Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Fighting the dice, a easy and effective way to compensate for dice luck?

I think the dice counter idea is pretty good, but I think dice cards is simpler and isn't as easy to manipulate as people think. Again, don't let players review discard piles and limit them to only attacks versus enemy units. Roll any other attack or check.

Maybe that's true, but it needs testing.

Even if it's true, it becomes a fine solution just for dice. But an additional major problem with the game is too few commons bc of too little magic. If you're trying to win against the best players, how many commons can you actually summon? I think Waterd's rule is the perfect for that problem. If you look too narrowly, you just see dice, but if you look broadly, the point of solving the dice isto make the game better, and you also see the problem of too few commons. Of course, if you think too few commons isn't a problem, what I'm saying won't speak to you, and I don't think I can convince you. But for these reasons, even if dice cards are the best solution for dice, they're not the best solution for the game.
    Last edited by commandercool; 10-25-2017 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by commandercool View Post
    Dice Counter. This card is a Dice Counter. It may have up to 3 Wound Markers on it, and starts with 0 Wound Markers. Once during your turn, when you roll more Misses than Hits, you may place 1 Wound Marker on this card. At the beginning of your turn, if this card has 3 Wound Markers on it, you may remove all Wound Markers to place 1 card from your Discard Pile on top of your Magic Pile.
    CC if this is the rule you are referencing, it isn't specific to commons. Maybe remove 3 wound tokens when summoning a common to lower the cost by 1.

NBurg, my man! That’s actually something I was thinking about and like. Thanks for posting it.

Dice cards suggestion:

Shuffle 3 packs of 6 cards from 1 to 6 into a first deck(18 cards)
    Shuffle 3 other packs and add them on the previous deck
    And repeat this 2 times (maybe one time is enough).
    You now have a deck with 4x18 = 72 dice cards. That should be enough for all the attacks during the game.

You are not allowed to view discard dice cards (neither the card number in draw pile or discard pile).

In most of cases, you need to have a good memory (far better than mine) to guess the next card value.
    Of course if the 6 firsts cards are 1 and 2, no need to have any memory, but even in this case the information is shared by both players, so it's "fair".

When the game is finished, no need to sort dice cards: take the 18 cards in the bottom of dicard pile, it's your first deck and so on...
    Last edited by Batou31; 10-26-2017 at 12:23 PM.

Played a match with card dice tonight. Each player with a 24 card deck (i.e. 1-6 x 4). We only drew for attacks vs opponent's units. For wall attacks, self attacks and special checks we used dice. We didn't allow review of our discard piles, only memory. We drew for each attack die even if unit died before final cards. It worked very well. The match felt fairer than our first match where I had a small dice edge.

This is really encouraging. Thanks for trying and posting about it NBurg! I feel like we’re moving in a positive direction toward solving one of worst problems in SW

Quote Originally Posted by Nburghardt View Post
    Played a match with card dice tonight. Each player with a 24 card deck (i.e. 1-6 x 4). We only drew for attacks vs opponent's units. For wall attacks, self attacks and special checks we used dice. We didn't allow review of our discard piles, only memory. We drew for each attack die even if unit died before final cards. It worked very well. The match felt fairer than our first match where I had a small dice edge.
    Why would the cards only be used for attacks to enemies? I think I would use it for every attack. Would only use dice for anything other than attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by lcanela View Post
    Why would the cards only be used for attacks to enemies? I think I would use it for every attack. Would only use dice for anything other than attacks.
    We limited to only attacks vs enemy units to reduce the amount of "gaming" the system you can do. If you use it for all dice rolls and you either count cards or review discard decks and have a disproportionate number of misses left, you can waste those attacks on walls or your own units. Using it for only attacks on enemy units means the system is reserved for those dice rolls that really matter the most.

I recommend people try it, especially if the dice are a frustration for you. I think the ability to game the system isn't as widespread with our rules. You need a lot of misses left in your deck, so a very hot deck for the first 2/3rds. With our rules the best you could do is do extra attack dice on low health targets, so you'd need that circumstance available too. Most times you won't have a huge imbalance in your final cards so it's a non issue then anyway.

The only downside to me is that I find the dice exciting, so you lose some tension, but it definitely felt more fair and that strategy gained more edge.
    ----
    I just want to add that the cards still provide tension; our game had a moment for each of us where the cards went ice cold for a big turn, so there is still drama. The upside is that you can then rebound and feel like your odds should imorove until the end of your dice deck. You have 1/3 miss cards so unless you've seen them all nothing is a guarantee. This method does a nice job minimizing that feeling of one player getting cheated by unlucky dice.
    Last edited by Nburghardt; 10-31-2017 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nburghardt View Post
    Played a match with card dice tonight(...) It worked very well. The match felt fairer than our first match where I had a small dice edge.
    I'm glad to read this.

Do you have an idea of the number of dice cards you've played?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast