and often mean the unit cannot be saved. If your FireDrake has 2 life remaining and my Elut goes 4/4 that means 9 wounds are on him, and even a FireBeast will only give him 1 single lifpoint.

I personally think elein is fine vs assassination, except vs. factions that can easily turn/bypass his blockers with multi attacks from one lane. This will save him from a single line attack and he keeps board position.

alternatively, we could go with
    put rebirth card on top to save the unit, destroy both cards (unit+rebirth) at start of summon phase, you may summon on this spot during your event phase

that will be a combo of shadows (denys magic, unit goes into your magic) + summoning surge (event goes into magic so a total of +2 magic & extra summoning rule for this turn)
    - gives +2 magic, -1 for opponent.
    - allows combo with a hero is born
    - can protect ellein vs. multi attacks
    - great to start a push as you maintain board position and your changeling just got into HellfireDrake
    Last edited by jwalker; Today at 06:53 AM.

Actually I really start to like this new version of it a lot more, think it's cleaner and easier while doing all the same positiv things we want from this event. Let's try to prase it properly

Phoenix Rebirth

When a none summoner PE unit you control would be destroyed, place this card on top of this unit. The unit can't be destroyed or affected by card effects. At the end of your next event phase this rebirth card and all cards below are placed into your magic pile and you may immediately summon a unit onto the same space.

I'm sure CC can phrase it much better but the way I used here, we have the "blocker remains on the battlefield", "both cards go to magic" and "event phase summon" covered. I think the hidden combo with a Hero is born is kinda nice.
    Last edited by jwalker; Today at 07:14 AM.

Actually I really start to like this new version of it a lot more, think it's cleaner and easier while doing all the same positiv things we want from this event. Let's try to prase it properly

Phoenix Rebirth

When a none summoner PE unit you control would be destroyed, place this card on top of this unit. The unit can't be destroyed or affected by card effects. At the end of your next event phase this rebirth card and all cards below are placed into your magic pile and you may immediately summon a unit onto the same space.

I'm sure CC can phrase it much better but the way I used here, we have the "blocker remains on the battlefield", "both cards go to magic" and "event phase summon" covered. I think the hidden combo with a Hero is born is kinda nice.
    I like this much better than the previous one! I think this would work well!!

I like it! Here's my stab at simplifying.

The original
    Phoenix Rebirth. When a none summoner PE unit you control would be destroyed, place this card on top of this unit. The unit can't be destroyed or affected by card effects. At the end of your next event phase this rebirth card and all cards below are placed into your magic pile and you may immediately summon a unit onto the same space.

Re-wording
    Rebirth. When a Phoenix Elf Unit you control would be destroyed, place this card under it. While this card is under it, it cannot be destroyed or moved. During your next Summon Phase, place it and all cards under it in your Magic Pile. You may summon a Unit in the space it occupied.

- Can remove "non-summoner" clause. If you played it on Elien, it would prevent Elien from immediately dying. However, Elien would just die at the start of your next event phase. This can't change the game's outcome bc Elien has no units that can do damage in that time frame (besides the Riposte units; however, you just avoid those units if you'd otherwise win).
    - I think it makes more sense for timing to be Summon Phase instead of Event Phase. I'm not sure if anything's gained durng the Event Phase (except you can't use the newly gained magic to summon something else). Therefore, since nothing's gained, I think it just makes sense to make summoning happen during the Summon Phase.
    - I think it's ok to remove the "card effect" clause. The value of this clause I think is it just prevents opponent from moving your unit around, which can help protect Elien. In the alternative, it's shorter and cleaner to just add "or moved" to after "cannot be destroyed."
    - You can remove the "immediately" from the "immediately summon" clause. The rule with event cards is that they must be resolved at that moment unless saying otherwise. For example, the reason you can summon throughout your entire event phase with Summoning Surge or Channel Summon is because they specifically say that. If they did not, you'd have to summon immediately at that moment you're resolving the event card.
    - Titling. I prefer Rebirth just because it's shorter and it's already implied that it's a Phoenix rebirth because the event only applies to a PE. This is a really small point, though.
    Last edited by commandercool; Today at 04:40 PM.

Event phase opens up a Hero is Born + this event allows to immediately summon the Champ. Further, Magic gained via burns can be used immediately.

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132