Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Crystal clan the expected summoner wars v2?

Quote Originally Posted by orcelfarmyone View Post
    Gotta say, I'm very disappointed with Sinlore. A Champ of that swinginess and power that they're balancing mechanic is an auto-loss depending on card draw? I do not like that at all.
    I think you may be looking at it the wrong way. A loss of a squad is not the same to the skull clan as it is to any other clan since they can raise their units from the dead.

Also, there's an element of psychological warfare. I think the fear of Sinlore may at times be much more powerful than Sinlore himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydragon222 View Post
    I think you may be looking at it the wrong way. A loss of a squad is not the same to the skull clan as it is to any other clan since they can raise their units from the dead.

Also, there's an element of psychological warfare. I think the fear of Sinlore may at times be much more powerful than Sinlore himself.
    Well, it may not turn out to be so bad, but the article said that play testers lost games because of it...
    Orc.....Elf.....Army.....One
    OrcElfArmyOne on Heroscapers, iOS, and Vassal as well.

Just played my first game of Crystal Clans, and while it may be too soon to tell, it feels like Summoner Wars 2.0. It's awesome. Pure awesome. It is so much more streamlined and elegant than SW, fixes loads of problems, and has a great look to it.

Whoa! How'd you play it?

Quote Originally Posted by commandercool View Post
    Whoa! How'd you play it?
    I'm down in Orlando at Dice Tower Con; they have a demo of it in a side room. Played with my dad, I had the Reanimates and he had the Meteor Clan, I beat him pretty soundly 4-1. Of course I had read the rulebook before .

Quote Originally Posted by orcelfarmyone View Post
    Just played my first game of Crystal Clans, and while it may be too soon to tell, it feels like Summoner Wars 2.0. It's awesome. Pure awesome. It is so much more streamlined and elegant than SW, fixes loads of problems, and has a great look to it.
    It's great to hear it reminds you of Summoner Wars but I'm surprised to be honest. From what I've read it sounds much more abstract. More like ability management than positioning and lining up attack opportunities.
    Last edited by Nburghardt; 07-08-2017 at 12:13 AM.

Idk, i haven't played it, but it immediately reminded me of SW.

Of course, it depends kind of on your personal philosophy/view about how closely Thing 1 has to be similar to Thing 2 for you to see the two as similar. In other words, some people view the world more abstractly: they'll see more similarities; on the flip side of the coin, others will see the world more specifically and see less similarities.

To me, despite Plaid Hats clear attempts to distinguish Crystal Clans from SW, it's clear there are some similarities. I personally think it's a little ridiculous to frame the analytical framework as EITHER unlike SW OR like it. It's clear it can be both. While it's clear that there are some differences, it's also clear there are some similarities. Examples of differences include a different type of battlefield, different kind of conflict resolution (squads, initiative track, no dice), global abilities that can be earned in course of match (crystals). I'm sure I'm missing some but I haven't played the game, so these are differences I see just on the face of the situation.

Even though there are differences, it's clear there are similarities. Some are aesthetic/packaging, but some are mechanics. For example, there's still essentially each pile that was in SW (draw, hand, magic, Discard); you still play card units with life and attack and abilities on a grid; you have essentially a summoner (right?), champions, and commons; you essentially still have summon costs; you essentially still have factions; and you still have a SW like draw pile/hand/magic management.

This is just what I've rustled up in a few minutes on my lunch break, but there are similarities and differences to SW. Despite Plaid Hats insistence the game is different than SW, it's clear that it is both different and similar. Also, there's no way Crystal Clans would be what it is if SW never happened--it's obvious they took the best parts of SW and kept them, and chucked SWs worst parts.

CC is clearly not SW 2.0.
    Sw main feature that distinguish them from many other card games in the market, it has the chess like feeling of pieces moving during the board. From what i understand CC movement is not dynamic at all and there is no range. SW is really a miniature tactical game.
    The more important difference is on the mental approach one has to have. CC seems more like a 1v1 Risk with heavy resources and cards, where players move troops slowly through different zones to control them. Where SW is more like where the game is mostly about the movement of pieces and how to outmanuver your opponent.

CC seems a game about allocating resources, SW is about spatial outmanuvering of the opponents.

The theme and resources in the game seems very similar, but at it's most important aspect, what the game is about, to me they are quite different. CC feels more like "ashes" with a board, where SW feels more like CHESS, with cards.
    Personally I'm not interested in CC because Im not looking for resource managment game (The same reason I wasn't intersted in ashes), im looking for Chess-like game, with more than just the board.

On the support of summoner wars, I agree the support of summoner wars was fine...at non competitive level. Summoner wars support to the competitive community was just awful. It's a miracle there were as many tournaments and leagues and whatnot, given how lackluster the support was (I think it did because the material was really there). The league in Poland show that there was a game to support, just PHG wasn't interested.
    But if you think about non competitive support...i mean, i guess it was ok? I don't know what that even means. People keep talking about balance but again, that was never the concern or the problem, the problem was not adressing the problems the game had at competitive level, not creating a good synch with the app, the app having no ladder, ranking, tournaments, ELO, NOTHING.

Ashes is way more supported than SW ever was , and I don't think they are even doing a GREAT job there either, just OK. Ashes for example needs some way for people to play electronically and that doesn't seem be even on the plans. But still if SW was supported as much as Ashes, I think the SW story would have been very different.

Btw, I'm sure PHG is going to support CC (or at least a lot more than SW), so if that is your concern, that is not a reason to diss CC imo. I don't know if CC is worth to support tough, it seems original enough, but it's good enough? I have no the singlest clue. Maybe it's the next masterpiece to define a genere, maybe like City of remnants, people will just forget about it a few months after release. (sad i liked city of remnants)
    I think ashes wasn't worth to support, mostly because it was competing in a market against monsters like MTG and netrunner. (I don't know how well it's doing , it may be crushing for all i know)

I strongly disagree with the perception some people seem to have that "releasing more content" is supporting a game.
    Supporting the game to me, is four things 1) Is acknowledging and dealing the problems people have with the game, UPDATING the game to deal with those problems 2) creating the enviroment for people to compete at your game, having a good online app, with ladder/tournamnets and whatnot, creating good sets of rules for people to create their own tournaments in their stores or even home 3) Promoting the game through promos for tournaments, posters, in your page, as a COMPETITIVE GAME. 4) Keep your Fans informed about the current state of the game, plans for the future, both for the game and competitive scene. In a way that they are not in a fog of mistery.

I think PHG only did 3 with SW at a "reasonable" level, but did bad at 2 and 4, and failed horrible at 1.
    Ashes, seems to be doing a lot better with 1, 3 and 4, but only ok at 2. (not sure about this one)
    But creating MORE CONTENT is not really a "support your game", imo, or at least not in anyway that is helpful to a competitive community, if anything it can damage it if not properly done.
    Last edited by Waterd; 07-29-2017 at 11:57 AM.

After having played Ashes quite extensively and having played CC, I can tell you now that CC is NOTHING like Ashes. CC is MUCH closer to SW.

You might dig it Waterd, I would try it out. I enjoyed it. Moving is a LOT faster in CC than you are giving it credit for. Because of it, you really don't need range.

Ashes is a very slow feeling game, whereas CC feels fast.

As for resource management, all CC does is get rid of the turn structure from SW and break everything down into smaller actions. It is much closer, however, to SW in this regard than Ashes' you take 1 action, I take 1 action.

Prolly i will try it when i get the chance, but if it doesnt have range, i cant see how it can be even be possible to be close to the experience im looking for. It feels more like Nexus ops/Kemet/Blood rage, 1v1 than chess, if it doesnt have range.
    Last edited by Waterd; 07-29-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast