Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Crystal clan the expected summoner wars v2?

Guess I'm not quite sure what to say... I own but haven't played Nexus Ops, and I have played Blood Rage (a game I quite enjoy) and Kemet (a game I don't enjoy that much). Blood Rage and Kemet are extremely different, but this isn't the thread for that. I don't think CC feels like either... although I also don't think SW feels like Chess. SW feels like HeroScape, because that's what it's based off of. SW is kinda like a marriage of Scape+Magic.
    Orc.....Elf.....Army.....One
    OrcElfArmyOne on Heroscapers, iOS, and Vassal as well.

It's great to hear it reminds you of Summoner Wars but I'm surprised to be honest.

The question can be:

"Is there a game more similar to SW than CC?"

Quote Originally Posted by Batou31 View Post
    The question can be:

"Is there a game more similar to SW than CC?"
    Other than HeroScape? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by orcelfarmyone View Post
    Other than HeroScape? Probably not.
    https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/17396/manoeuvre

It's so simiar that i would be very suprrised to hear this didn't influence summoner wars design process or that Colby didn't play this game and used it as an influence for SW.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/17396/manoeuvre

It's so simiar that i would be very suprrised to hear this didn't influence summoner wars design process or that Colby didn't play this game and used it as an influence for SW.
    Very interesting; haven't played it.

Correction to my original statement: of all the games I've played (which are mostly games in the top 200 at this point on BGG), and other than HeroScape which Summoner Wars is based off of, Crystal Clans is the most similar. And again, this is after also having played Ashes, which I did not like at all.

I finally have played CC. Similarities with SW there are only on papper.
    Complexity and faultpunishment is on Ashes level.
    Fight and initiative mechanics are really unique and it's make this game special.
    I like it, and I need time spended on game to say am I love it.
    Ow... Ow... Owlord!

Finally i finished playing each clan twice. So My little review of CC directed at SW population.

First. I understand why the comparision with SW exist. both from the same company, both have "clans/FactionS" in a fantasy world and more important both have units moving in a board represented by cards.
    Also the draw cards mechanics is extremly similar.
    However mechanically is even a similar game? Not at all.
    For someone looking the Summoner wars experience, it's gonna be frustrating. It's not a space control game. It's a resouce managment game with combat. There is no range, and every movement/attack cost resources, everything is resources. There is no "flanking" "holding formation" "poking" "rage advantage". There is no outmanuver the opponent, there is being more efficient at using resources. The board in CC is really secondary and is almost a "fake" board, in the vein of something like Kemet.
    I'm saying this in everyway i can, there is no "chess" feeling or Tatical grid movement in CC.
    In summoner wars half the battle was resource management, sure, but here in CC is like 85%, the other 15% is a separate almost unconnected game of rock paper scissors. You can have a very similar experience by just removing the board, the board is ultimately an unnecessary "artifact".

The second thing missing big time from SW is the surprise effect. If you ask me the mayor problem I have with CC. There are no events in CC, only units, so the board never gets shapped in strong ways or you feel a strongway to shape the battlefield to favor your future events. it doesn't have the "explosive" or "tricky" feeling of SW of building an explosive turn.
    CC has explosive turns, and has units that try to produce the similar effects than events, but it never achieves the SW feel.

What im trying to say here is not that CC is a bad game. I think its a good game, and interesting game. But it in no way, shape or form will manage to scratch a SW itch. It's a very different experience.
    In many ways is vastly superior to SW. The game feels more tight and polished. Unlike SW where i can point flaw after flaw, I really can't do that with CC. The gameplay is very solid. (Not making any balance claim, nor is my intention to discuss balance for now).

With that said I don't like the initiative mechanic. It's original? Yes. It's interesting? Yes. It's good? Mmmm. I don't find the kind of thinking and tactics that it forces me to do to be satisfying. I don't hate it, but I'm not excited about it or looking for the next game to implement it.

The combat system also it's just "ok" also not excited about it

My conclusion is that CC is a solid design, a solid game, that can even be recommended. Everything feels quite solid. it's feels mostly about the resource managment of an army in military confilict. How much resources to spend in logistics, how much in recruiting ,etc. And what it does, it does well.
    However personally it doesn't excite me, it's not what im looking for. I feel just play another euro game, a little more combative. Imo is not what the market needed. It's new, it's interesting, it's solid. but it's not amazing and as the usual bringer of bad news, I don't expect crystal clans to have a bright future. I think most people that play it will go "wow this is interesting", and play a little more and more, exploring the different factions being carried by the carrot of the "new" and once they finally get that carrot they will look back and think "that was good, that was interesting" and move on.
    It's the game that many designers will even praise and think it's something worth playing, and after that move on.

Crystal clans is like a good attraction of a new country you visit, is a place to worth to get into and visit, but not worth staying in.
    Last edited by Waterd; 05-14-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    Finally i finished playing each clan twice. So My little review of CC directed at SW population.

First. I understand why the comparision with SW exist. both from the same company, both have "clans/FactionS" in a fantasy world and more important both have units moving in a board represented by cards.
    Also the draw cards mechanics is extremly similar.
    However mechanically is even a similar game? Not at all.
    For someone looking the Summoner wars experience, it's gonna be frustrating. It's not a space control game. It's a resouce managment game with combat. There is no range, and every movement/attack cost resources, everything is resources. There is no "flanking" "holding formation" "poking" "rage advantage". There is no outmanuver the opponent, there is being more efficient at using resources. The board in CC is really secondary and is almost a "fake" board, in the vein of something like Kemet.
    I'm saying this in everyway i can, there is no "chess" feeling or Tatical grid movement in CC.
    In summoner wars half the battle was resource management, sure, but here in CC is like 85%, the other 15% is a separate almost unconnected game of rock paper scissors. You can have a very similar experience by just removing the board, the board is ultimately an unnecessary "artifact".

The second thing missing big time from SW is the surprise effect. If you ask me the mayor problem I have with CC. There are no events in CC, only units, so the board never gets shapped in strong ways or you feel a strongway to shape the battlefield to favor your future events. it doesn't have the "explosive" or "tricky" feeling of SW of building an explosive turn.
    CC has explosive turns, and has units that try to produce the similar effects than events, but it never achieves the SW feel.

What im trying to say here is not that CC is a bad game. I think its a good game, and interesting game. But it in no way, shape or form will manage to scratch a SW itch. It's a very different experience.
    In many ways is vastly superior to SW. The game feels more tight and polished. Unlike SW where i can point flaw after flaw, I really can't do that with CC. The gameplay is very solid. (Not making any balance claim, nor is my intention to discuss balance for now).

With that said I don't like the initiative mechanic. It's original? Yes. It's interesting? Yes. It's good? Mmmm. I don't find the kind of thinking and tactics that it forces me to do to be satisfying. I don't hate it, but I'm not excited about it or looking for the next game to implement it.

The combat system also it's just "ok" also not excited about it

My conclusion is that CC is a solid design, a solid game, that can even be recommended. Everything feels quite solid. it's feels mostly about the resource managment of an army in military confilict. How much resources to spend in logistics, how much in recruiting ,etc. And what it does, it does well.
    However personally it doesn't excite me, it's not what im looking for. I feel just play another euro game, a little more combative. Imo is not what the market needed. It's new, it's interesting, it's solid. but it's not amazing and as the usual bringer of bad news, I don't expect crystal clans to have a bright future. I think most people that play it will go "wow this is interesting", and play a little more and more, exploring the different factions being carried by the carrot of the "new" and once they finally get that carrot they will look back and think "that was good, that was interesting" and move on.
    It's the game that many designers will even praise and think it's something worth playing, and after that move on.

Crystal clans is like a good attraction of a new country you visit, is a place to worth to get into and visit, but not worth staying in.
    Thanks for this review! This is very helpful, as I was curious about this game from a SW player perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by KBurg7 View Post
    Thanks for this review! This is very helpful, as I was curious about this game from a SW player perspective.
    I agree, excellent review, Waterd. Good analysis.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast