Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Death of Summoner Wars? GenCon 2017

Glad to hear you got a group going. I’ve been hosting out of my sets with 5-6 guys and we’re having a good time. So far we’re working through the 2nd summoners and trying to get a handle on those. 40 summoners is a lot to get experience with! Now one other guy has invested and owns copies of all 40 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithamar Conkey View Post
    Glad to hear you got a group going. I’ve been hosting out of my sets with 5-6 guys and we’re having a good time. So far we’re working through the 2nd summoners and trying to get a handle on those. 40 summoners is a lot to get experience with! Now one other guy has invested and owns copies of all 40 too.
    UPDATE!

I talked my local shop owner into ordering a copy of the Phoenix Elves vs. Tundra Orcs for me and a Master Set for me and 2 friends to split. We're each getting one deck from it (I'm getting a backup of my lovely lil' Deep Dwarves so that I can have the extra units; one friend is getting the Vargath, and the other is going for the Shadow Elves), and we're meaning to leave the other 3, the board, the dice, the rulebook, and the tokens on hand for a store copy that folks can play from. The shop owner is interested in learning, as well, and he really dug the concept behind Ret-Tallus and friends, so I get to play against some Fallen Kingdom soon!

Default The Goodbye

Amid the mess of bodies stands a woman, her silhouette with its mid-length hair and rustic staff cracking the cruel yellow sky.

"Stand," she commands, her voice firm, her breathing labored. "We knew this day would come."

The kneeling figure at her feet rises uncertainly, and Serra can see fear in his eyes. Even the best of us, she thinks. How did it get this bad?

"We will fight side by side, Kalon. One last time."

The twice-great grandfather of the man who stands before her could have let this end before it started. Serra almost wonders if that would have been better. Two centuries of pain and desperation, and for what?

But no. There had been something good here. Amid the anger, and the greed, and the unfairness of it all, there had been moments of true greatness. Serra remembers watching the Vargath's commander march fearlessly into an army of Goblins more numerous than she could count, trusting the soldiers to his left and right to protect him. She thinks of a tale of a rank-and-file soldier thrusting his spear into the chest of the Filth's Demagogue in a singular moment of heroism. She recalls the sight of a stone-faced Ranger felling her own comerade when all hope was lost to put one final arrow in the third eye of a Bender general.

Her faith renewed, Serra begins to move toward her crumbling wall, the only thing seperating her from the encroaching adversary.

"Stand behind me and you'll be alright," Kalon says, his words contradicted by the tremble of his voice. "We've been through worse than this."

But they haven't. Without warning, a single figure steps out, having apparently hidden in the shadow of the wall. For a moment Serra's heart leaps at the sight of a woman who has not come to kill her, but, just as soon as she starts to smile, Serra sees the look on the Shadow Elf's face.

"Malidala. Did Selundar hold off Ret-Talus's fie-," Serra's voice breaks off as she registers Malidala's shaking head.

"We thought we had a chance. That madman was on the verge of death, but by the time we were ready to strike we had already lost. Can you feel them draining our Magic now?"

"Yes. Malidala, this is where our story ends. After we lose the battle here, Heap will fall, and then the rest of Westernest. Perhaps Krusk's forces will hold onto some territory in Tralia?"

"Krusk is dead. Nikuya Na had contact with Marek when the last Sand Goblin colony fell. Have you heard anything from South Meeric?"

"Malenatar's people say the swamps are still burning, and Natazga has no hope of putting out the fires at this point. If she's even alive."

"Then we're the last ones?" Malidala looks Kalon in the eye, then Serra.

"It's just us."

"Just us," Kalon repeats, his voice calmer now. "If we knew seven years ago what we know now, do you think we could have stopped this?"

The question hangs in the air, directed at no one. The silence of these three people reverberates around them, and into the world beyond. The fiendish things advancing toward them howl, the ground shakes, the wall collapses to the ground. But, somehow louder than all that, the quiet righteousness of these heroes rings out. As Kalon and Malidala turn to face the oncoming Fallen Kingdom, their expressions speak no longer of fear, but of courage.

Taking her eyes off the inevitable force that will soon take her life, Serra risks a glance behind her. More of the things flanking past their formation and advancing West. To the North and South, a tide of bodies, newly deceased or dead for hundreds of years moving slowly but inevitably, as they have been since the beginning.

If only the Tundra Orcs and Phoenix Elves could have set aside their differences...

If only Vlox had turned his people against the true enemy...

If only the Deep Dwarves had protected the Father Stone....

But Serra knows that none of that mattered. This is the only way the Summoner Wars could have ended.

As the menace before her cuts down her oldest and newest friends, Serra stutters out one final word.

"Goodbye."

Serra is killed, and the world is plunged into a permanent Dark Age. A world that had held some of the greatest heroics, most amazing battles, most villainous plots to ever exist. It will never be remembered but by a select few, those who were able to see it before its time came. Treasure what little you've seen of this amazing world, and always remember...

Long live Itharia.
    Last edited by Thing 2; 06-22-2018 at 03:10 PM.

Plagiarized from Pumpkin King's "The Goodbye," which can be found here.

Spoken well for yourself, PK. My Itharia is still going strong.

I've picked the game back up recently and it is at least as fun as I remember it being. I wish I had more than just the one person to play against in person, but we have been playing a lot of games recently and slowly working through all the content for this game that dropped between when our friend group was playing it heavily around 2014 and now. And I must say, this new stuff has all seemed great so far!

Itharia lives on, if only in little bits and pieces. Reading that fun bit of lore above has me wondering though: why do most of the alliances and second summoner units not have bios posted on the plaidhatgames site? That seems like a small thing they could do to at least shoe there is still SOME interest until the game inter ally, and "finish" what has been started with all of those other bios. The lore for thisbgame was always neat and I was sas to see it basically unfinished when I came back to it. Even a lot of the unit images seem broken.

Honestly, I think the simplest way to put SW's problems are look (bad name and art), feel (extremely defensive) and complexity (advanced strategies + 40 summoners).

Summoner wars was extremly popular at master set release, so i don't think bad name and art are a big problem. As I said the big problem was lack of support of the hardcore players.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    Summoner wars was extremly popular at master set release, so i don't think bad name and art are a big problem. As I said the big problem was lack of support of the hardcore players.
    It's in a tricky position.

Not enough constant new card excitement / power creep / money hemorrhage for the LCG people, but too many "expansions" for most anti-LCG people (like me).

Experience is rewarded heavily, and yet it's not nearly balanced enough for pure "Spike"s to build their kind of competition out of.

Its spot in the board game milieu is really that of a strategy game where the far better player can handicap themself with a far worse faction/build, still try their hardest to win, and have an exciting game with a relative novice. I absolutely love having a game fill that spot. And the fact that there are a few good-natured experts who can have fun, and not get too upset about how imbalanced summoners are, is icing on the cake.

But there aren't a whole lot of people who love this middle ground in a game.

I agree not comitting to a board game or LCG was a big mistake, it was popular as a master set because it looked like a board game, normal one, and then it started to show it's true (terrible) LCG colors, and all went to the drain. Sadly they are at some level doing the same with crystal clans. Aim for Collectionist people or for "standard board game" people, but that middle ground that satisfies neither is terrible.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast