Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Summoner Wars at GenCon -- the last hurrah?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    925

    Default Summoner Wars at GenCon -- the last hurrah?

    This year, we have only one SW event at GenCon. It's not a big shock, really, considering how poor the attendance has been in recent years. PYP is not my favorite format but it's the only game in town; I'm mostly doing it for old times' sake and because there might not be any ever again. This game just doesn't have the big fan base or tournament scene that Heroscape had to keep it rolling years after official releases have stopped.

    Anybody else going to this one, or is it gonna be just me and some dad with his 2-3 kids?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clarissimus View Post
    This year, we have only one SW event at GenCon. It's not a big shock, really, considering how poor the attendance has been in recent years. PYP is not my favorite format but it's the only game in town; I'm mostly doing it for old times' sake and because there might not be any ever again. This game just doesn't have the big fan base or tournament scene that Heroscape had to keep it rolling years after official releases have stopped.

    Anybody else going to this one, or is it gonna be just me and some dad with his 2-3 kids?
    I can't attend this year, but would have loved to join. I did every SW event the past few years and had a blast. I think you beat me a couple of times.

    I won the big final tournament last year where we chose an alliance and played all of its summoners. I had a finals match vs BigGameHunter(?), my Prince Elien vs. his Shiva. I went on offense with Prince Elien with lots of wall crowding and won an epic, tense match. Good times!

    I'll happily help organize future SW tourneys at GenCon.

  3. #3
    killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,309

    Default

    I'm not going to be at GenCon this year either - I wish I was going.

    Take it down CMus
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

    I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Can you drop a link to the event please? I can't find it in the GenCon directory.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jbjoyce View Post
    Can you drop a link to the event please? I can't find it in the GenCon directory.
    https://www.gencon.com/events/112052

    Worth noting that they have sold 19 of the 24 tickets, so it looks like it won't be very sparse after all.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,530

    Default

    Chillin' in my hotel room now, testing some decks out.

    I made a deck I call "The Death of Summoner Wars":
    Krusk
    Dinky, Etch, Biter
    4xRune Mage, 9xShaman

    I think I just talked myself out of playing it, though. Going to bring something a little more fun to celebrate Summoner Wars' probable last GenCon run. It is Pick Your Poison so I could try to talk my opponents into picking my other deck. Who knows. Long live Summoner Wars!
    Did you know? Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by esper88 View Post
    Chillin' in my hotel room now, testing some decks out.

    I made a deck I call "The Death of Summoner Wars":
    Krusk
    Dinky, Etch, Biter
    4xRune Mage, 9xShaman

    I think I just talked myself out of playing it, though. Going to bring something a little more fun to celebrate Summoner Wars' probable last GenCon run. It is Pick Your Poison so I could try to talk my opponents into picking my other deck. Who knows. Long live Summoner Wars!
    That's a mean funny deck. But I doubt it toy be optimal. If I had to play a world championship with Krusk. I think I would play.
    Dinky, Biter, Etch.
    2x rune Mage 2x tinker 2x slayer, 7x shaman

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by esper88 View Post
    Chillin' in my hotel room now, testing some decks out.

    I made a deck I call "The Death of Summoner Wars":
    Krusk
    Dinky, Etch, Biter
    4xRune Mage, 9xShaman

    I think I just talked myself out of playing it, though. Going to bring something a little more fun to celebrate Summoner Wars' probable last GenCon run. It is Pick Your Poison so I could try to talk my opponents into picking my other deck. Who knows. Long live Summoner Wars!
    Be sure to let us know how it all goes! Wish we could all be there to enjoy the game!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •