Thread: New to the game

Default New to the game

Hello, we recently got Dead of Winter and done about 6 playthroughs.

I have some questions but most are answered in F.A.Q sections. One that I have is how much players are allowed to talk. Since the game is RP based and is semi-coop we assumed that you can say and must say anything around the table. From cards you are drawing (usually the outsider ones, everyone calls it out when draws it), to how I have a specific item so request it from me on your turn, or "I forgot to play a crisis card on my turn so I will play it now" etc.
    Another thing is when we are almost sure 100% no one is a betrayal everyone works collectively to what we should do to complete the main objective, for example we say to a player turn attract those zombies then kill those 4. Even the persons who cannot complete their secret objective, "give up" to help the rest (use a card from his secret to contribute to the crisis if necessary for the colony) and pretty much 2 turns before the end we know that the main will be complete even if we can't do our secret. Others may say "oh you went there to complete your secret? its ok we can handle the rest"
    So at times it feels like there are no secrets in a secret agenda game and, at a certain point, players might do what others are telling them, not he/she figure it out themselves.

On a side note, usually we are playing 5 player game. But it seems that we exceed the 90min indication mark for a playthrough by a lot. Are we that slow on our turns or it is typical with 5 players?
    Last edited by panosb; 09-05-2016 at 08:11 AM.

i am not an official, or an expert on the game, but i will try and answer your questions based on what we have seen here...

Quote Originally Posted by panosb View Post
    One that I have is how much players are allowed to talk. Since the game is RP based and is semi-coop we assumed that you can say and must say anything around the table. From cards you are drawing (usually the outsider ones, everyone calls it out when draws it), to how I have a specific item so request it from me on your turn, or "I forgot to play a crisis card on my turn so I will play it now" etc.
    you can say anything you want, IF you are telling the TRUTH is up to the other players at the table. the only steadfast rule with talk is that you cannot reveal what your Secret Objective is. if you want to tell everyone what you draw, that's your right, but remember, some Secret Objectives revolve around holding certain cards in your hand. last thing you want is to give them an idea as to what you might be holding. Also remember that Outsider cards are just like every other card, they ARE NOT Required to be played immediately. as for the "i forgot to play a crisis card..." thing, well, that's supposed to be a no-no. you forget, well, let's hope they can cover your "mistake." as someone who has played the Betrayer a few times, I can honestly say that I have "forgotten" to chip into the Crisis. if you allow people to "retro" filling the Crisis, you may get caught when you are the bad guy

Another thing is when we are almost sure 100% no one is a betrayal everyone works collectively to what we should do to complete the main objective, for example we say to a player turn attract those zombies then kill those 4. Even the persons who cannot complete their secret objective, "give up" to help the rest (use a card from his secret to contribute to the crisis if necessary for the colony) and pretty much 2 turns before the end we know that the main will be complete even if we can't do our secret. Others may say "oh you went there to complete your secret? its ok we can handle the rest"?
    that's fine, it is a cooperative game. if you wish to sacrifice yourself for the sake of the colony, that's cool. Great Guy. but remember, you can never be 100% certain there are no Betrayers in your midst. Caution and Paranoia are great lovers in this game

So at times it feels like there are no secrets in a secret agenda game and, at a certain point, players might do what others are telling them, not he/she figure it out themselves.?
    Even a Betrayer may want to do what others tell him. throw everyone off and keep the suspicion off himself...

On a side note, usually we are playing 5 player game. But it seems that we exceed the 90min indication mark for a playthrough by a lot. Are we that slow on our turns or it is typical with 5 players?
    we have been able to play a 3 and 4 player game easily within the 90 minutes, and in the tournaments I run at the store, we have 4 and 5 player games, with 60 minutes to complete, so the timer really forces people to play faster. generally, the more familiar you get with the game, the faster games will go. just start thinking ahead of time on what you want to do. think like chess, have multiple actions prepared.

Good Luck with your games, and watch out you don't get bit by an angry player
    ...the rich