Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: House Rules and Deck Building Restrictions my group uses

Default House Rules and Deck Building Restrictions my group uses

These are the house rules we use that seem to help with balance between all summoners, more variance in deck building, more use of generally unused Champs, more fun. None of these are set in stone, and we will continue to change things to help with balance and fun along the way. Please let me know your thoughts on the system!

House Rules:
    1) Bolvi Upgrades go to Bolvi's Discard Pile instead of Opponent's Magic.
    2) Mutations that are destroyed by the controlling player by summoning/mutating, the Mutation goes to Magic and the card underneath goes to Discard.
    3) Kind of an unspoken rule that we don't look through each others Discard Piles, unless we are about to use an Event or Ability that draws from their Discard.
    4) Besiege the Walls - Choose up to 3 walls that are not units.

Deck Building Restrictions:
    1) No Rallul Units outside of a Rallul Deck.
    2) No spamming common units. Each player builds with one full set of everything. (3x Farrah Commons, not 6x)
    3) We use a Champ cost table when deck building, along with a Summoner handicap, to restrict more the 1 OP Champ being used in a deck, plus to add more variance to our Champ selection.
    4) We also use a Mutation cost table similar to the above Champ cost table, to again add more variance.

I will post these tables and the Summoner handicaps in the next post when I have some time.
    Last edited by KBurg7; 10-20-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Here is the current Champ cost deck building table we are using. Each summoner has a base of 6 points to spend. Some of the weaker summoners have a handicap giving them an extra 3 or 6 points to spend. Tier A Champs cost 6, Tier B cost 3, Tier C cost 1, and Tier D cost 0. This system makes it so Tundle can't build Lun and Kynder together, or Krusk with Dinky, Biter and Sand Wyrm. It makes us try new and interesting Champ combos. Plus a restriction for Filth Summoners when building Mutations.

THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS!

Mutations: For every Tier A, you must include a Tier C Mutation, rounded down. You can have as many Tier B as you like.
    A: Claw, Corpulent, Horror, Poison, Winged, Spew, Tentacle, Tusk
    B: Amoeba, Beastial, Blade, Bloodspray, Burrow, Gas Filled, Drool, Leech, Spellsucker, Springy, Grotesque
    C: Absorption, Barbed, Bone, Edible, Incanter, Legion, Stoneflesh, Void,

Cave Filth
    A: Mook,
    B: Krag, The Eater, The Feeder,
    C: Blarf, Smeege, Dibs
    D: Hester, Nanny, Vomitus, The Soul Eater, Her, Scabbicus, Reeker, Scagg, The Abomination,

Deep Benders
    A: Lun, Sorgwen,
    B: Kynder, Noa, Owl Gryphon
    C: Kendre, Lem, Drek, Haku,
    D: Deep Troll, Gulldune, Keodel, Gwalark, Gren, Kalal, Piclo, Sprog, Aurora, Kalu, Talu, Puppet Master,

Fallen Phoenix
    A: Fire Drake,
    B: Duke Ramazall, Helkar, Hellfire Drake, Maelena, Skhull, Holleas, Anica,
    C: Hirud, Kaebeeros, Laleya, Elut-Bal, Karthos,
    D: Corpse Wyrm, Dragos, Fanessa, Rahlee. Kaeseeall, Gul-Dass,

Jungle Shadow
    A: Satara, Xaserbane,
    B: Gargos, Hydrake, Jujugara, Makgongo, Melek, Miti Mumway, Uriel, Zhant,
    C: Makeinda Ru, Shiiq,
    D: Kadara, Kuldrid, Malidala, Miti Kyru, Shikwa, Taliya, The Child,

Sand Cloaks
    A: Biter, Dinky,
    B: Fink, Kreep, Sand Wyrm, Silts, Spider, Violet, The Admiral,
    C:
    D: Bauble, Doc, Kyra, Scam, Stink, Tark, Cyrus, Barston, Dagger, Hawk, Sand Drake, Sin-Sin,

Swamp Mercenaries
    A: Glurp, Turt, Duggle, Etch, Glarg, Rygos, Turt,
    B: Mik the Tusk, Prong, Hulgorad, Khan Queso, Malevolence, Urick, Lukestor, Saella
    C: Murk, Splub, Mingle, Mundol, The Seer, Sairook, Zur Lak,
    D: Blerg, Skrub, Bodgan, Khexu, Magos, Naan'Nashi, Skrub, Grubs, Kogar, Splack, Rath, Sklursh, Khan Carne,

Tundra Guild
    A: Baldar, Gror,
    B: Rukar, Blagog, Krung, Bragg, Grundor, Ugg
    C: Ragnor, Grok, Thorkur,
    D: Halvor, Gruggar, Dwaf, Raldag, Tordok, Ulfric, Vognar, Zuggdin, Grundor’s Tower, Krom,

Vargath Vanguards
    A: Growden, Kalon Lightbringer,
    B: Father Benjamin, Luka, Ossa, Quen, Sybil Swancott, Jacob Eldwyn,
    C: Bellor, Coleen Brighton, Kadros, Leah Goodwin, Qayla, Torodin,
    D: Korbolden, Master Bullock, Raechel Loveguard, Valentina Stoutheart, Varden, Varn, Archangel,
    Last edited by KBurg7; 10-20-2017 at 06:18 PM.

Summoner Handicaps (All of them start with 6 Points plus their Handicap) Again THIS IS FAR FROM PERFECT! We plan on changing this every so often until we get it right.

Cave Filth:
    Sneeks +6
    Frick 0
    Demagogue 0
    Little Meda 0
    The Warden 0

Deep Benders:
    Tundle 0
    Brath 0
    Tacullu 0
    Shiva 0
    Endritch +3

Fallen Phoenix:
    Prince Elien 0
    Queen Maldaria 0
    Ret Talus 0 (special notes: Hellfire Drake treated as Tier A)
    Mad Sirian 0
    Immortal Elien 0

Jungle Shadow:
    Abu Shi +6
    Nikuna Na 0
    Selundar +3
    Saturos 0
    Melundak +3

Sand Cloaks:
    Vlox 0
    Jexix 0
    Krusk 0
    Scraven 0
    Marek 0 (special notes: Spider treated as Tier A)

Tundra Guild:
    Oldin 0
    Bolvi +6
    Grognak 0 (special notes: Bragg treated as Tier A)
    Torgan 0
    Hogar 0

Vargath Vanguard:
    Sera +6
    Sam 0
    Sunderved 0
    Malentar 0
    Moyra 0

Swamp Mercenaries:
    Mugglug 0
    Natazga +3
    Rallul 0
    Farrah 0
    Glurblub 0
    Last edited by KBurg7; 10-23-2017 at 11:17 PM.

A couple notes
    As you said, you know some of the unit rankings are off, but that said:
    I think Owl Gryphon is tier A, Noa (in Brath) Karthos in iElien, Hellfire in Ret, Zhant in Melundak,Miri Mumway in Avis, Hydrake is close, everywhere, Makeinda Ru is A in Avis, Miri Kyruis probably B in Niki, The Admiral is A everywhere, Bauble is probably a C, Pron is an A, Urick is an A, I think Sairook is a c, but Munson. D, Grundors Tower an A in bolvi, Thorkur a B, Ulfric.a B in Hogar , Kalon Lightbringer a B, Father Ben an A, Queen an A, Sybil and Jacob As, Archangel a B in Sera, Leah an A in at least Sera, Torodin a solid B in Sunderved (with crazy Torodins Advance, Suoerior Planning x2 combo) Kadros at least a B in Malenetar, and Korbolden at least a B in Malenetar. Master Bullock a B in Sam

I agree with some of those and some are ones I plan on changing pretty soon. I don't agree with some of your suggestions only because in this system there can't be too many Champs in tier A, otherwise the same problem happens of always using Lun or Sorgwen or Baldar, etc. because if you have to choose between Owl Gryphon and Lun it will most likely be Lun. Tier A is reserved for 1 or 2 of the absolute best of each faction so that you have the decision of 1 tier A and 2 tier D or 3 Champs from a mix of the lower tiers. Some tier A Champs like Anica and Ugg, are only up there because we have used them so much, otherwise they would be tier B. Admiral is not tier D, probably more tier B to me, but my group has never summoned him before for some reason, so we want to see him used.

I think this system really adds a lot to summoner wars and I highly recommend it to anyone feeling the game needs a bit of deck building diversity, fun and even some balance.

Added Mutations to the deck building restrictions in the second post.

We are currently working on new events to make CUEs obsolete, certain summoners more fun and at the same time more balanced. Here is what we are working with currently for some of the summoners. This is a work in progress. We play test these and then make changes.

Ret Talus: Objective - More thematic and fun. Make Zombies usable. Make Ret a little weaker for balance.
    Replace 2 Events (2 MD)
    New Event: Graveyard (x2) - Place this card on top of any Wall Card you control. You may summon Common Units within 2 spaces of this wall. Zombie Warriors within 2 spaces of this Wall gain the following ability. GREATER INFECT: Add 1 to the Attack Value of this Zombie Warrior. Each time this Zombie Warrior destroys an enemy Unit, you may immediately remove a FK Common Unit from any Discard Pile and place it on the space that the destroyed Unit occupied.

Vlox: Objective: More Thematic and Fun. Make Alliance units an option for Vlox. Keep at same power level.
    Replace 3 Events (2 MD and Spy)
    New Event Ability: Flare Gun - Once per turn during your Attack Phase, you may choose a ranged Unit you control and attack with them targeting a card on the Battlefield that this Unit can attack.
    New Event Ability: Place this card under a Common Cloak Unit you control. This Unit gains the following ability: Master's Apprentice - This Common Unit shares the same abilities as Vlox each turn.
    New Event: Contract Killers - You may summon Cloak Common Units during this Event Phase. Any Units summoned this Event Phase that are on the Battlefield at the end of your turn are returned to your hand along with any Event Abilities under them and their summoning cost is reimbursed if able.

Grognack: Objective: More Thematic and Fun. Make Alliance Units an option for Grog. Push Offense. Keep at same power level.
    Replace 3 Events (2 Reinforcements, 1 AhiB)
    Event Modification: Freeze: Costs 1 to remove, or 2 to remove within 3 spaces of Grognack.
    New Rune Event: Ice Spikes - Choose a Tundra Orc Champion or Common Unit you control and place this card underneath it. Anytime this Unit ends its movement you may select an adjacent Unit. Roll a die. On a result of 4 or higher the selected Unit receives 1 Wound Marker. Whenever any Enemy Unit ends its movement adjacent to this Unit, roll a die. On a result of 4 or higher the Enemy Unit receives 1 Wound Marker.
    New Rune Event: Rally Call – Choose a Tundra Orc Unit you control and place this card underneath it. When this Unit destroys an Enemy Unit, add 1 to the Attack Value of all other Tundra Orc Units you control until the end of the turn.
    New Rune Event: Liquid State – Choose a Tundra Orc Unit you control and place this card underneath it. This unit may move through Wall cards and is unaffected by any Wall effects. (Vine walls & Event cards is what we are going for here.)

Oldin: Objective: More Thematic and Fun. Make Alliance Units an option for Oldin. Push Offense. Keep at same or slightly lower power level.
    Replace 5 Events (2 MD, 1 AHiB and 2 Reinforcements)
    Event Modification: Besiege the Walls: Choose 3 Enemy Walls on the Battlefield that aren't Units.
    New Rune Event: Heart of a Champion – Choose a Common Guild Dwarf Unit you control and place this card underneath it. Reveal a Guild Dwarf Champion from your hand, Discard or Magic Pile and place it on the table visible to both players. This Common Unit gains the revealed Champion's Ability until this Rune Event is removed from this Unit, at which time return the revealed Champion to the spot it was pulled from. (Not sure on smoothest wording for this.)
    New Rune Event (2 Copies): Rune of Mining - Choose a Guild Dwarf Unit you control and place this card underneath it. When this Unit attacks an adjacent Wall, add 1 to its Attack Value. If the attack inflicts at least 2 wounds on the Wall, remove the top card from the Discard Pile of the player who controls the Wall and place it on top of your Magic Pile.
    New Event: Topple – Choose a Wall you control. If this wall has 7 – 9 Health remaining, you may choose an enemy Common or Champion Unit within 3 clear straight line spaces of this Wall and place wound markers on the unit equal to the Wall's remaining health points; then destroy this wall. If the Wall has 4 – 6 Health remaining, the range is 2 clear straight line spaces. If the Wall has 1 – 3 Health remaining, the range an adjacent space to the Wall. Place wounds on an adjacent Enemy Unit equal to amount of life this Wall has remaining. Destroy this Wall.
    New Event: Strength in Numbers – Choose a Guild Dwarf Summoner or Champion Unit you control. You may place any other Units you control, one at a time, either in any empty space adjacent to the selected Unit or any empty space adjacent to another Unit that has already been placed adjacent to the selected Unit this turn.

Elien: Objective: Get rid of Magic Drain and slight boost to power level
    Replace 2 Events (2 MD)
    Event Modification: Burn and Greater Burn - ... within 4 spaces of your Summoner.
    New Event (2 copies): Greater Blaze Step - Choose a PE unit you control. If this unit is on the Battlefield at the end of your turn, you may place this unit adjacent to any Wall. Until the beginning of your next turn, this unit only receives wounds from rolls of 5 or higher.

Sera: Objective: More Fun and Boost Power level
    Modify 3 Events (1 Intercession, 2 Divine Strength)
    Event Modification: Intercession - This event isn't played during your event phase. Instead, after your opponent places a Wound Marker on a single Common or Champion Unit you control for the first time this turn, you may play this card to select the wounded Unit. If this Unit is still on the Battlefield at the end of this Attack Phase, remove all Wound Markers from this Unit and place them on an adjacent Unit.
    Event Modification: Divine Strength - You may remove up to 1 Wound Marker from each Common Unit you control OR you may remove up to 1 Wound Marker from your Summoner.

Tacullu: Objective: Make him actually Fun to play As and Against. Lower Power Level
    Modify 3 Events and 3 New Events (3 Mimic, 2 Magic Drain, 1 Hero is Born)
    Event Modification: Mimic - Choose an opponent and look at the chosen opponent's hand. You may choose an Event Card, excluding any type of Wall, from the chosen opponent's hand. This Mimic Event Card gains all the text of the selected Event Card and takes place immediately, if able.
    New Event:
    New Event:

Keep in mind we use our Deck Building rules at the same time as these, so 3 OP Champs can't be used with anyone.
    Last edited by KBurg7; 10-27-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Hey KBurg, I love the ideas of EAs in Vlox and Runes in Grognack.

Do you play vassal? If you're game, I'd be interested in playing some of your new events along with some of mine.

I really like the Freeze fix. Best I've seen

Quote Originally Posted by commandercool View Post
    Hey KBurg, I love the ideas of EAs in Vlox and Runes in Grognack.

Do you play vassal? If you're game, I'd be interested in playing some of your new events along with some of mine.
    Hey, yeah I have played on Vassel a few times, it is just really hard for me to find the time to get on, especially because I'm on the West Coast, so time difference seems to be a problem a lot of the time. I really do want to start getting on there more, and if I do, yes I'd be up for doing this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast