Thread: Summon on a vine wall?

Default Summon on a vine wall?

Sorry if this issue has been talked about before, but there's some argument among my friends and I. So let's break it down:

1. "A Unit cannot be summoned onto a space containing a Vine Wall, but they can be summoned adjacent just like any other Wall."
    My friend interprets this as speaking to the vine wall controller. The vine wall controller may not use the wall to summon directly onto the vine wall, but could summon on top of this vine wall if they have another wall adjacent. This would also mean that opponents could summon on top of this vine wall if their wall is adjacent.
    My interpretation is by saying "a unit," this means any unit in the game.

2. When you summon a unit, you "place" the unit adjacent to a wall. Vine walls say "Units can move or be placed onto a space containing a Vine
    Wall. When a Unit moves off of a space containing a Vine Wall, roll a die." So can an opponent's unit then be summoned onto the vine wall?

3. In the FAQ, it states that vine walls occupy a space and that units must be summoned into an empty space. Does the rule of #2 break this? Is the reason to state that vine walls occupy space so that they disrupt "clear straight line spaces?"

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bobacjj06 View Post
    Sorry if this issue has been talked about before, but there's some argument among my friends and I. So let's break it down:

1. "A Unit cannot be summoned onto a space containing a Vine Wall, but they can be summoned adjacent just like any other Wall."
    My friend interprets this as speaking to the vine wall controller. The vine wall controller may not use the wall to summon directly onto the vine wall, but could summon on top of this vine wall if they have another wall adjacent. This would also mean that opponents could summon on top of this vine wall if their wall is adjacent.
    My interpretation is by saying "a unit," this means any unit in the game.

2. When you summon a unit, you "place" the unit adjacent to a wall. Vine walls say "Units can move or be placed onto a space containing a Vine
    Wall. When a Unit moves off of a space containing a Vine Wall, roll a die." So can an opponent's unit then be summoned onto the vine wall?

3. In the FAQ, it states that vine walls occupy a space and that units must be summoned into an empty space. Does the rule of #2 break this? Is the reason to state that vine walls occupy space so that they disrupt "clear straight line spaces?"

Thanks!
    "Placed" in this case refer to abilities like the Scrapper's that says "place" specifically. Summoning a Unit on a Vine Wall is definitely illegal since the rules mentioned so.
    Winter is Coming...

How do we know specifically that it refers to only the abilities without saying that in any FAQ or rule book though? The card does say a unit can be placed on it, and well, this is a game of cards breaking the rules. There is an argument either way I believe.

Also, if you look at Melundak, can he use his ability to summon on a vine wall then?

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by bobacjj06 View Post
    How do we know specifically that it refers to only the abilities without saying that in any FAQ or rule book though? The card does say a unit can be placed on it, and well, this is a game of cards breaking the rules. There is an argument either way I believe.
    Summoning on top of a Vine Wall is illegal, even for Melundak or SE Hunters. Guaranteed.

It's true that you can place a unit onto one with certain abilities, but summoning is not one of those. Special abilities break rules - summoning is specifically forbidden.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Awesome. Thank you.