Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: It's official -- I don't like Saturos

Surprised so many love Saturos and defend him, but I suppose I shouldn't be as there are also some who love Elien and Tacullu, so chalk it up to preference.

I'm just not a fan of summoners who can so radically change the board state/tempo with so little effort, but I understand why some do.

That's a good point JY, his abilities force an escalation immediately. While I find it exciting, it isn't fun to you. I think it is a tempo shift for several of the new summoners, but Saturos is the most deadly of left unchecked. I think you need to confront Natazga too or she will smother your side in vines. Scraven and Farrah are sounding like they are weakest vs a rush. Malenatar can insta-rush you if you don't prepare a defense. I think Brath can crowd you if you don't establish a foothold. I'm guessing you have tolerance for these summoners because the advantages gained isn't as extreme as Saturos.

From a balance perspective I don't think Saturos is a problem. He is probably a middle tier summoner.

Saturos can be scary to deal with because of the potential for explosive plays, but my games against him just don't bear out a notion that he's overpowered (I've played 19 games against him and only lost 4).

You can't play Saturos' deck without exposing his 5/6 life summoner, and most factions now have ways to drop a ton of dice on him (including getting around Vanquish through Summoners, Champions, or Commons + tactical tricks). If you try to play the midboard he'll punish you unless you're Sam or another summoner who can negate his powers. So just retreat, let him come to you, and smash Saturos in the face. A lot of summoners, if played well, will punish you for playing common-heavy. Saturos is just another one of them. So keep in mind one of the original rules of SW strategy--don't feed commons--and you'll be OK.
    Last edited by prometheuslkr; 12-07-2016 at 06:25 PM.
    Ask me about the Summoner Wars VASSAL group chat!

Quote Originally Posted by prometheuslkr View Post
    Saturos can be scary to deal with because of the potential for explosive plays, but my games against him just don't bear out a notion that he's overpowered (I've played 19 games against him and only lost 4).
    He's not overpowered. He just creates a lot of short, obvious, dumb-feeling games where he rolls better or an opponent rolls better in response, and a frantically magic-building opponent either draws a champ right away or doesn't. (TBH, though, in 4/5 of my first games against him, he had Relentless in the first hand, so not exactly a representative sample.)

Quote Originally Posted by gojaejin View Post
    He's not overpowered. He just creates a lot of short, obvious, dumb-feeling games where he rolls better or an opponent rolls better in response, and a frantically magic-building opponent either draws a champ right away or doesn't. (TBH, though, in 4/5 of my first games against him, he had Relentless in the first hand, so not exactly a representative sample.)
    Yeah, this is a fair criticism. Early RA can completely negate any strategy in a game.
    Ask me about the Summoner Wars VASSAL group chat!

I can't claim that I play with and against Saturos much but perhaps to have a 'balance' feel, Saturos can be put to pit against Moyra, Samuel, Shiva, Malenayar, Tundle, Brath and Mugglug.

• Moyra and Samuel both have cards that can prevent the immediate destruction of their units and deny Saturos placing new units via Blood Summon or Greater Blood Summon.
    • Malenatar has Guard to absorb damage and allow the player to choose whether they want to trigger the destruction of the attacked units. However, all commons of Mountain Vargath are melee attackers, there is always the danger of Vanguish
    • Shiva has Hinder to prevent Saturos use of Blood Summon (unless he pay two) and there is always the danger of Shiva being able to attack twice with her Common units when Sorgwen is on the board. This can make Saturos vulnerable when there is a clear path for ranged attackers to shoot him.
    • Tundle and Brath can use hit and run with Gem Mages. After the Gem Mage attacks, it can be placed behind a Wall so Saturos can't kill it and put his units to replace the destroyed Gem Mage. Moreover, both these Summoners can make use of Gem Golems which can make their units more resilient. The failure for Saturos to destroy Tundle's and Brath's units unit means he will be vulnerable of being attacked later by the opposing commons. Moreover Tundle's Magic Stasis can help prevent Saturos from playing Greater Blood Summon.
    • Mugglug's ability to place Vine Walls will make movement of Blood Drake difficult unless they are used to destroyed the adjacent Vine Walls. Furthermore, Mugglug has the benefit of Vine Guard that can protect his units from easy destruction.
    • Krusk's Javelineer can effectively deny Saturos attempt to shoot at range. Shaman can also be use for hit and run, retreating it to safety after attacking. With the addition of Wraith, it may not be easy for Saturos to dispose of Sand Goblin's units. Also, there is the danger of Krusk's Taunt where he can "teleport" Saturos Units to allow him to have an open path to shoot at Saturos.

I think opposing players who often play with commons in close formation adjacent to their Summoners (which can include Queen Maldaria, Sunderved, Ret-talus after using Raise the Dead, and to some extent Samuel) have to be careful with Greater Blood Summon.

I will echo with some player's idea it is better to pull back your forces (and perhaps attempt to build up and bring out your Champion) and allow Saturos to advance forward. There are a few occasions that my opponent use such approach which get Saturos hurt much in the process forcing him to retreat due to receiving high damage. Once Saturos retreated, there is little to be feared other than Greater Blood Summon. You may NOT want to place your Summoners at mid-field when Saturos is at mid-field.
    Last edited by brightknight_216; 12-09-2016 at 10:25 PM.

Look, we have a healthy debate going about how to play versus Saturos and none of us feel he's overpowered. ��

I'm surprised to see how many feel hanging back is the better strategy. I find him so dangerous on the opponent's side of the board. I realize that champ play is superior but it feels riskier than a midfield confrontation to me.

I think it's funny we've had all 3 takes on the best strategy against him: Go aggressive, hang back, and grapple him midfield. Since that's every option, I guess the "best strategy" is do whatever you want.

Finally played against Relentless Advance. Truly hated it.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast