Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tark or Bauble?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tark or Bauble?

Is it just me that thinks Tark is much better than Bauble esp in Marek (w/Camouflage) and even in Scraven? I guess Bauble is probably better on offense.

I agree that Tark is better. He also goes well after Dinky makes your opponent choose to have less units to attack Tark with.

I like Tark. I've never understood Bauble. His ability should be that he can wait until after dice are rolled. Even then with only 3 health he is risky at 5 cost.

So they are both immune to 1 attack per turn (unless Tark is concealed from a Blade Master or something).
    Tark does it for free, but he has to choose the unit to be protected from before the opponent's turn starts.
    Bauble is essentially paying 1 magic to use his power each time and gets to choose which attack is avoided after it is declared.
    Bauble's ability also lasts a finite time without scholars.
    Since Tark just stops a unit from attacking him, that unit could still go on to attack someone else, or your opponent can at least spend his attack with a different unit.
    If Bauble stops an attack, that unit doesn't get a chance for another one, so your opponent has less effective attacks that turn.
    Bauble has one less health.

Another consideration would is what would happen if their ability is suddenly negated.
    Bauble would be prepared to whether all attacks except the largest.
    Tark would be prepared to whether all attacks except those from the targeted unit.
    Those are mostly equal so Tark wins with more health.

Lets look at the following situation.
    Bauble/Tark is standing somewhere where two enemies could move in to attack, but there is only room for one of them to do so.
    Tark would pick a unit to be concealed against, but the other would hit him.
    Bauble could choose to block whatever unit approaches.

That's all my thoughts for now.
    Last edited by vintageGamebro; 11-07-2016 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vintageGamebro View Post
    So they are both immune to 1 attack per turn (unless Tark is concealed from a Blade Master or something).
    Tark does it for free, but he has to choose the unit to be protected from before the opponent's turn starts.
    Bauble is essentially paying 1 magic to use his power each time and gets to choose which attack is avoided after it is declared.
    Bauble's ability also lasts a finite time without scholars.
    Since Tark just stops a unit from attacking him, that unit could still go on to attack someone else.
    If Bauble stops an attack, that unit doesn't get a chance for another one, so your opponent has less effective attacks that turn.
    Bauble has one less health.

Another consideration would is what would happen if their ability is suddenly negated.
    Bauble would be prepared to whether all attacks except the largest.
    Tark would be prepared to whether all attacks except those from the targeted unit.
    Those are mostly equal so Tark wins with more health.

Lets look at the following situation.
    Bauble/Tark is standing somewhere where two enemies could move in to attack, but there is only room for one of them to do so.
    Tark would pick a unit to be concealed against, but the other would hit him.
    Bauble could choose to block whatever unit approaches.

That's all my thoughts for now.
    Really great, helpful points, thanks.

The only disadvantage I can see to Tark is that he can be a little harder to protect. You block one unit and then that unit moves aside to allow a ranged unit to hit you (i say ranged bc i think unless you're forced to, you play Tark far enough away so that a melee unit can't get to him, forcing opponent to have to play ranged to get him, or not be able to get him at all). That said, you just play Camouflage on him in Marek to avoid this. That's the one real downside I see.

I really like the point that you make: if If Bauble stops an attack, that unit doesn't get a chance for another one, so your opponent has less effective attacks that turn. This seems like the main difference. But it does feel like a marginal difference and definitely not enough to play Bauble over Tark.

The only thing I can think is that Bauble is better on offense bc his ability can trigger on new summons (and on offense you're more likely to get yourself exposed to new summons). Also, I guess Bauble's ability triggers on Summoners, so he can be better in the very, very end game. But Tark is good in the end game, too--ability just can't trigger on Summoner. So idk.

I do think Bauble requires less set-up on the board, in terms of positioning--though he requires more setup in regards to needing EAs (not hard to setup in Marek at all, could get unlucky and have hard time setting up in Scraven)

I do also think that Bauble is a better choke-point holder--but I don't often find that to be a super valuable skill

I forgot about new summons.
    This makes Tark scared of your opponents walls unless they have no magic and no possible threatening 0-costers.
    Another point to Bauble, I guess.

Far Shot could also benefit Tark/Bauble, especially when combined with camouflage via Master Teacher.

Sand Blast could do a similar thing to Far Shot by knocking Melee units just out of range.
    Last edited by vintageGamebro; 11-07-2016 at 02:00 AM.

If you knew what summoner your opponent would be playing, would that affect your choice?

Tark has it's value, especially in Marek (good point about Carmo). However he's not so much my style, as I prefer offensive play in general.

Bauble - as stated before is super weak till you really commit on him. Bauble vs. Barsten vor example - Bauble needs to avoid 2 damage from one single attack or he's more expensive but without an ability. Even if you avoided 5 damage from 3 attacks thats still a 2/8r for 8 unit without any ability (and you need a scholar, plus he's very weak to negations). So to really make him work you need to see him as a heavy champ (8-9 cost) otherwise he will be underperforming and you could have taken scam or barston in the first place (or just Tark).

That's the biggest difference between the 2. Tark is cheep defensive, bauble is high cost but more flexible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast