Thread: Summoner Wars at GenCon -- the last hurrah?

Default Summoner Wars at GenCon -- the last hurrah?

This year, we have only one SW event at GenCon. It's not a big shock, really, considering how poor the attendance has been in recent years. PYP is not my favorite format but it's the only game in town; I'm mostly doing it for old times' sake and because there might not be any ever again. This game just doesn't have the big fan base or tournament scene that Heroscape had to keep it rolling years after official releases have stopped.

Anybody else going to this one, or is it gonna be just me and some dad with his 2-3 kids?

Quote Originally Posted by Clarissimus View Post
    This year, we have only one SW event at GenCon. It's not a big shock, really, considering how poor the attendance has been in recent years. PYP is not my favorite format but it's the only game in town; I'm mostly doing it for old times' sake and because there might not be any ever again. This game just doesn't have the big fan base or tournament scene that Heroscape had to keep it rolling years after official releases have stopped.

Anybody else going to this one, or is it gonna be just me and some dad with his 2-3 kids?
    I can't attend this year, but would have loved to join. I did every SW event the past few years and had a blast. I think you beat me a couple of times.

I won the big final tournament last year where we chose an alliance and played all of its summoners. I had a finals match vs BigGameHunter(?), my Prince Elien vs. his Shiva. I went on offense with Prince Elien with lots of wall crowding and won an epic, tense match. Good times!

I'll happily help organize future SW tourneys at GenCon.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

I'm not going to be at GenCon this year either - I wish I was going.

Take it down CMus
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Can you drop a link to the event please? I can't find it in the GenCon directory.

Quote Originally Posted by jbjoyce View Post
    Can you drop a link to the event please? I can't find it in the GenCon directory.
    https://www.gencon.com/events/112052

Worth noting that they have sold 19 of the 24 tickets, so it looks like it won't be very sparse after all.

Chillin' in my hotel room now, testing some decks out.

I made a deck I call "The Death of Summoner Wars":
    Krusk
    Dinky, Etch, Biter
    4xRune Mage, 9xShaman

I think I just talked myself out of playing it, though. Going to bring something a little more fun to celebrate Summoner Wars' probable last GenCon run. It is Pick Your Poison so I could try to talk my opponents into picking my other deck. Who knows. Long live Summoner Wars!
    Did you know? Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Quote Originally Posted by esper88 View Post

Krusk
    Dinky, Etch, Biter
    4xRune Mage, 9xShaman

I think I just talked myself out of playing it, though. Going to bring something a little more fun to celebrate Summoner Wars' probable last GenCon run. It is Pick Your Poison so I could try to talk my opponents into picking my other deck. Who knows. Long live Summoner Wars!
    That's a mean funny deck. But I doubt it toy be optimal. If I had to play a world championship with Krusk. I think I would play.
    Dinky, Biter, Etch.
    2x rune Mage 2x tinker 2x slayer, 7x shaman

Quote Originally Posted by esper88 View Post

Krusk
    Dinky, Etch, Biter
    4xRune Mage, 9xShaman

Be sure to let us know how it all goes! Wish we could all be there to enjoy the game!