Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Flight officially kills off its last 2 CCGs

Default Fantasy Flight officially kills off its last 2 CCGs

Posted today at Fantasy Flight Games' website, they've decided to euthanize both the UFS (Universal Fighting System, i.e. Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, etc.) and the Kingdom Hearts TCG, citing lackluster player involvement, a bad economy, and the general non-viability of CCGs in general these days.

It's a necessary move on their part: the 5 people left that care won't squawk loud enough for anyone to hear them. And FFG's focus on their 'LCG' concept makes far more business sense, as I believe they can actually make money on those.

Still, i remember playing 4th Edition Magic back in 1995 at a time when CCG's were crawling out of the woodwork & thinking, "Wow, it's great to see this new form of gaming taking off & attaining popularity!" I bet some of you did too, and i have some fond memories of CCG's come & gone (Doomtown, L5R, Netrunner, Illuminati) so seeing a few more keel shouldn't be a big surprise, but it still kinda reminds me of when some of my faves shuffled off to the big shoebox in the sky.

RIP UFS
    RIP Kingdom Hearts

The game market just keeps expanding, and with so many great gaming options, I don't think publishers can get away with the blind purchase model anymore. Gamers know it is a money sink and for the most part they avoid completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    The game market just keeps expanding, and with so many great gaming options, I don't think publishers can get away with the blind purchase model anymore. Gamers know it is a money sink and for the most part they avoid completely.
    Especially after getting burned so many times by the game companies who make these rare powerful cards that people spend a fortune to get only for them to be considered "illegal" down the road.

Agreed that the CCG concept has been used as a giant money vacuum aiming straight for the gamer's wallet... but to play (capitalist) devil's advocate: If i were running a gaming company i would want to make money. money helps (especially when you don't even have to hold a gun to a consumer's head to encourage participation.) Yes, rares are rare and commons are common, and if you make the most powerful cards the most difficult to obtain, people will kvetch. but... the thrill of the blind-purchase chase is part of the appeal.

I enjoy when people get very, very heated in discussions about CCGs, proclaiming them as everything evil under the sun (spend any time at BoardGameGeek and these folks spring up regularly), but it seems like part of the vociferousness stems from how alluring it is to plunk down your $2.50 for a booster and get a chance at something fun & unique. Like railing against something that you know possesses appeal, so you have to yell that much harder to overcome the sex appeal. And it's not like Company-X is selling the Epic Rares themselves for megabucks, that profit goes to the secondary market sellers, be they FLGS or collectors. And if it takes $10 or $20 for 1 card to finally get that deck juuuuuuust right, so be it. It adds another grown-up dimension to the hobby. And in the good ol' USA conspicuous consumption never gets old. Ask my neighbor who spent $4,700 on a hand-hammered wet-sink for his basement.

So i think there is a market for CCGs and a market for blind-purchase collectible games, but i completely agree with Colby that for many people the overwhelming amount of gaming options nowadays means they don't have to subscribe to that business model anymore. For example, i think Fantasy Flight's LCG concept and Battleground: Fantasy Warfare's consistent faction releases give people that continuing sense of "newness" that prevents the game from going stale. But once upon a time this whole "internet" thing made obtaining new & interesting games a bit more of a chore, so walking into Electronics Boutique and seeing 5 different sets' worth of boosters was... magical. Pun intended.

You are absolutely right, capitalism rules, and for a season blind-purchase was king, but I think this FFG news is just another sign that that season is coming to a close. The gamers are speaking with their wallets.

Part of me loved CCGs as well. There certainly is something thrilling about tearing open some boosters. But I found it hard to justify purchasing a game repeatedly to "find the game", and things like continuous new editions of Magic killed the joy for me.

Agreed. I left Magic behind a few years ago myself. Though when i see a new Magic block has been released, the alcoholic in me pricks up his ears and starts sniffing around. It really is a lifelong battle.

I enjoy Magic quite a bit too. Sort of. I started back in 1995 or so too with 4th Edition, Chronicles, and Ice Age. I quit just two years later though, in 1997. Came back again a year or so ago with the Alara block, and had fun collecting and playing new multi-colored decks against my friends, but now I've lost interest again with Zendikar for some reason. I played in a few booster drafts at GenCon and a store in my area.

I like the the up front model that Summoner Wars has. You get pretty much everything you need in those starter sets, and maybe a second if you really want to tweak it. I was surprised a bit at the guy on BGG who was upset that you only get 4 Engineers and 4 Berserkers in one GD/CG set. Anyone who has played knows that wanting 9 or 10 Engineers in your deck is defintely a weird corner case not putting up a fuss over. I'm interested to see what happens when we get more expansions in the future though- I already see how experience and skill come into play, even without any deck-building element involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
    I enjoy Magic quite a bit too. Sort of. I started back in 1995 or so too with 4th Edition, Chronicles, and Ice Age. I quit just two years later though, in 1997. Came back again a year or so ago with the Alara block, and had fun collecting and playing new multi-colored decks against my friends, but now I've lost interest again with Zendikar for some reason. I played in a few booster drafts at GenCon and a store in my area.

I like the the up front model that Summoner Wars has. You get pretty much everything you need in those starter sets, and maybe a second if you really want to tweak it. I was surprised a bit at the guy on BGG who was upset that you only get 4 Engineers and 4 Berserkers in one GD/CG set. Anyone who has played knows that wanting 9 or 10 Engineers in your deck is defintely a weird corner case not putting up a fuss over. I'm interested to see what happens when we get more expansions in the future though- I already see how experience and skill come into play, even without any deck-building element involved.
    Yeah, I have 10 Engineers and think its totally unnecessary. The compulsive in me made me do it. But if an all walls faction comes out, I'll be happy I have them.
    Never heard of her?!? It's the car that did the Cannonball run in less than 0.0000000000015645847216634030102578805262265 parsecs!

I agree. I've been suckered twice into CCGs and end up extremely disillusioned. Personally, I will dance on their graves. I prefer games I only have to buy once. Like this one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast