Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you mean by "Assassination" in SW?

I really really like early wounds on an opponents summoner - i just do not spent too much resources on it to not loose the economy game doing it.

IT IS NOT true that these early wounds do not bring anything. If a 5 life summoner is down to 2 life he can rarely fight in the lategame. The player also needs to constantly worry about assassination and therefore needs to play suboptimal. People just do these very expensive moves and then complain about assassination is not viable. Example: Abua -
    - i do not play 2 gorillas + haste cause it's to expensive if it fails (average 4 wounds on that summoner for 7 cards is nice, but if they fail to pummel 30% its a desaster and the opponent gets easy 2 magic,
    - i do not haste that lioness to displace a freshly summoned lioneer (6 cards, needs that hasted unit as well, 1 magic for opponent, for 2 life of opponent summoner).
    - i might haste one single lioness and chant of growth it (4 cards, 1 magic for my opponent for 2 life) if another unit can profit from the move as well or that lioness is already on the field.

Just keep the economy in mind and assassination is an ok side strategy, that pays of in the lategame (equals out), if you don't rely on it. This is especilly true for summoners that like to be at the front (sundy, sera, sneeks, sam, niki for example) but also summoner that are strong units in the lategame (krusk, grog, sirian, bolvi)

Perhaps in a competitive play, it is significant to consider the economy of card and mana usage in order to play optimally. However, from another perspective, the attempt to engage in an assassination tactic makes the game fun and have players feel on edge. Yes, it can be costly to make an assassination attempt. But when the maneuver pulls off, there is always this good feeling of satisfaction. If it does not, it becomes an interesting topics for players to talk about after the game. High risk, high return.

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
    I really really like early wounds on an opponents summoner - i just do not spent too much resources on it to not loose the economy game doing it.

IT IS NOT true that these early wounds do not bring anything. If a 5 life summoner is down to 2 life he can rarely fight in the lategame. The player also needs to constantly worry about assassination and therefore needs to play suboptimal. People just do these very expensive moves and then complain about assassination is not viable. Example: Abua -
    - i do not play 2 gorillas + haste cause it's to expensive if it fails (average 4 wounds on that summoner for 7 cards is nice, but if they fail to pummel 30% its a desaster and the opponent gets easy 2 magic,
    - i do not haste that lioness to displace a freshly summoned lioneer (6 cards, needs that hasted unit as well, 1 magic for opponent, for 2 life of opponent summoner).
    - i might haste one single lioness and chant of growth it (4 cards, 1 magic for my opponent for 2 life) if another unit can profit from the move as well or that lioness is already on the field.

Just keep the economy in mind and assassination is an ok side strategy, that pays of in the lategame (equals out), if you don't rely on it. This is especilly true for summoners that like to be at the front (sundy, sera, sneeks, sam, niki for example) but also summoner that are strong units in the lategame (krusk, grog, sirian, bolvi)
    Well, that's another thing that I would distinguish from assassination. Getting some early wounds on summoners so that it's harder for them to use their ability or attack value, even though you know you won't be able to kill them until the late game, seems like a distinct phenomenon. It follows the logic of economic thinking, whereas assassination tactics break that logic.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by gojaejin View Post
    Well, that's another thing that I would distinguish from assassination. Getting some early wounds on summoners so that it's harder for them to use their ability or attack value, even though you know you won't be able to kill them until the late game, seems like a distinct phenomenon. It follows the logic of economic thinking, whereas assassination tactics break that logic.
    This is kind of where my head was when I typed out my comment on the last page. jwalker is correct that it will adjust the way that they have to play going forward. However, in my experience, strong players aren't really hindered much by this. It doesn't take a whole lot to get that Summoner safe unless the opponent has big-time tricks they can pull, or Uriel.

And while getting those early wounds does change the way the opponent plays, it also oftentimes gives them a magic advantage. So having to save the Summoner hurts them, but a lot of times I think the magic advantage helps them more, so they come out ahead, again, as long as you don't end up killing the Summoner.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

I know there's been talk of Summoner baiting as a strategy. Does that constitute its own playstyle or too gimmicky?

My definition of an assassin unit:

a unit with
    - Low HP
    - High Attack value
    - A capacity to attack a target that is normaly out of range.

& The assassination strategy is the use of assassin units .
    Last edited by Batou31; 01-13-2017 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nburghardt View Post
    I know there's been talk of Summoner baiting as a strategy. Does that constitute its own playstyle or too gimmicky?
    I wouldn't consider it a playstyle unto itself--more a small part of the defensive playstyle--but it is a valid tactic. Like gojaejin said, if you try to assassinate and fail, it puts you way behind. So if I know I can prevent my opponent from landing the finishing blow, I may leave my summoner more exposed in an effort to entice them into summoning commons, using expensive mobility tricks, and other plays that will put them behind in the magic game.

The only summoner where this is a central part of the strategy is Little Meda. She has the highest survivability, making her extremely hard to assassinate. Since she doesn't need to fear losing to assassination, she can hit walls from range as an action starter, then use Daddy I'm Scared and/or Daddy Doesn't Like You to punish units that come after her.
    Last edited by prometheuslkr; 01-12-2017 at 01:13 PM.
    Ask me about the Summoner Wars VASSAL group chat!

I'd define assassination as a strategy where your goal is to kill the opponent's summoner without achieving a dominant board position.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12