Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out of curiosity, who designed the new second summoners?

Default Out of curiosity, who designed the new second summoners?

I know

Farrah: KC
    Meda: Mr. Bistro
    Brath: BTBAM
    Natazga: Jexik
    Scraven: BTBAM and Colby (?)
    Saturos: Josh Rios
    Malenatar: same dude that did Sunderved
    Moyra: KC
    Glurblub: thenightshadow and Colby
    Hogar: Jexik
    The Warden: Joe Ellis?
    Endrich: Bryan Stout and Colby?
    iElien: Joe Ellis?
    Abua Shi: Jexik?

But what about the other summoners?
    Last edited by commandercool; 07-27-2017 at 09:34 PM.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

I designed Farrah, and made lots of changes and a couple designs on cards in the other factions. BTBAM did Brath and Scraven (maybe with Colby's help?). Josh Rios did Saturos. The same guy that did Sunderved did Malenatar. Mr. Bistro did Meda. Jexik did Natazga.
    Last edited by killercactus; 12-03-2016 at 03:40 PM.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Thanks, KC. And bc the post has to be 10 characters, thanks again

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

I did some specific cards that used to do other stuff. Like Uriel, Battle Procurement and Daddy, I'm Scared all used to do completely different things.

Brath also did, too - Brian and I worked together on her draw pile burn mechanic to make it something new.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Just wanted to bump this, bc thought it would be super cool if we got a full list of designers for all summoners, not even just second summoners. Can anyone please share knowledge they have? Right now, still looking for all all summoners except Moyra, and all new second summoners except Shiva, meaning I'm looking for Shiva info.
    Last edited by commandercool; 07-27-2017 at 11:48 AM.

I know this thread has been quiet for awhile, but I'll go chronologically. An * denotes my (lead) playtesting tenure; during that time period, I didn't do much raw design work, but I did affect card design and balance.

First 8: All Colby. (Grognack, Prince Elien, Oldin, Sneeks, Sera Eldwyn, Ret-Talus, Vlox,* Abua Shi*)
    Master Set:* 5/6 Colby: Tundle, Shadow Elves, Mugglug, Krusk, Tacullu. A friend of Colby's designed Sunderved.

I think that both the 8 and 14 faction game were pretty great, although it's hard to say because they hadn't been broken by the best players on the app yet. Vlox was a little weak, and Tundle a bit strong, but having come in with Sera and Ret so far below the rest of the cast, I'm amazed at the work we did in like 6 months between starting Vlox and getting here. There was almost a year lag between when this set was finished in testing (around February of 2011) and when the world saw it. Of the master set factions, the Benders and Shadow Elves were the oldest designs, pre-dating even some of the original starter set factions. Krusk/Mugglug/Tundle represented the new school, and Tundle used to be so insanely powerful that we thought we had reigned him in enough and were wrong.

Demagogue* Mr. Bistro
    Rallul* allskulls, a Heroscape guy. I think he also designed Grubs. This was like 7 years ago now!

During this period, my own interest and the interest of the testers started to wane. I probably should have left sooner. I also think we just didn't have enough testers to adequately work on this, and the methods I had developed to test more self-contained factions did not work properly for Rallul, especially his units outside of his deck. I probably did more testing of "base decks" than I should have, but I expected that was how most people would play. Remember, this was still before the app was released, or at least before I had managed to play it. (I didn't have an iPhone until 2013).

Somewhere during early 2nd Summoner testing, Cory Bullock (darkbladecb) became the lead playtester.

Queen Maldaria: 80% Jexik/ 20% Colby. My original design goal was to make a more aggressive PE summoner. Something like Grognack or Sunderved that deals direct damage. I really enjoyed playing her, but she was super oppressive when played right, and I had a plan to tone her down. I was in the process of writing a lengthy series of fixes and changing her event counts while keeping her flavor, when Colby came up with the Conjuration mechanic and Phoenixes. If my interest started to wane with Rallul/Dema, it really took a hit here.

Bolvi: 60% Colby / 40% Jexik. The BUILT special idea and most of the deck was Colby. However, we found that Grundor's tower and the other built stuff were pretty bad. So I thought about tower defense games and added the idea of Upgrades. I think he used to have 2 attack (upgradable to 5) and 8 health. And you could Voltron up Grundor's Tower with 3 upgrades. It was such an insane end-game duo, better even than like Grogs/Krung or Sera/Kalon. Probably could have nerfed just multi-upgrades and not Bolvi, or maybe give him 7 life.

Frick: 95% Colby/ 5% Jexik. It was my idea to make the Clinger unable to move on its own and make the art recommendation. Yes, I know, I'm a horrible person.

Torgan: 70% Colby/ 20% Cory / 10% Jexik. Torgan originally had some weird CUE, which I exchanged for a more interesting event. Then Cory handled the testing. Certain versions of Torgan were OP, and again I think we may have gone too far.

BOTH Torgan and Bolvi suffered from the "Yeah, but what about Oldin and Grognack?" Problem. The "big 3" were still so present in people's minds from the early days as well as their power and boringness on the app at this point, that we didn't want them to get better. Hogar suffered a similar fate.

Mad Sirian: ~70% Jexik/ 30% Colby. Most of the card special abilties, especially Mad Sirian's were mine. Some of the early events were Colby's, and they revolved around spending life, so I thought it would be cool if he had a way to get life back that didn't necessarily punish common usage as Life Drain did.

Natazga: 90% me. I really wanted her to attack walls and bust turtles, a deck that could create pressure and not play the Magic Pile game, much like Sneeks. Fury of the Fen was always there from the moment I started her (probably way back during Master Set testing), just seemed cool. I had the idea of an underpriced unit that collected trophies in the Skull taker. Colby pushed for an event that would utilize the skulls in some way, and I think it ended up clunky... but was a cool and thematic idea. If I could do things over, I'd actually swap her and Glurblub. He felt pretty standard SO to me, while her wall interactions made her more of a Merc/SO feel in my opinion. I designed her first and some of her original events were pretty similar to Glurblub's unknowingly, so I had to change her.

Hogar: Me. Final balance was KC. I wanted him to be a 3/7 and able to use more runes, but the old "yeah but what if Gror?" question ended up making him weak. Anyone who has played against my Grognack or Sneeks knows that I like bashing in with 7-life summoners.

That helps fill in some of the holes, I think.

I want to say that Isaac Vega got in on some design. Shiva might have been him actually.

I think the game might have been better if there were only 8 factions. I have trouble coming up with it exactly, but what if some of those decks were just 2nd summoners? I.e. Selundar was CG 2,** Mugglug was FK 2, Tundle was VG 2, Rallul was GD 2, Sunderved was JE 2, Krusk was CL 2, Demagogue was PE 2, Tacullu was TO 2. This would have been cooler than even those initial reinforcement packs and we could have avoided Mercenaries altogether. As well as Holleas, Rahlee and Bragg, lol. (I DID work on these reinforcement packs. That was job 1 before CL/JE).

**Scouts in Sneeks? OMG yes!
    Last edited by Jexik; 03-08-2018 at 12:35 PM.

Very nice, thanks Jexik!

Maldaria is one of the best defensive summoners in the game, with a very poor offense, if you had to do something to help her offense, what would it be? I think i would make conjure phoenix to work on any unit, not just maldaria. So putting a fire dancer in the frontline has an actual threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    Maldaria is one of the best defensive summoners in the game, with a very poor offense, if you had to do something to help her offense, what would it be? I think i would make conjure phoenix to work on any unit, not just maldaria. So putting a fire dancer in the frontline has an actual threat.
    That sounds pretty terrifying. Especially with Rahlee...

I like it.
    Shard the Void Mutant in The Dance of Devils
    Nicholas the Honor Guard in Light's Corruption
    Talu the REAL TWIN in The Ice Wedding

This is awesome thanks jex.

I don’t mean to cast any negativity towards anyone, just want to validate you:
    - I don’t like Maldaria Conjure Phoenixs. To me its clunky, inefficient, complicated, and defensive;
    - Abua was an awesomely well balanced summoner even though he’s not the strongest;
    - Vlox was always tricky to balance bc Spy was so swingy
    - Natazga is AWESOME. My favorite summoner by far. If she were produced at the time of master set there would have been less complaints about SW being Turtle Wars. Also, the Trophy event is clunky—if she’d have had Glurblub Spore Carriers or Swamp Dominion instead she’d be quite strong. She’s definitely the SM summoner and Glurblub the SO second summoner.
    - Hogar should have had less restricted or more rune and/or better statline. He’s always been a far more interesting Grognack to me in terms of raw powerful units. I love his interactions with the wall adjacency Units (Ulfric, Grok) and now Invaders;
    - Sirian is one of the coolest summoners and I’m glad he didn’t have Dragos ability that punished commons;
    - Im really glad Torgan didn’t have any type of CUE;
    - Rallul I’m sure was hard to balance bc he has a million different interactions within his deck not to mention the way his deck units interact in and affect other summoners;
    - I also think the game would have been better—though I still think it’s awesome— with a smaller amount of summoners (and perhaps later second editions to solve balance and unfun problems).

What were some of the early Torgan events that were too strong that didn’t make the cut?
    Last edited by commandercool; 03-09-2018 at 11:45 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast