Thread: New Sneeks v. New Torgan

Default New Sneeks v. New Torgan

Played a match tonight, as Sneeks rolling w/6 Lurkers against New Torgan rolling w/6 Invaders.

It was...interesting. We didn't finish as it got late. Torgan started at the start--he hoped he have some nice draws w/Invaders + Surge + Shift. I guess it didn't happen. I quickly beat him backwards into submission and got him on his heals for quite awhile. My Lurkers were extremely helpful. He had to burn his hand and draw quickly to fuel common summons and avoid losing the game then and there. It was interesting though because Torgan's MIWs were a big advantage against big Rage+Horde wall destruction turns--they make that strategy not as good for Sneeks. I believe I summoned all my Lurkers, often summoning them in key spots, waiting in the wings, ready to move in when a forward unit died. This isn't the type of strategy I'd normally employ but my build had no units w/non- Cave Gob faction symbols. That was kind of demoralizing to Torgan. He's put a Smasher or low-AV Thwarter out just to get a unit on the board and avoid being pushed back further into worse board position. This caused him to have units in bad spots where I could quickly get rid of them.

Eater was great for this matchup against Smashers, Thwarters, and Ice Armor. That's nothing new, though. But MAN! Those Lurkers! Had we finished the game, I think I would have won pretty convincingly

I'm aware that I was playing against Torgan. Torgan I think got a good boost on offense with Lurkers, but he's still not very strong. I think Torgan may still be a 2 on Lcanela's scale. Sneeks on the other hand, I do believe is a 4, balanced. I think it's difficult to see because Sneeks is very to play, which is why he can often feel extremely weak to some players. But again, I do believe Sneeks is balanced! Hats off to killercactus, hats off.

Lurkers both: (1) are a big economy boost to Sneeks; and (2) really help him with board presence. You can't underestimate a 1/2/0 statline. That's basically at least 6 magic + to Sneeks' economy. I'm never playing Sneeks again without 6 Lurkers.

Invaders, I didn't really get to see in action. They had, of course, great synergy w/For Glory, which he had to use as he was fighting for his life. My friend is generally a solid player, though. I haven't yet played Torgan-Invader and I give great deference to everyone that says Invaders gave Torgan a great boost. Maybe it was the matchup or the aggression. But Torgan still felt pretty weak to me.

Don't you dare disparage Torgan......He got me to the finals of a tourney y'know!!!
    "Shadow hide thee thief"

Prelate was Retch the Grotesque Mutant in "The Dance of Devils"
    Prelate was Archangel the Furious in "Light's Corruption"

These are the Vassal dice.
    They haunt your footsteps in the Vassal forums.
    They lurk in the shadows of every Vassal board.
    They hang like the sword of Damocles over the construction of every Vassal deck.
    They wait.
    They watch.
    They win.

Whoa! Really interested to see where you rank Torgan on lcanelas poll.

Well - that's a tough one. In some match-ups (e.g. Krusk) he doesn't stand a dog's chance (I mean - I have beaten Krusk with him - but the odds are terrible, and I'm not sure what the optimal anti-Krusk build could even be for Torgan. Maybe infinite magic with Etch and sit back forever? Not much of a game....)
    In other match-ups Torgan has much improved. He can now assassinate with the best of them thanks to Invaders. Lukestor is also amazing for flying over Minor Ice walls and countering commons in a tag team with Thwarters (for anti-champ)
    I did not lose a single match with Torgan in the tourney (playing 2xVlox, Mad Sirian and Sam Farthan) and as I recall have also beaten Little Meda and the rest of the new Second Summoners.
    I think Torgan is underrated, and can definitely give most summoners a run for their money - He is not great by any means, but certainly he is no Bolvi.....
    "Shadow hide thee thief"

Prelate was Retch the Grotesque Mutant in "The Dance of Devils"
    Prelate was Archangel the Furious in "Light's Corruption"

These are the Vassal dice.
    They haunt your footsteps in the Vassal forums.
    They lurk in the shadows of every Vassal board.
    They hang like the sword of Damocles over the construction of every Vassal deck.
    They wait.
    They watch.
    They win.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

I think even without Shift / Surge stuff, being able to build a MIW and then immediately summon an Invader off of it is a solid play that can surprise a lot of people.

Did he also run Mingle? I like Mingle there, too just to combo a bit with the Invaders.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

No, he didn't. But I take your word for it, and that seems good. He played 6 Invaders. I once thought that Torgan had to have 6 Invaders. But after this match last night, I think 5 is enough, and I'm convinced to try either Mingle or Luke. Another trick/way to surround. He did play Zuggdin, though. That was kind of interesting. I guess it let him know for certain one card he was going to draw. I can see that helping if you're trying to win mid game at the latest with Torgan.

I'd like to try this, playing pretty quickly: Mingle/Lukestor; Blagog; Ugg; 5 Invader, 4 Ice Golem, 5 Thwarter/Smasher. I don't own 2 Elien-Grognack though, so I'd probably play 5 IGs and 4 Smashers. Obviously I could "dilute" to a 4 common strategy, but I think that hurts the simplicity and quickness of the build: when you know if you have 6 Magic you can summon a Champion, and if you have 2 you can get a beef common. Maybe even to go Mingle, Luke, Ugg, 4 Invaders, etc.
    Last edited by commandercool; 03-16-2017 at 03:49 PM.