Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Death of Summoner Wars? GenCon 2017

Default The Death of Summoner Wars? GenCon 2017

The Death of Summoner Wars? – GenCon 2017

I’m sitting on the curb, flask in hand, telling old war stories of years past.

“They called me Vlox Masta. Let me tell you—I beat down the competition like nobody’s business. I owned GenCon. I used to be somebody…”

This year the only Summoner Wars event was the Pick Your Poison event. Support for Summoner Wars was at a minimum this year. We’re probably lucky there was any event at all.

I created a disgusting Krusk deck for the event. I called the deck “The Death of Summoner Wars.” With a little feedback from Waterd I came up with this build:

Krusk
    Dinky, Etch, Biter
    7xShaman, 3xRune Mage, 3xSlayer

A lot of NPE and broken rolled up into one little deck. I wasn’t going to use it, but then I thought, “Eh—what the hell.” I brought it to Pick Your Poison.

My other deck was Immortal Elien. I have fun with him plus I think Burning Skeletons are a tad undervalued.

Immortal Elien
    Laleya, Fire Drake, Elut-Bal
    8xHarbinger, 3xWarlock, 4xAugur

The event was delayed for an hour while a Tournament Supervisor was found. Clarissimus lamented the lack of punctuality. “I thought you were supposed to host that Summoner Wars tournament? No, I thought you did. Is anyone going to host it?”

Anyway, the tournament got underway, in the shadow of an Ashes tournament which was well supervised. Packs of card sleeves were at every Summoner Wars board, and I thought for a moment that we were required to sleeve our decks, which would have taken me a lifetime to do. I like to see the card backs because I know when I’m about to draw a Champion in Immortal Elien, or an Augur. But my fears were unfounded: The card sleeves were just a bonus for participation.

Round 1: vs. Mophovans (sp?)

This dude brought Malaentar and Scraven, two decks who I haven’t played much of. I haven’t really gotten to break the spine of the new second summoner decks, so all I know about these decks is the grumblings I’ve heard on the forums. Somebody once said Malaentar was bad at one point, so I picked him to supposedly have the upper hand.

Malaentar came at me like a freight train, its commons working together like a well oiled machines. Extra movements all going to good use, with the dude with Lesser Cover making the Aspirants that would have been easy Harbinger targets into defensive walls.

I passed a lot, drawing mostly Augurs at the beginning. I use Augurs for Elut-Bal and Burnt Sacrifice mostly, but those cards were buried and I ended up just cluttering the battlefield while the machine that is Malaentar’s starting setup made short work of my starting wall.

Immortal Elien moved out to meet the coming storm, and took 3 wounds from attacking commons. I managed to play Laleya and played double From the Ashes to make the swarm around Immortal Elien into Warlocks. I recovered from what was a lackluster start, but I was way behind in card advantage, having hardly killed anything.

A Storm Mage dealt the last wound to Elien, sealing my fate. You’re only as good as your last game, and for all my victories in the past I was now nothing but “that guy who dressed as Vlox a couple years ago.” I’m all washed up. Why did I even write this battle report? Mophovans (sp?) should be writing this—he’s the one that ended up winning the tournament, I think.

0-1

Round 2: vs. Some Older Dude

I had to choose between Abua and Taculla, and I chose Abua. He chose my Krusk. Oh boy—Rune Mage time.

He placed a forward wall, and when the Mirage into Rune Mage play came he didn’t seem disgusted, more so trying to keep up with what my cards did. It didn’t feel good locking this guy up in Rune Mages, but he was being aggressive with Abua anyway, and I ended up assassinating him with a Shaman before the Rune Mage had siphoned its third magic.

He dropped out of the tournament. C’est la vie.

1-1

The third round my opponent didn’t show up, so I got a bye. What a story, Mark.

2-1

Final round, me vs. Clarissimus. He brought Samurai Jack Ret-Talus and Lego Prince Elien. I went with Ret-Talus. He picked Immortal Elien.

Fire Drake came out alongside Elut-Bal, and they advanced deep into his territory. Fire Drake was spitting fire at Ret-Talus, whittling him away, and a From the Ashes into Warlock surprised him and dealt some assassinating strikes on the king of the undead.

I had 5 magic set aside for Laleya, but instead I decided to summon a Harbinger and advance it to a freshly summoned unit next to Ret-Talus. I rolled a 4,2—pay one to bump it up—Harbinger rolls a 3, pay 1 to summon a Burning Skeleton that dealt the last wound to Ret-Talus.

3-1

After the tournament I played a game against Anoir’s Glurblub with my Warden deck. He pushed Glurblub way into my territory, so I summoned Hester and Subjugated 3 commons to boost her attack up to 4. I went 2 for 2 with Hester the previous turn, and 4 for 4 the next turn, meaning curtains for our Glurblub.

4-1 (What are you doing?! This isn't even a tournament match!)

So was this the death of Summoner Wars? I don’t think so. Now I’ve got renewed interest in the game, and a thirst to figure out the new summoners that I haven’t played with much. I saw someone using Saturos commons in Selundar, and it all makes me want to play the game and figure out what uncharted territories there are. Like Anoir’s Invaders in Glurblub—there are so many corners of the game to search out and learn that I think the game still has a lot of life left in it. Maybe it won’t have a tournament at GenCon next year, but for what it’s worth I think this game still has a lot of life in it.

This is that washed up old has-been named “Vlox guy,” signing off after another great year at GenCon.
    Last edited by esper88; 08-20-2017 at 10:17 PM.
    Did you know? Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Nice write-up. Ironically, many of us app players feared that Summoner Wars had truly died as the app servers had been down for days (unfortunately coinciding with the first round of Robert's latest tournament). In hindsight, the fact that the outage lined up almost exactly with GenCon probably means that the Playdek people were all there and couldn't fix it? Who really knows as their communication to us continues to be somewhere between shameful and abysmal.

Coincidentally, I traveled to a wedding this weekend, and a good friend who introduced me to the game met me at my hotel for a few late-night matches. We picked base-decks at random and had a blast. Much like the underlying sentiments of your post, while frustration that support/investment/interest in Summoner Wars continues to wane makes me want to give up playing, the undeniable brilliance of the game itself keeps me coming back.

So yeah, the servers are back now and the tournament will undoubtedly soldier on...much like many of us who appreciate a game that seems destined to be unnoticed by most. And maybe that's just fine.

I'm surprised you did pick the best summoner in the game, with all the NPE you could...and then a mid level summoner, with a very questionable build. I know you were there for the fun, but still. If you have the balls to bring dinky, Rallul or Tundle should be alongside, they are good friends. I'm pretty sure that Rallul vs malenatar is like 7.5-2.5 In favor of rallul.
    If you just wanted to be mean, you should have gone Tacullu, He is NPE by himself, also better use of etch, showing stone golems, haku or whoever is called that op stuff.
    I mean you wanted to be mean, what better than tacullu with mercenaries, Magic drain and Mimic? peolpe will want to be your friends, masochists i mean.

Imagine this deck
    Etch, Haku, Sorgwen
    5x Stone golems, 2x Deciever, 5x Controller, 2x Siren.

It gives me the chills.
    I think it was a lost oppournity...im sad.
    Last edited by Waterd; 08-20-2017 at 11:21 PM.

a game that seems destined to be unnoticed by most
    I don't think this game gets unnoticed at all, most people i know that play board games knows about it, it was top 100 in the bgg, Dice tower gave it a lot of publicity. It's just unappreciated...and for good reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    I'm surprised you did pick the best summoner in the game, with all the NPE you could...and then a mid level summoner, with a very questionable build. I know you were there for the fun, but still. If you have the balls to bring dinky, Rallul or Tundle should be alongside, they are good friends. I'm pretty sure that Rallul vs malenatar is like 7.5-2.5 In favor of rallul.
    If you just wanted to be mean, you should have gone Tacullu, He is NPE by himself, also better use of etch, showing stone golems, haku or whoever is called that op stuff.
    I mean you wanted to be mean, what better than tacullu with mercenaries, Magic drain and Mimic? peolpe will want to be your friends, masochists i mean.

Imagine this deck
    Etch, Haku, Sorgwen
    5x Stone golems, 2x Deciever, 5x Controller, 2x Siren.

It gives me the chills.
    I think it was a lost oppournity...im sad.
    Yeah, you're probably right. I didn't put much thought into why I was bringing Immortal Elien. I should have gone full d-bag if I was going to stick my toes in that water.
    Did you know? Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Thanks for going and supporting on behalf of all of us. I wish I could've been there!

Hey Esper. I really enjoyed playing against you in that unsanctioned match. I really haven't played much of alliances or the second summoners but I agree they have a lot of depth to them.

I was really disappointed to see how unappreciated the summoner wars players seemed to be. When we asked about the tournament it seemed like the plaid hat guys didn't even know the game existed.

Glad I got to play some summoner wars though.
    Last edited by Anoir; 08-26-2017 at 05:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
    Anoir just stomped me.
    Praise the Third Eye

Quote Originally Posted by esper88 View Post
    I created a disgusting Krusk deck for the event. I called the deck “The Death of Summoner Wars.” With a little feedback from Waterd I came up with this build:

Krusk
    Dinky, Etch, Biter
    7xShaman, 3xRune Mage, 3xSlayer

A lot of NPE and broken rolled up into one little deck. I wasn’t going to use it, but then I thought, “Eh—what the hell.”
    Yeah, when I saw one of your decks was Krusk, I said to myself, "Nope, don't want to play against Dinky." IE was still pretty good though.

Fun fact, I brought PE and FK and ended up going 2-0 as Prince Elien and 0-2 as Ret-Talus. Some things never change.

Nice write-up. I was bummed not to play in this event but I was too busy playing CVN after winning the Heroscape championship and then going straight to top 16 for the Ashes championship.

FWIW I had my Mugglug and Immortal Elien decks ready. My IE deck was way more evil than yours.

I kind of wish they would adopt the "competitive play" rules for the event. I know it's just one event, but if we're not using it at Gencon, what did we make them for?

Summoner Wars is one amazing little game. I long since picked up the Guild Dwarves vs. Cave Goblins pack to start my odyssey, and the Master Set came shortly thereafter, and then various Faction Decks. The game took a hiatus around here because of a shift in shop owners and a lack in supporting the game under the new shop, but when a new shop opened in my hometown, I thought, "Maybe I can bring it back there some day."

Well, I introduced our HeroClix players (of which I am one) to the game a few months back. They liked it, enough for one guy to have me order him up a couple of First Summoner Vanguard decks (the shop won't risk taking a chance on picking up an older game like this until they see it really have an interest). Again, though, interest waned until the last few weeks, when, while cleaning up my closet, I found my Master Set box and thought, "I can bring this back, I think."

So far, barring the one guy who bought the Vanguard packs, people are playing out of my stuff. It's easiest that way, I guess, and cheapest. I have a guy who LOVES running the Mountain Vargath, the Vanguard player I mentioned, and a buddy who's got a thing for running my Jungle Elves and Shadow Elves. He'd probably play the Phoenix Elves if I ordered them up; Elves are his thing, it seems, although he also seems interested in running Cloaks. Me? I'm a Dwarf man from way back, ever since I first saw the Bankin-Rass cartoon of The Hobbit as a child and read the book in elementary school. Oldin's Deep Dwarves are my JAM (and the one deck I've successfully hunted down official sleeves for!), and I also like running Tundle's Deep Dwarves. Tower defense isn't really my shtick, so I don't go for Bolvi's Guild Dwarves much, but otherwise I have enjoyed running the First Mercenary deck with its Golems and wall manipulation. Basically, I'll give anything a shot BUT the Benders. That level of control really doesn't need to exist in this game.

Here's hoping we can keep it rolling where I live. I think as long as I'm willing to bring the box folks will give it a go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast