Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drustan Warmonger, custom summoner of the Mercenaries

Default Drustan Warmonger, custom summoner of the Mercenaries

Hello everyone, this is my first attempt to custom creation and since I usually play with the same people there could be aspects that have gone unnoticed, even though this summoner have been tested in some actual game.

First of all, I would like to introduce the basic concept: as I wrote in some old thread I was hoping for something different for the second summoner of the mercenaries. I don't dislike Farrah, but since Rallul is so deeply connected with Stone Golems and has no use for many of the Mercenaries units I hoped to find a summoner who could make all of them work. We ended up with Farrah, which is fun, but for her very nature she has little use for those units too.
    So I decided to create a summoner for that purpose, he doesn't have new units because he uses 1 Bouncer, 1 Deamon Hand and 1 Vermin as his starters.
    I wanted him to be strong but not insanely OP as Rallul, and the idea was to encourage aggressive play (even though turtling is still possible). He should be a veteran of many wars, someone used to put on a siege and breach walls thanks to his battle expertise.

Here he is:

SUMMONER
    Drustan Warmonger
    AV 3 (sword)
    HP 7
    Ability: PLUNDER: when an attack from a Common Unit you control inflicts one or more wounds to a wall, draw a card.

EVENTS

GUERRILLA TACTICS (x2)
    After your Attack Phase this turn you can execute a second Movement Phase. In the second Movement Phase you cannot resolve "instead of move" abilities.

FORGED IN BATTLE (x1)
    Choose a Mercenary Common Unit in play and place it into your magic pile. You may immediately summon a Champion Unit from your hand in it's place.

DRAIN GODSHOME (x1)
    For each wall on the battlefield you can remove wound markers from adjacent Common and Champion Units and place them on that wall, one for each Unit, to a maximum of three moved wounds total per wall.

FORCED RECRUITMENT (x2)
    Take two Common Units from your discard pile, regardless of their faction, and place them adjacent to Drustan Warmonger under your control paying their summoning cost.

WARRIOR FURY (x2)
    Untill the beginning of your next turn one Mercenary Common Unit under your control receives the following ability:
    BERSERK: add 3 to this unit's attack value if it's adjecent to at least 2 enemy cards. If this Unit is attacked, it's wounded with results of 2 or higher.

ECLECTIC STRATEGY (x1)
    For each different type of Common Unit you control on the battlefield move a card from your discard pile to your magic pile.

I'm still testing it and so far he didn't seem overpowered, nor too weak. I like the fact that he encourages attacking opponent walls, and should have good synergy with both Vermins and Bouncers (due to Guerrilla Tactics) and should be able to use Deamon Hands without too risks.
    The only major problem that comes to my mind is that Rune Mages could be OP in this deck, but I haven't test it with Rallul's Units yet.
    Let me know what you think about it, or if you have any suggestions. Any feedback is very appreciated.

NB: English isn't my first language, so wording could be more confusing than necessary.
    Last edited by Fing80; 04-12-2018 at 05:11 PM.

hey fing,
    some good ideas inside. Here my feedback - I think a balanced faction should have a maximum of one S event, one or two A+ events or more if no S, some A events and some B and C events to be balanced.

Examples:
    Moyra:
    Lightning: A+ maybe S
    Blinding light: A+
    Change form: B
    Divine protection: B

Frick:
    Join the horde: A+
    Hordes of Rabble: B+
    Throw Rocks: B+

1)Guerrilla tactics: like it - it's very powerful but I like it. I see however a A+ event (2x)
    2)Forged in battle: This is again a pretty strong event, as it allows a wounded common to be "recycled". A strong economic event that also allows event summon of a champ. Another A+ event and this event is ESPECIALLY troublesome with the common event below, as you can basically get -3-5 summon cost easily vs. some factions (see below)
    3)Drain of godshome: Nice event with a cool tough - it's pretty good but feels in line, so I call it a B event.
    4)Forced recruitment: Oh now this one is just bad, as it basically allow 2x 4-5 cost mutations to be "reinforced" without any restriction and cards are drawn from discard inbstead of hand. Combined with how sturdy your commons can become with Drain of 5)godshome and then get's recycled with Forged battle this is just a simple S event and this (x2)
    6)Warrior fury: I think it's another S class event as it's basically a better Heroic feat, especially troublesome with Apprentice mages (who cares about loosing a 1 life unit), Saella (5 precise) and Duggle (2x 5 attack). So another 2x S events.
    Eclectic strategy: we have two economic events and here comes another economic event. I'm not sure this one was really needed. probably an A event (has restriction but can be quite powerful).

So we have

4x S
    3x A+
    1x A
    1x B

I haven't played it but my first analysis tells me this can't be balanced, especially vs. factions like SO, JE and Filth where mass free costly commons that then allow a heavy champ be summons cheep is too easy.

I'd propose

1) stays
    2) flat -2 magic to offset the card you loose and the event investment, you still get the ability to summon a champ during the event phase. This is your situational event and you B to C event
    3) stays
    4) must pay the summon cost (you still get the units from the discard pile and therefore save one card+flexiblity). Still a solid B event
    5) I'd limit it to commons only, but then still it's better than heroic feat, as you most likely do not really care about that fragile common to die. Consider to change it to backstab (like the thief ability). This can be cool with Bounders, Lukastor, Duggle, Forget in battle+Wall, Urik combo and so on. So still as powerful but much more restricted. Would see it as a B+ event then, maybe A
    6) since I proposed to tune down most of the economic parts of this deck, I guess this one can stay now

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
    hey fing,
    1) stays
    2) flat -2 magic to offset the card you loose and the event investment, you still get the ability to summon a champ during the event phase. This is your situational event and you B to C event
    3) stays
    4) must pay the summon cost (you still get the units from the discard pile and therefore save one card+flexiblity). Still a solid B event
    5) I'd limit it to commons only, but then still it's better than heroic feat, as you most likely do not really care about that fragile common to die. Consider to change it to backstab (like the thief ability). This can be cool with Bounders, Lukastor, Duggle, Forget in battle+Wall, Urik combo and so on. So still as powerful but much more restricted. Would see it as a B+ event then, maybe A
    6) since I proposed to tune down most of the economic parts of this deck, I guess this one can stay now

Cheers
    Thank you for your feeback.
    I will try your suggestions, they seem very reasonable, but the point 2) becomes quite complicated now. I'd rather find another way to change that event, the "you pay the difference -2" is not that immediate during play. Maybe I'l change it entirely, I already have economic events, as you pointed out.

I tried to edit my first post, but apparently I can't. However I made changes in the event, they are now:

GUERRILLA TACTICS (x2)
    After your Attack Phase this turn you can execute a second Movement Phase.

FORGED IN BATTLE (x1)
    Discard a Mercenary Common Unit in play and Summon a Champion Unit from your hand in it's place. The summoning cost of this Champion is lowered by 2.

DRAIN GODSHOME (x1)
    For each wall on the battlefield you can remove wound markers from adjacent units and place them on that wall, one at time, to a maximum of three moved wounds total per wall.

FORCED RECRUITMENT (x2)
    Take two Common Units from your discard pile, regardless of their faction, and place them adjacent to Drustan Warmonger under your control paying their summoning cost.

WARRIOR FURY (x2)
    Untill the beginning of your next turn one Mercenary Common Unit under your control receives the following ability:
    BERSERK: add 3 to this unit's attack value if it's adjecent to at least 2 enemy cards. If this Unit is attacked, it's wounded with results of 2 or higher.

ECLECTIC STRATEGY (x1)
    For each different type of Common Unit you control on the battlefield move a card from your discard pile to your magic pile.

So, I took Jwalker advice on Forged in battle and Forced recruitment, but since I'm not a fan of rogues mechanic I changed Warrior Fury to be common only (I originally intended it to be this way, I forgot to write it down) and restrict it to a unit who is adjecent to at least two enemy card, making it more situational.

I have a couple of games with Drustan last night with this new version, but they weren't a good test.
    I used this deck:

5 Vermin, 4 Bouncer, 3 Deamon Hands, 4 Sword Grounders, 2 Apprentice Mage
    Hulgorad, Saella, Khan Queso

I won easily against Krusk, but it was barely a game: my dice were very generous and my opponent kept rolling 1 and 2, in this situation you can beat Rallul with cave goblins.
    The second game I lost, but was a strange game as well. My events ended up on th bottom of my deck, I try to Pillage a lot to get to them, but I underestimated Grognack's ability to defend his walls, by the time I was able to pull out a champ I was struggling, and game was lost. And was my fault, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Fing80 View Post

DRAIN GODSHOME (x1)
    For each wall on the battlefield you can remove wound markers from adjacent units and place them on that wall, one at time, to a maximum of three moved wounds total per wall.
    Sorry this was an oversight on my part. I just realized this event is not capped and NOT restricted to commons. I kind of thought it's commons only. With champions being possible, this event needs a cap (only one wound maybe) or just restrict it to commons. At the moments you can basically summon a heavy champ, bang on opponent wall and once the opponent reacts and try to get rid of him just heal up 3. If you also use your own wall or your champ is adjacent to two other walls, the healvy champs can heal up to 6 (5 on turt is also insane). Now you can also use ranged champs like Mundol and heal him with your own walls while still healing a champ on the opponent wall. This all is just much too strong. Sorry I was convinced it's only common units.

Oh wow just realized you allow your 7 life summoner to be healed for 6 life with this event. This needs changed, best to commons only (it also works on opponent units, so easy to bring down walls)

FORGED IN BATTLE (x1)
    Discard a Mercenary Common Unit in play and Summon a Champion Unit from your hand in it's place. The summoning cost of this Champion is lowered by 2.
    Since this is basically Naan'Nashi but better (in every way at the moment) and possible with any champion, maybe consider that the champ retains the wounds the discarded common has?
    Shard the Void Mutant in The Dance of Devils
    Nicholas the Honor Guard in Light's Corruption
    Talu the REAL TWIN in The Ice Wedding

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
    Sorry this was an oversight on my part. I just realized this event is not capped and NOT restricted to commons. I kind of thought it's commons only. With champions being possible, this event needs a cap (only one wound maybe) or just restrict it to commons. At the moments you can basically summon a heavy champ, bang on opponent wall and once the opponent reacts and try to get rid of him just heal up 3. If you also use your own wall or your champ is adjacent to two other walls, the healvy champs can heal up to 6 (5 on turt is also insane). Now you can also use ranged champs like Mundol and heal him with your own walls while still healing a champ on the opponent wall. This all is just much too strong. Sorry I was convinced it's only common units.

Oh wow just realized you allow your 7 life summoner to be healed for 6 life with this event. This needs changed, best to commons only (it also works on opponent units, so easy to bring down walls)
    You are right this needs to be restricted to commons. It's still good an keep its flavour, which I like. Thematically speaking this and Guerrilla Tactics are the events I like the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Syurtpiutha View Post
    Since this is basically Naan'Nashi but better (in every way at the moment) and possible with any champion, maybe consider that the champ retains the wounds the discarded common has?
    Agreed. You still can summon a champion in place of any common, which in itself is a big advantage, retain wounds is not that bad.

As soon as I'm back home I'll edit the first post with these attunements.

Love the simplicity of these designs.

I somewhat disagree with this reasoning:
    - Syurt, "Since this is basically Naan'Nashi but better (in every way at the moment) and possible with any champion, maybe consider that the champ retains the wounds the discarded common has?"
    - Fing80. "Agreed. You still can summon a champion in place of any common, which in itself is a big advantage, retain wounds is not that bad."

On the one hand, we have several cards (units and events) with champ "special positioning" effects, and some of these are awful, some are mediocre, and some are good.
    - Awful: Ice Golems and Battle Champion.
    - Mediocre: Summoning Surge summon, Naan'Nashi
    - Good: Forced Summon, Channeled Summon, Mirage

It's important to isolate the special positioning aspect of these cards, bc some of these cards are good not bc of special positioning, but bc of economy. On the flip side, some are bad not bc of special positioning, but bc of economy. Battle Champion and IG are bad bc of setup and they're not economic. Positioning portion of Summoning Surge is mediocre bc of setup. Naan'Nashi's setup is fine, but he's overcosted since he takes on wounds, he has no ability after being summoned, and his summon cost is actually 6. If Naan had a summon cost of 4, he'd be perfectly costed. Forced Summon is good not bc of positioning, but bc of economy and also synergy w/Elut Bal+MD. Channeled Summon is good not bc of special positioning (that's ok), but bc of synergy with FOG, Wall Transference, Rune Mage, and even Draw Power. Mirage is good bc of Dinky, Sand Wyrm, and lets you reposition and heal walls (which also helps prevent walls not clogging your hand if you don't want to play them). So you see, none of the mediocre to good special positioning cards are such bc of the special positioning: they're such bc of synergies with other cards and/or economy. I think this is enough to show that special positioning in and of itself is supremely overrated.

Therefore, in a vacuum, your original Forged in Battle (-2 summon cost) looks perfectly fine.

Quote Originally Posted by commandercool View Post
    Love the simplicity of these designs.
    Well, thank you. Generally speaking I'm not fond of events that need to be read three times to be understood. The thing I like most in Summoner Wars is that it plays fast, setup is quick and has no dead times, yet it keeps strategic depth.

Naan'Nashi's setup is fine, but he's overcosted since he takes on wounds, he has no ability after being summoned, and his summon cost is actually 6. If Naan had a summon cost of 4, he'd be perfectly costed.
    I couldn't agree more. You get the chance of an advanced champ, but in the end is a champ with average stats with no ability, so it costs too much.

Therefore, in a vacuum, your original Forged in Battle (-2 summon cost) looks perfectly fine.
    Well, yes, in a vacuum i couldn't object. But I'm afraid here the synergies you talked about are present: if you combo with ECLECTIC STRATEGY you got virtually a lot of magic to spend with Forged in Battle, and with some beefy unit like deamon hands, heavy knights and even sword grounders you have commons that can easily endure a turn in opponent's field, allowing you to pull off Hulgorad or some other big hitter really close to the enemy summoner. And Hulgorad is not Naan'Nashi, he can do nasty things out of a good positioning. That said, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I have to play it both ways for a while before I decide, because on this point probably the discriminant is how good are the other events.

However, I was able to edit my first post, so now the events are updated, with the exception of Forged in Battle.
    Last edited by Fing80; 09-06-2017 at 06:21 PM.

FORGED IN BATTLE (x1)
    You could also consider to just change the -2 magic + wounds into
    Destroy a Mercenary Common Unit (you control is missing here!) in play and Summon a Champion Unit from your hand in it's place. It should be still ok in power as you basically get the special positioning + the "wounded" common as magic. Is still an ok event which is fine considering the other events are quite potent.

Now include Farrah's common units and mingle in the "base" deck and change ECLECTIC STRATEGY (x1) to "units with a different faction symbol" and this would be the second merc summoner I'd have liked instead of Farrah.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast