Thread: To Buy or Not to Buy...

Default To Buy or Not to Buy...

Alright so I've heard and taken a look at Dungeon Run since probably before it came out just from hearing it around here. And recently I've thought about buying it but haven't been able to decide yet. It looks like a really interesting game and I really like that it's the same world as Summoner Wars, but I don't know how well it would survive at the game-table here. My friends and I aren't like super into board games, all we've got is Heroscape (which hasn't been played since forever), Summoner Wars (hopefully will be finding the table again soon), and Risk Legacy which we've loved since I got it in February. That's us. So if I'm going to get a game I want it to last a good while and get a good amount of plays from it. I'm not sure how much my friends would take to the whole backstabbing thing. I mean we do it all the time in real life (no not literally), but I'm not sure how the gameplay and just...stuff will sit with them. Since I'm the one who probably enjoys it the most, I would love to give it a try and probably would play it enough if they were interested. Which also brings me to the Solo option. How interesting is the solo version just in general? Does it work well and is there a good amount of replayability?

Just some back and forth thoughts that having been roaming through my mind...

Edit: Also I do not have ANY of the new SW stuff since the Master Set release (inlcuding the MS), which I've been thinking about buying for a while.
    Last edited by Killer Lawnmower; 04-08-2012 at 05:48 PM.
    Killer Lawnmower was Yoyu the XXVII in Keep of the Necronomicon.
    Killer Lawnmower was Scam in The Admiral's an Idiot.
    Killer Lawnmower Storytold in Operation GoldenEye.
    Killer Lawnmower was Ambrose "Wildshot" Kent of Quimby in The Hall of Statues.
    Killer Lawnmower was Khexhu in Rallul's Banquet.
    Killer Lawnmower was Cadet Nathanial in The Great Marsh.
    Killer Lawnmower was Tacullu in The Twelve Masks of the Summoner.

CoRT: 6-9 (+Storyteller x1)

IMO, the solo version is hardly worth playing. The lack of interaction with other players' characters just takes so much out of the game. That said, with more than 2 players, its an awesome game, I highly recommend it.

uhhh... YOU DON'T HAVE THE MASTER SET?!

Get all the Summoner Wars stuff first, then think of other games.
    The Fallen Kingdom is Rising...

Quote Originally Posted by airdroppers View Post
    uhhh... YOU DON'T HAVE THE MASTER SET?!

Get all the Summoner Wars stuff first, then think of other games.
    Yeah yeahhhh. I know. But school takes priority over everything else...why buy it when you can't use it for a while.
    Killer Lawnmower was Yoyu the XXVII in Keep of the Necronomicon.
    Killer Lawnmower was Scam in The Admiral's an Idiot.
    Killer Lawnmower Storytold in Operation GoldenEye.
    Killer Lawnmower was Ambrose "Wildshot" Kent of Quimby in The Hall of Statues.
    Killer Lawnmower was Khexhu in Rallul's Banquet.
    Killer Lawnmower was Cadet Nathanial in The Great Marsh.
    Killer Lawnmower was Tacullu in The Twelve Masks of the Summoner.

CoRT: 6-9 (+Storyteller x1)

I don't like the solo version and I get the impression the designers don't really either. Dungeon Run is fun, but maybe you should have others in your game group take a look at it first and give their opinions. No board game is fun without anyone to play it with.
    Ask me about the Summoner Wars VASSAL group chat!

the original dungeon run was a solo player game, probably worth looking for those files if PnP are up your alley.

I'm not a big fan of solo board gaming, and therefore I didn't find Dungeon Run to be too exciting in that aspect either. I wouldn't really say there is a lot of fun or excitement to be had there. You may find otherwise, but personally you may get a few plays out of the single player, but it would be pretty limited I would guess.

On the other hand...Dungeon Run may or may not be good for your group. It is a game primarily for fun, there is not much in terms of strategy. It is fun to play if you're looking to just have fun. I think it's a pretty good game, the components are quite nice.

With that being said, I'm not sure how many plays you'd get. If you're just starting to form up a game library, I'm not really sure that Dungeon Run has a place on it right away. It's a fun game, but it isn't my favorite or anything. It is fun and is unique, but I guess my point is without much strategy you don't feel like you have a ton of control over your ability to win, and that personally doesn't make me wanna come back to it way often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixio View Post
    As for Ranior, he's a little more difficult to deal with and can do some real damage.
    Tournament Record: 37-18

Necro, rather than starting a new thread:

Is it any good for 2 people?
    Orc.....Elf.....Army.....One
    OrcElfArmyOne on Heroscapers, iOS, and Vassal as well.

Not as fun for two people, the more the better