Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advanced Gameplay Rule Clarifications

These are the most confusing rules to me, and I've never put the time into understanding them. From what I've read here, there are three categories:

1. Instead of moving; instead of moving normally; instead of attacking
    - Rule: If a Unit can't move, it can't use an ability that reads, "instead of moving" or "instead of moving normally;" if the Unit can't attack, it can't use an ability that says, "Instead of attacking."
    - Example: A Renegade is adjacent to a GD Defender or starts a turn adjacent to a BD Deceiver. The Renegade cannot attack instead of moving, because it cannot move; it cannot move instead of attacking, because it cannot move.
    - Commentary. "Instead of moving normally" is a synonym for "instead of moving."

2. Before moving with
    - Rule: Even if the Unit cannot move, it can use the ability.
    - Example: A Shadow Warrior is adjacent to a GD Defender or starts a turn adjacent to a BD Deceiver. The Shadow Warrior can BLOOD STEP adjacent to a wounded SE Unit you control.
    - Criticism: It makes more sense to me that a Shadow Warrior adjacent to a GD Defender can't BLOOD STEP adjacent to a wounded SE Unit you control. It's weird bc: (1) using BLOOD STEP takes 1 movement "slot;" (2) it means you're doing something before X even though you can't do X; (3) if you couldn't use BLOOD STEP in this situation, then this is just another variation of category 1, which would make this area of the rules simpler, but instead is an additional, extremely narrow category that only applies to the Shadow Warrior, and therefore adds a complication without much benefit.

3. May not be attacked by Common Units with the Sword Symbol
    - Rule: A Common Unit with the Sword Symbol can use an "instead of attacking" ability to deal damage to a Unit that, "May not be attacked by Common Units with the Sword Symbol."
    - Example: A Storm Mage can't attack Lukestor, but can use CALL LIGHTNING on Lukestor.
    - Criticism: I dislike that a Storm Mage can CALL LIGHTNING against a Unit it can't attack. It forces a distinction between whether a Unit: is prevented from attacking entirely; or prevented from attacking a specific unit. If the Storm Mage is prevented from attacking entirely, it can't use CALL LIGHTNING; but if it's prevented only from attacking a specific unit, it can use CALL LIGHTNING even on the unit it's prevented from attacking. Kind of nutty to me. If it were otherwise, this would just be another variation of category 1. As it is, however, it creates another category (and an extremely limited one, applying only to Lukestor), and complicates the picture.

Proposed Rule: If a Unit can't do X, it can't do "instead of X" or "before doing X."
    - Example 1: A Renegade that's adjacent to a GD Defender can't attack instead of moving, bc it can't move due to Defender's ENGAGE; and it can't move instead of attacking, due to ENGAGE.
    - Example 2:A Shadow Warrior that's adjacent to a GD Defender can't BLOOD STEP away from the Defender bc BLOOD STEP requires it to move (takes a movement slot) and Defender's ENGAGE prevents the Shadow Warrior from moving.
    - Example 3: A Storm Mage can't use CALL LIGHTNING on Lukestor, bc CALL LIGHTNING is an "instead of attacking," and it can't attack Lukestor.
    - Commentary: One rule, not three. No exceptions.
    Last edited by commandercool; 08-25-2017 at 03:28 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12