Thread: Does getting up trigger a free attack?

Default Does getting up trigger a free attack?

Per the rulebook, if you spend your entire turn on a tile with a monster and do not attack, the monster gets a free attack against you.

Standing up after being knocked down requires your entire turn. If there is a monster on your square when you get up, does the getting up action count as spending your entire turn on the tile, thus triggering a free attack?

I have had this come up in two separate games, where a hero gets knocked down on the tile with the boss. If another hero is on the tile or enters the tile before the roaming phase, then the boss will not roam away from the downed hero.

If getting up allows monsters in your square to take a free attack, in a lot of cases, that would almost guarantee getting knocked down again for some characters.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by cheezgrater View Post
    Per the rulebook, if you spend your entire turn on a tile with a monster and do not attack, the monster gets a free attack against you.

Standing up after being knocked down requires your entire turn. If there is a monster on your square when you get up, does the getting up action count as spending your entire turn on the tile, thus triggering a free attack?

I have had this come up in two separate games, where a hero gets knocked down on the tile with the boss. If another hero is on the tile or enters the tile before the roaming phase, then the boss will not roam away from the downed hero.

If getting up allows monsters in your square to take a free attack, in a lot of cases, that would almost guarantee getting knocked down again for some characters.
    For some reason I didn't think te monster got a free attack on you if another hero battled it that turn. Could be wrong though.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
    For some reason I didn't think te monster got a free attack on you if another hero battled it that turn. Could be wrong though.
    No, though that doesn't apply here. If you do not attack the elephant in the room, it will attack you. So yes, a monster will free-attack you if you get up and it's there. Note that the monster that knocked you out can (and will) roam out of the tile that you are in, so a new monster would have to roam into the tile for this to happen. If this does happen, feel free to harbor a bitter grudge against the First Player who told the monster to go find you.
    Ask me about the Summoner Wars VASSAL group chat!

The monster will not attack you. When you stand up, you lose your turn and have no actions. Monsters only get free attacks when you take two actions, and a battle action isn't at least one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbistro View Post
    The monster will not attack you. When you stand up, you lose your turn and have no actions. Monsters only get free attacks when you take two actions, and a battle action isn't at least one of them.
    Wait... huh? In this case, since the rule book says you may take "up to 2 actions," you could just take 1 action on your turn and not be free-attacked, right?
    Ask me about the Summoner Wars VASSAL group chat!

Along the same vein. If you move into a tile with a monster for one action and choose to do something else with your other action and not battle him does the monster get a free swing on you?

Quote Originally Posted by Teetoo View Post
    Along the same vein. If you move into a tile with a monster for one action and choose to do something else with your other action and not battle him does the monster get a free swing on you?
    No, because you did not spend your entire turn on the same tile as the monster.

If you move onto the square with the monster, an automatic battle occurs. As long as the monster is battled at least once, there's no free attack.
    Did you know? Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Quote Originally Posted by esper88 View Post
    If you move onto the square with the monster, an automatic battle occurs. As long as the monster is battled at least once, there's no free attack.
    The automatic battle only occurs when the monster is encountered for the first time (when you enter a new tile rolling the die) If you move back to the tile of an existing monster, no free attack or battle action is taken.
    Exchange This for a Free Dinner in Hell

Free attacks only occur when you spend your entire turn with a monster and do not battle it, or if you are forced to fight a monster that you cannot legally battle (like an Uber monster).