Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: Real errata--suggestions and ideas

I have not read much in this thread.

But I like Icanela idea of knock around. I think when a faction have repeated ability makes deck building very fun and thematic. Look at PE precise ability and how it spread across a few unit.

I have no idea what you guys going to do, since I am not at all kept in touch here. But if an event grant all unit knock around would be a fun turn... Afterall, playing mountains goat is all about fun formation.

Hey Sauam,
    I didn't dislike the idea per se but for us there is a fine line for "cool" and "balanced and applicable". If we decide on changes, then there are several things to consider - even how an event could be written. We sometimes needed to take away some small cool parts of our idea, because an event text would be double the length and hard to understand. So we need to make a lot of hard choices.

Why I currently like to test the simple version first

1) The event's power is already pretty good. Once a dice was rolled and it did miss, turning it into a hit means 1 more wound than before: so 1 card equals 1 wound. That's the power of burn, so not to bad.
    2) The event has plenty of useful and obvious combos with the original deck. You can turn extremely important dice into a hit. This can be useful for some "onslought" turns, but it is especially useful on units like Ossa and Korbolden. Both units that are not heavily used and were a single dice miss has a huge impact (Korbolden will not deal his 3 damage and Ossa will not thunder clap many units).

Now my thoughts why adding knockaround is not a trivial decision:

1) Knockaround does trigger on any attack, but not on abilities (like Ossa's thunder clap) BUT it does trigger on ranged attacks. Unless we change the text and ADD another ability that is super close to knock around but only on melee it's a massive change to add knockaround, because of the potential it adds to ranged units.

Just an example - I play unify + onslought on my Quen and shoot. I miss one dice and knockaround a champion that is infront of the summoner. On my turn I shoot at the opponent summoner, PULL him next to quen (cause knockaround allows that mechanically) and then shoot again to knock around the summoner 3 to the right into my commons. These kind of control vs. summoner is way to powerful and should be used with care. (BTW this can be currently done only with Moyra + 2x change form into a Brute+woeful brother and master bullok to add bow symbol to moyra)

2) The event text gets massive and hard to understand. Currently it's a very elegant and simple text - make one dice hit, that's it. Once you add a melee only knockaround it's getting a lot more and the timing get's confusing - you need to miss to get knockaround. We can't allow "wound = knockaround" because of ranged shenanigans and Ossa's Thunderclap at 3 spaces but then it get's very ugly to write up.

3) You already have a combo with brutes - you can make them reliably hit. If you want a deck where brutes can be a core unit, you should play Sundaved. I think it's important to not overshadow other summoners too much, so there is a reason to play them over the others.
    Last edited by jwalker; 07-22-2019 at 04:40 AM.

I have testd the current version with CC a week ago and the event works nice. He played Mugglug and in both games I played Malenatar.

I felt Malenatar was not strong enough for this MU, we still need to play the reverse match as it could be:

1- I am not a good Malenatar player.
    2- My build was not the best for this MU or CC build was much better?
    3- My first game I had 3 champs since the second round which hand-clogged me, but this only happened the first match, we started a second one which was more balanced but I never got to put Mug in any danger.

I am hoping to have the reverse match soon to keep testing.

This might be a good mu to test these changes. The original malenatar should have a hard time in this mu due tto how the starting savager makes any rush hard to pull off and muggligg being hard to assassinate. Winning a toe to toe battle really requires some good unify/onslaught turns. Now with the change to superior execution i think wr get some more options and can create a versatile deck tthat should do fine.

Note also: in most testgames of second summoners or alliance we usually see a great learning curve after 3-4 matches

The deck i would recommand (or i will play on the next session)
    Growden+ mingle: both for 3/6 for 6 stats. The can kill vw relatively reliable and are great targets for unify +onsaught/commander
    Korbolden: save both superior execurion gor this guy to bypass vine guard or remove a savager/boarboon. Together with stormmages crazy vineguard turns are denyed. Further the 6 health and minor ranged attack to clear vws is not bad.
    4x stormmages: great potential with onslaught, possible combos with guards, aspirant/malenatar
    5x aspirant: fire and forget common that adds some movement utility. Can be used to bring stormmages on a vw and then hope the stormmage fails to move of so the wounded stormmage dies after his attack. Once ensnares are played can be combined witg guards
    3 guards: only play these early or mid game in combo with unify to protect your champs/malenatar. Lategame you can summon these to protect stormmages and aspirants
    2 commander: only summon these if you have a perfect setup (champ out +unify+onslought+commander for game deciding turn)

This deck has many small synergys implemented that should provide the flexibility you need to pull these off despite muggluggs pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
    This might be a good mu to test these changes. The original malenatar should have a hard time in this mu due tto how the starting savager makes any rush hard to pull off and muggligg being hard to assassinate. Winning a toe to toe battle really requires some good unify/onslaught turns. Now with the change to superior execution i think wr get some more options and can create a versatile deck tthat should do fine.

Note also: in most testgames of second summoners or alliance we usually see a great learning curve after 3-4 matches

The deck i would recommand (or i will play on the next session)
    Growden+ mingle: both for 3/6 for 6 stats. The can kill vw relatively reliable and are great targets for unify +onsaught/commander
    Korbolden: save both superior execurion gor this guy to bypass vine guard or remove a savager/boarboon. Together with stormmages crazy vineguard turns are denyed. Further the 6 health and minor ranged attack to clear vws is not bad.
    4x stormmages: great potential with onslaught, possible combos with guards, aspirant/malenatar
    5x aspirant: fire and forget common that adds some movement utility. Can be used to bring stormmages on a vw and then hope the stormmage fails to move of so the wounded stormmage dies after his attack. Once ensnares are played can be combined witg guards
    3 guards: only play these early or mid game in combo with unify to protect your champs/malenatar. Lategame you can summon these to protect stormmages and aspirants
    2 commander: only summon these if you have a perfect setup (champ out +unify+onslought+commander for game deciding turn)

This deck has many small synergys implemented that should provide the flexibility you need to pull these off despite muggluggs pressure.
    Cool ideas here... we should test this deck against Mugg.

@Lcanela, jwalker and I tried the deck. The deck was a little better. I played Mugglug and he played Malenatar. Similar results, though. Really hard matchup for Malenatar that feels pretty bad for Malenatar, too. This takes into consideration that jwalker has a skill edge on me, but in this matchup, I have more experience with Mugglug than he has with Malenatar.

We made a slight tweak to Superior Execution to give Mal a little more economic punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauam View Post
    I have not read much in this thread.

But I like Icanela idea of knock around. I think when a faction have repeated ability makes deck building very fun and thematic. Look at PE precise ability and how it spread across a few unit.

I have no idea what you guys going to do, since I am not at all kept in touch here. But if an event grant all unit knock around would be a fun turn... Afterall, playing mountains goat is all about fun formation.
    Hey Sauam,
    since we decided to change our first suit of malenatar, we were able to include your suggestion. Have a look at the errata project thread.

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536