Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Malenatar help

After all this time I guess people have more experience with Malenatar. What is your opinion? Is he strong or weak?

I recently played several games as Malenatar but The tendency was to lose by running out of resources and deck our faster than the opponent. I am sure I am not playing him optimally but still I find hard to believe that he is very strong.

Any comments?

IMO it sounds like you're playing Malenatar right. It also sounds like you're not using RMs or the Seer, which I support.

He's got the best early rushing capability of any summoner - so I say take advantage of it. Games where I play Malenatar seem to have 2 stages - a very early rush followed by a rapid mana build and the deployment of champs whose primary goal is to assassinate.

When assassination works, you are usually getting lucky with dice and finishing the game in turns 5-8. When it doesn't work, your economy is completely broken by turn 10. Looks good when it works, looks bad when it don't.

Malenatar really has only 2 events - onslaught and unify. One makes your champs blend in with your commons, the other gives you an extra attack for the cost of a card. Commander and Guard have pretty good powers, which his champs can uniquely benefit from when unify is played.

I'm not so sold on aspirants, particularly when Malenatar can add so much movement anyways. You may want to consider warriors. They do the same damage as aspirants (vs commons, which is what you'll see most of in an early rush) but have twice the health.

His champ lineup is expensive though - with 1 8 coster, a 5 and a 6, that's 22 cards you have to spend, so you don't have much room for anything else. On top of that, their powers are expensive. Don't plan on summoning Kadros and Varden at the same time. Either of them can single handedly beat down a summoner if they have support. And don't summon more than maybe a single common unit to support your early push, but after that, save your magic for champs.

If you're running out of gas too early, try changing things up a bit to add a little more economy. 3 early MV champs had pretty good statlines and pretty good powers - Growden, Bellor, and Torodin. Try giving those 3 a try. They will have tons of health, they will be easier to deploy than his base champs, and their powers mesh decently well with Malenatar's abilities.

Growden in particular can really punish the enemy walls. Malenatar can reliably topple a wall in 1-2 turns with Growden's help.

Bellor and Torodin look like pedestrian 2AVs, but don't disregard them so easily - Unify and Onslaught allow them to get extra attacks. With 7 life each, they will take loads of punishment and deliver loads back.

Torodin can also take advantage of Malenatar's extra moves (during Unify turns of course) and tumble through blockers to get to the summoner.

It's true you're taking range out. But you never have much with MV anyways. You can also consider Quen if you're looking for a cheaper range option than Varden. Quen's power is more efficient compared to Varden. Her lower health can be offset by unify + guard, meaning you can play her more forward than normal. Her lower AV potential is mitigated somewhat by Onslaught + Unify.

Finally, there's a build out there that includes an early rush and luka to stifle the opponent's unit abilities and keep them hemmed into their own zone, but it's not this build.

to sum up:

1. replace aspirants with warriors
    2. replace champs with Growden, Bellor and Torodin
    3. early push
    4. rapid mana build
    5. use onslaught and unify every single turn you can
    6. get champs out to assassinate summoner

Let me know how you find it.

Thanks Rdebruys, I haven’t played Mal much and look forward to trying this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdebruys83 View Post
    IMO it sounds like you're playing Malenatar right. It also sounds like you're not using RMs or the Seer, which I support.

He's got the best early rushing capability of any summoner - so I say take advantage of it. Games where I play Malenatar seem to have 2 stages - a very early rush followed by a rapid mana build and the deployment of champs whose primary goal is to assassinate.

When assassination works, you are usually getting lucky with dice and finishing the game in turns 5-8. When it doesn't work, your economy is completely broken by turn 10. Looks good when it works, looks bad when it don't.

Malenatar really has only 2 events - onslaught and unify. One makes your champs blend in with your commons, the other gives you an extra attack for the cost of a card. Commander and Guard have pretty good powers, which his champs can uniquely benefit from when unify is played.

I'm not so sold on aspirants, particularly when Malenatar can add so much movement anyways. You may want to consider warriors. They do the same damage as aspirants (vs commons, which is what you'll see most of in an early rush) but have twice the health.

His champ lineup is expensive though - with 1 8 coster, a 5 and a 6, that's 22 cards you have to spend, so you don't have much room for anything else. On top of that, their powers are expensive. Don't plan on summoning Kadros and Varden at the same time. Either of them can single handedly beat down a summoner if they have support. And don't summon more than maybe a single common unit to support your early push, but after that, save your magic for champs.

If you're running out of gas too early, try changing things up a bit to add a little more economy. 3 early MV champs had pretty good statlines and pretty good powers - Growden, Bellor, and Torodin. Try giving those 3 a try. They will have tons of health, they will be easier to deploy than his base champs, and their powers mesh decently well with Malenatar's abilities.

Growden in particular can really punish the enemy walls. Malenatar can reliably topple a wall in 1-2 turns with Growden's help.

Bellor and Torodin look like pedestrian 2AVs, but don't disregard them so easily - Unify and Onslaught allow them to get extra attacks. With 7 life each, they will take loads of punishment and deliver loads back.

Torodin can also take advantage of Malenatar's extra moves (during Unify turns of course) and tumble through blockers to get to the summoner.

It's true you're taking range out. But you never have much with MV anyways. You can also consider Quen if you're looking for a cheaper range option than Varden. Quen's power is more efficient compared to Varden. Her lower health can be offset by unify + guard, meaning you can play her more forward than normal. Her lower AV potential is mitigated somewhat by Onslaught + Unify.

Finally, there's a build out there that includes an early rush and luka to stifle the opponent's unit abilities and keep them hemmed into their own zone, but it's not this build.

to sum up:

1. replace aspirants with warriors
    2. replace champs with Growden, Bellor and Torodin
    3. early push
    4. rapid mana build
    5. use onslaught and unify every single turn you can
    6. get champs out to assassinate summoner

Let me know how you find it.
    Thanks! I will try it!

I just wanted to add a couple things.

When I said rapid mana build, what I meant was to build a minimum 3-4 cards on every turn. If this means building a champ or two, so be it. Get a champ out by turn 2 if possible.

Also don't be afraid to burn onslaught or unify if you didn't use them in a turn. You need the magic. You always need the magic. Even if you get them back into your hand. You can always look for superior planning.

I tried a similar deck to the one you suggested by:

Adding warriors
    removing expensive champs and adding cheap ones with high live ( torodin and bellor, but kept Varden as I needed some range) and the results were much better I was finally able to kill boring elien in a consistent way.

Also I think I am improving on how to use Malenatar’s power in a more eficient way.

I did not get to the point of building champs, but events. good thing is that Elien was forced to also play suboptimally to keep the pace at the end Mal had more magic than Elien.

The difference is huge by only using cheapper champs compared to Kadros.

This thread's got my gears turning. A champ line of 6 costers is 1 more one average than the median cost. So it's still actually more expensive than it could be.

If you look at Malenatar's 5 cost options, I'd say Ossa has an economic stat line, and a mediocre power. Quen's good, but her stat line isn't economic, and it's expensive.

Then there's Varn. He's not economic, but his power would synergize well in Malenatar. Undeniably well. Aspirants, commanders, guards crowding him, he's possibly getting multiple 3-5AV attacks.

Father Benjamin is the other 5 coster. He's got range, he's economic, AND his power can allow you to play loose with your summoner.

Would a champ lineup of Father Benjamin, Quen and Varn be more effective than a champ lineup of 6 costers?

You'd be giving up like I said before, loads of health, economic stat lines, and some pretty good, probably better powers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12