Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Rules Variant

3 is too strong. Instead it should be once per game immediately before draw phase, can look at top 3 cards of draw pile, put 1 in hand, and remaining 2 back on top of draw pile in any order
    Last edited by commandercool; 12-02-2016 at 01:24 PM.

Have updated the original post on page 1.

Current #1 states,

Once per own turn, when attacking an opponent wall, on a 'hit' that is also a roll of 5+, may remove 1 card from own discard pile and place on top of own magic pile.

I didn't want to do every turn that you roll a hit bc thought it would be too powerful with summoner walls. The hit thing is important bc would be unintuitive if you could get a magic if you you rolled a 5 against a Bragg-protected wall with a unit that has 2 poison markers: you'd get the magic but you wouldn't inflict a wound marker. 5+ may be too high and not strong enough, maybe rule should be 4+. Any suggestions/thoughts on power level are welcomed.

Current #2 reads,

If summoner is on your side of the battlefield, when placing a wall, may place that wall on any space within 2 spaces of own summoner. If summoner is on opponent's side of the battlefield, when placing a wall, may place a wall on any space adjacent to own summoner.

@Prome. You won out in power level on 2 spaces as opposed to 1 bc otherwise seems this rule will rarely be used or doesn't give good enough benefit. BUT, when summoner is on opponent's side of the battlefield, I decided to limit to adjacency bc otherwise seems too good.

Current #3 states,

Once per game, for each opponent, immediately before own draw phase, may look at top 3 cards of own draw pile, select 1 card, place that card into hand, and place the other cards back on top of draw pile in any order.

Not sure on the power of this rule. It may prove too weak to truly help in that situation when your champs are bottomed, or you need to get to another Wall bc you'll lose otherwise. 3 feels like it might be weak. Similar to Owl Familiar which we all know sucks. But this rule isn't meant to be game-changing in the sense that it will help you win--it's meant just to be a fail-safe to help you not lose (granted winning is just other side of the coin of not losing, so kind of a semantic trick). The other thought is to go to top 4 cards. Please let me know if you have thoughts about power level, and why you think a certain way.

Current #5 states,

Once per turn on own turn, during attack phase, may increase 1 non-hit die result by 1.

The non-hit die result bit reflects the anti-profit intuition. I don't want a player to be able to profit from this rule other than to possibly just get 1 additional wound marker. I don't want Rukar to be able to transform a 4 to a 5 to get 2 additional wound markers, etc. But I do want to be able to change a 2 to a three to get a hit; I want to be able, when attacking Baldar/Thwarter/Rune of Shielding, when roll is something like a 5 and a 2, that you can transform the 2 into a 3 in order to get a hit; I want to be able to transform the 3 to a 4, when attacking a Tough unit. This kills two birds with one stone: variance of die result, and difficulty some summoners have with TOUGH units.

Current #7 states,

Events/abilities that have an affect on opponent walls only affect walls that have 9 starting health points. (Some events/abilities affect on opponent walls. See, Growden's Sunder Hammer, Oldin's Besiege the Walls. Some events/abilities affect own walls and opponent walls. See, Oldin's Stone Melding, Ulfric's Greater Stone Melding.)

This reflects the intuition that Sunder Hammer/BTW/etc. shouldn't effect Ice Golems, VWs, etc. This is an anti-variance rule that goes to the swinginess in power level of some summoners--that they're really good against some summoners but bad against others. The "affect on opponent walls" thing allows Ulfric to work with own Ice Golems that you control; Bragg to work with own IGs and Ice Walls; etc.
    Last edited by commandercool; 12-02-2016 at 03:08 PM.

I am going to call my rules the New Rules Variant.

"Hey man, want to play a game of Summoners?"
    "Sure thing. New rules?"
    "You bet."

(at least, this kind of interaction is my goal.)
    Last edited by commandercool; 12-02-2016 at 03:09 PM.

I've moved this to Custom Creations

This is likely not the best place for this suggestion (which just as likely has already been suggested in the past), but in regards to a new rule, at least:

The biggest downside in this game IMO is that luck of the dice is specifically and especially huge when attacking summoners. Disagree with that if you want, and I'm still thinking on CC's dice round-up rule #5 as a reasonable solution. So the tentative suggestion is, how would it work if both players swapped out a starting common for the 2nd summoner or alliance summoner? *prepares for harsh criticism*
    I would say only 1 or the other summoner ability could be used each turn, but that still may wreak havoc on the meta. At the least I think it would make for interesting games, plus you don't lose when 1 of your summoners takes a weird lucky strike. terrible idea?

Quote Originally Posted by commandercool View Post
    Once per turn on own turn, during attack phase, may increase 1 non-hit die result by 1.

The non-hit die result bit reflects the anti-profit intuition. I don't want a player to be able to profit from this rule other than to possibly just get 1 additional wound marker. I don't want Rukar to be able to transform a 4 to a 5 to get 2 additional wound markers, etc. But I do want to be able to change a 2 to a three to get a hit; I want to be able, when attacking Baldar/Thwarter/Rune of Shielding, when roll is something like a 5 and a 2, that you can transform the 2 into a 3 in order to get a hit; I want to be able to transform the 3 to a 4, when attacking a Tough unit. This kills two birds with one stone: variance of die result, and difficulty some summoners have with TOUGH units.
    Are you allowed to use this for after attacking effects too? Say, Harbinger, FP Warrior, etc.?
    Shard the Void Mutant in The Dance of Devils
    Nicholas the Honor Guard in Light's Corruption
    Talu the REAL TWIN in The Ice Wedding

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123