Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malenatar help

Default Malenatar help

Any ideas in deckbuilding, play, etc.? Much appreciated!

my build is:
    (champion oriented)
    Varn, Growden, Ossa
    5x Storm Mage,
    4x Guard,
    3x Aspirant,
    2x Commander.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by owlord View Post
    my build is:
    (champion oriented)
    Varn, Growden, Ossa
    5x Storm Mage,
    4x Guard,
    3x Aspirant,
    2x Commander.
    My deck looks similar to this, except I run Varden instead of Varn and I have an Aspirant or two more at the expense of Storm Mages. I like having those cheap, 2 AV slingshots
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Thanks guys, I'll try both out!

I don't have a set deck build, as I like to change it up depending on the match up, but my core would be Defenders. Maybe something like:

Growden, Ossa, and someone else (Father Benjamin I always like)
    2 Commander
    3/4 Aspirant
    3/4 Defender
    2 Storm Mage
    0/1/2 Guard
    0/1/2 Brute

I'm playing as Malenatar vs Mugglug on Friday, so I'll let you know what I went with and how the match went afterwards.

Defenders as 1 common core
    - I've tried it and didn't think it was very good. I know you'll probably want to see for yourself
    - I used them only to Unify with my champions, and beef up my champions. I didn't summon them otherwise since they're below-average.

Champ-core and strategy?
    - The above posts have kind of redirected me to Mal as being a fresher way to play the oldest SW idea: extremely champ heavy.
    - Is it a two champ core? I still fantasize about setting up 2 main plays: Unify + Onslaught + Kadros' God of War AND Varden Superior Execution. And obviously Superior Planning lets you double down. Who's the third champ? Ossa if you want to play defensively? And Varden possibly in a Unify slingshot to have ranged units for a win?
    - What's role of commons in relation? Slingshotting is expensive. In a matchup against 4-5 health summoners, I'd slingshot Storm Mages all day. Otherwise, I think I'd opt for KC's cheaper Aspirant slingshots. So I'll include both units. Obviously Storm Mage + Onslaught is good, but opponent has to mess-up (also maybe Onslaught is better on Kadros). Aspirants as the best damage common. Guards to protect inefficient Aspirants, champs, when unified, and Storm Mages to get more juice from Call Lightning. Commanders as another very niche Unit?

Strategy suggestions
    - plays or combos that have or haven't worked for you? Strong/weak plays?

Given above, what I'll try next and report about
    Varden
    Kadros
    Ossa
    4 Storm Mage
    4 Aspirant
    3 Guard
    3 Commander
    Last edited by commandercool; 04-13-2017 at 02:09 PM.

Good deck.

Sometimes try Varn instead of Kairos: just less expensive and can be huge with Maletanar's ability.

That's all
    Strategy is the key. Luck is all you need then.

Still have way too few Malenatar games on me, but Qaylam and Quen are must includes for me. Then last spot I like Growden (to have another 3AV champs) or Varden (as another pot shot champ). I run Stormmages (5x, or 4x), Guards (4x), few Aspirants (2x, or 3x) and Commander (3x) as commons.

I build crazy and push early. I play the Stormmage + Guard game a bit till I loose board control or I can use Malenatars ability to get 1-2 Stormmage calls on the opponent summoner. At this point I wait for any champ to show up to use commander/champ/unify/onslaught combo. If he does not allow me to do so I go with range champ + unify + Mals ability shot at the summoner and cover the champ with a guard.

So far the deck works for me. It's a mixture of assassination and champ stomp. Yes, you WILL run out of resources, but your opponent might need to spent a lot of resources as well in order to survive.

more random comments:
    -Kadros I do not like in this deck, he's better in Mojra, where you can protect him much more efficient. I prefer Growden/Qayla as heavy hitters, as I can still attack with other units, especially with commanders+unity.
    -I have no problem with this being a champ deck. Sunda is the common with champ support deck, so this can be the heavy champ + common support deck!
    -With Qayla + Malenatar it's really tough to avoid a unify'd Quen/Varden.

Thanks for your posts jwalker, always repect your takes. Starting to theorize that Mal is kind of like a harder-to-play and weaker Nikuya Na.
    Last edited by commandercool; 04-27-2017 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by commandercool View Post
    Thanks for your posts jwalker, always repect your takes. Starting to theorize that Mal is kind of like a harder-to-play and weaker Nikuya Na.
    Actually i can't argue against your simple conclusion. �� Makes me realize bis strong NN is

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast