Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drustan Warmonger, custom summoner of the Mercenaries

That's another interesting proposal. For this event We have now three options:

1) Discard + Pay full -2, no wounds transfered.
    This is solid, but maybe OP since you can pull out an advanced Champ in full health and capability. No problem I there weren't other good events, but this is not the case.

2) Discard + Pay full -2, transfer wounds on champ.
    Still solid, but you will have hard times pulling out champs like Khan Queso or Etch from it since there's no way to heal them and their HP are low. Plus, if the common is onwounded has the same problems than 1.

3) Destroy + Pay full, no discount nor wounds transfered.
    You are basically trading 1 MP with the chance to event summon an advanced champ (or where you need him).

At first look I would say the third seemd the more balanced option, but I have to try it on the field, and next game will be friday evening.

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
    Now include Farrah's common units and mingle in the "base" deck and change ECLECTIC STRATEGY (x1) to "units with a different faction symbol" and this would be the second merc summoner I'd have liked instead of Farrah.
    eh eh, that's the point. Out of jokes, I like Farrah, it's just that to me she is not the Mercenaries SS, she's something else entirely. Even deckbuilding with her mercs works differently, that's why I started to think at Drustan.
    Last edited by Fing80; 09-07-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fing80 View Post

3) Destroy + Pay full, no discount nor wounds transfered.
    You are basically trading 1 MP with the chance to event summon an advanced champ (or where you need him).

At first look I would say the third seemd the more balanced option, but I have to try it on the field, and next game will be friday evening.
    I tried some other games and with other lineups, using mercs drom Rallul's and Farrah's decks, I'm quite satisfied with the outcome. The third option seems the more balanced so far, but I miss the interesting option of using Forged in Battle to discard a wounded Deamon Hand to prevent it form wound my summoner. Since this may be the synergy I was looking for when I designed this card in the first place, I could change the event in this way:

FORGED IN BATTLE (x1)
    Discard a Mercenary Common Unit in play and Summon a Champion Unit from your hand in it's place. The summoning cost of this Champion is lowered by 1.

This keeps the magic count of the third option without loosing the synergy with DH.

I tried some other games and with other lineups, using mercs drom Rallul's and Farrah's decks, I'm quite satisfied with the outcome. The third option seems the more balanced so far, but I miss the interesting option of using Forged in Battle to discard a wounded Deamon Hand to prevent it form wound my summoner. Since this may be the synergy I was looking for when I designed this card in the first place, I could change the event in this way:

FORGED IN BATTLE (x1)
    Discard a Mercenary Common Unit in play and Summon a Champion Unit from your hand in it's place. The summoning cost of this Champion is lowered by 1.

This keeps the magic count of the third option without loosing the synergy with DH.
    The wording is strange and not needed.
    "Choose a Mercenary Common Unit in play and place it into your magic pile. You may immediately summon a Champion Unit from your hand in it's place"
    Does the same, keep demon hand synergy

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
    The wording is strange and not needed.
    "Choose a Mercenary Common Unit in play and place it into your magic pile. You may immediately summon a Champion Unit from your hand in it's place"
    Does the same, keep demon hand synergy
    Sounds good, as I mentioned I'm not a native speaker, so wording can be strange at times.
    I like this solution, as soon as I'm on my pc at home I will updtate the original post, the coockie policy on the computer I'm using right now is too strict and I can't edit posts because the session expires immediatly.

Sounds good, as I mentioned I'm not a native speaker, so wording can be strange at times.
    I like this solution, as soon as I'm on my pc at home I will updtate the original post, the coockie policy on the computer I'm using right now is too strict and I can't edit posts because the session expires immediatly.
    not a native myself - I took this idea from the gorgon mechanic
    https://www.plaidhatgames.com/games/...s/deep-benders

cheers

GUERRILLA TACTICS (x2)
    After your Attack Phase this turn you can execute a second Movement Phase.
    Rune Mage could be insane. If it would be to OP, you may consider adding: during this phase units can't use abilities "instead of move noramally".
    Ow... Ow... Owlord!

Quote Originally Posted by owlord View Post
    Rune Mage could be insane. If it would be to OP, you may consider adding: during this phase units can't use abilities "instead of move noramally".
    Honestly, Rune Mages were my first concern about this deck, I was afraid they could be OP because of this event and Drustan's ability.
    I need more games with it but untill now they didn't shine more than usual. Well, of course they did good, bud not overwhelming good.
    You can't abuse Drustan ability because since he hasn't a Magic Pulse you risk hand clog. It happened a couple of times in our games, you basically become dependent on hitting the walls if you don't want to build heavily (which by the way turned up to be a very effective way to play this Summoner).
    The event is a different story. It is a very powerful combo, but not as easy to pull off effectively as I feared because the opponent knows it and he knows you're very good at destroy walls, so he tends to protect them very well. In our match there was rarely more than one rune mage at time near a wall, so the event wasn't that insane.
    But you're right, this is the unit that needs the more testing.
    I'll try to use them more aggressively in next matches and see how it goes. If it turns out to be OP I'll limit the event as you suggested.

It's been a while, and I've used Drustan many times since my last update to this topic. I ended up in adding the "no instead of moving abilities" to GUERRILLA TACTICS, mainly because of Rune Mages were just too good.

Moreover I've removed the "Common only" clause in DRAIN GODSHOME because it basically beacme difficult to set up, instead I've capped moved wounds to one per unit.
    This is the result:

DRAIN GODSHOME (x1)
    For each wall on the battlefield you can remove wound markers from adjacent Common and Champion Units and place them on that wall, one for each Unit, to a maximum of three moved wounds total per wall.

I've tried it on the field and it didn't feel overpowered, what do you think?

I've updated the main post to reflect these changes.
    Last edited by Fing80; 04-12-2018 at 05:11 PM.

They seem interesting. Do you try to summon and hide a bunch of different common types to get the most magic back? Any notable favorite strategies? Anything seem like it’s too situational or dull?

Quote Originally Posted by Nburghardt View Post
    They seem interesting. Do you try to summon and hide a bunch of different common types to get the most magic back?
    I assume you're referring to ECLECTIC STRATEGY. That's an option, but depends on your tactics. Meny people prefer to have 3-4 types of commons, which is still a good cashback, but adding a 0 coster like Apprentice Mage to put down to maximize the magic return seems effective.

Any notable favorite strategies?
    Well, I find Vermin very interesting in this deck due to GUERRILLA TACTICS, they get to use their ability twice in a round and it means the extra damage triggers often. Of course, this is true also for Khan Queso. Besides that, Deamon Hands can last longer if you use well DRAIN GODSHOME and you can recycle one with FORGED IN BATTLE to avoid a damage to your Summoner. Magos is a good idea if you plan to make wide use of Drustan's ability, because you risk hand clog.
    I like to go heavy on commons with him, but it's really a matter of tastes, it's not like mercenaries miss good champs!

Anything seem like itÂ’s too situational or dull?
    No, not so far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12