Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My son... and so it begins...

Amazing story JYoder!
    I bet he will love the MV (not to mention Dinky).
    Hope I can play some inspiring SW when I have kids.

My daughter (8 years old) doesn't like SW. She likes "Talisman".
    Game Center ID: Nadhir 99

My 11-year-old daughter has been working through the new second summoners with me. She beat my Brath by the Book with her Little Meda's Tea Party, but I've been winning most sessions, because she won't let me handicap her anymore. (I used to take a four-card hand.) Next up: She'll be taking Scraven's base deck (she's played him before) against my Saturos (whom neither of us has tried).
    Light cleaveth unto Light, and Filth to Filth; with pride one contemneth another.

Quote Originally Posted by Carthoris View Post
    My 11-year-old daughter has been working through the new second summoners with me. She beat my Brath by the Book with her Little Meda's Tea Party, but I've been winning most sessions, because she won't let me handicap her anymore. (I used to take a four-card hand.) Next up: She'll be taking Scraven's base deck (she's played him before) against my Saturos (whom neither of us has tried).
    It sounds like your daughter has a good grasp of the game. If you are playing Saturos, just a fair warning

IMO, he's one of the most unfun summoners to play against if you are new. He plays like a shark. He hits very quick and ends the game very quick typically, either killing you with an overwhelming tide of drakes and commons and a champ, or he just putters out and loses. Against new players, more often the former than the ladder. If your daughter is experienced, it will be a fun MU, one I particularly enjoy because neither summoner really counters the other, making for a very balanced match IMO. if she isn't, it's going to be uber-frustrating. I speak from sad experience. I like assassination, and while I don't play SW much anymore, I play Saturos a lot now when I do, and that's just how he is.
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Srzednicki View Post
    My daughter (8 years old) doesn't like SW. She likes "Talisman".
    :l :L :<
    "Your existence is revoked. Scatter as chaff in the Wind; in the north and endless ice. I'll be your chauffeur."

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    If you are playing Saturos, just a fair warning ...
    IMO, he's one of the most unfun summoners to play against if you are new.
    Yeah, she's been playing SW for three years. I beat her Little Meda deck with Scraven in rapid games; that's why she's playing him now! I'm looking forward to the Scraven-Saturos MU.
    Light cleaveth unto Light, and Filth to Filth; with pride one contemneth another.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

FYI - if anyone is looking for a good game to play with their <10 year old to teach strategy, check out Laser Khet 2.0. Picked this up at Barnes and Noble. Imagine Chess with Egyptian themed pieces that all have mirrors on them, and one of them shoots a laser that you have to bounce off of all the mirrors to hit your opponent's king. It's awesome, and my son just loves firing the laser. He legit beat me yesterday, too.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

I showed Summoner Wars to my nephew way back when he was 7 or 8 - he loved it (and Grognack/Krung) too. He played Heroscape around the same time. Now he likes all kind of games.

I've taught a lot of kids from 7-12 how to play SW when I worked for an after school program. Grognack is a frequent favorite. Some of the girls really liked Selundar and Abua Shi. The pink and purple sleeves I had on the SE probably helped...

Sneeks is really hard for kids around 7. Their abilities are complicated and the events look too similar at first glance (with the same art and the word "Goblin" on each of them- people who are less proficient in English have similar issues). Oldin, Sera, and Ret-talus are totally doable. I would often play Sera against the kids to help give them a fighting chance.
    Last edited by Jexik; 09-09-2016 at 01:03 PM.

Yeah, he still asks about Sneeks, but I've said it has to wait.

In addition to Grognack and Elien, I've also introduced Oldin, and the reinforcements for all 3. (But not those from 2nd summoners.) So now the deck building aspect is quite a thing as we talk about what makes good or bad units and/or good and bad builds.

Ballista was quite the unit for him -- no attack if moved, 5 distance, and variable attack power. Really had to walk him through its potential, but once he used one (with Heroic Feat) to destroy my setup wall from his back row (and my 2 other walls were in the bottom 4 cards, so he crushed me) he was quite taken with them.

In another game, I had an insane turn with a TO Fighter on turn 3 -- 8 furies in a row with all hits meant 2 dead GD commons and a dead Oldin. It was so funny we both fell off our chairs laughing, amid his demands for a rematch.

Just recently, I've introduced Abua -- he lit up at the Lioneer ability, though Lioness gives him pause as it counter-intuitively moves outside the movement phase. Next will be Abua's reinforcements, then Vlox and Sera, then later their reinforcements. Six factions with deck building will keep us occupied for a long time if his interest remains.

As a gamer with years of history in SW, and now as a father engaging my son's interests, it's quite the balancing act to let him make his own sub-optimal choices as I tone down the coaching to let him experiment. In response, at times I have to make sub-optimal moves to keep it interesting, but nothing too extreme as I want him to learn tactics from my experience. We definitely allow "take backs." As time goes on, I'm interested to see if his excitement mainly stems from seeing new cards fairly often, or from actually delving into the game's nuances.

Quote Originally Posted by Carthoris View Post
    Yeah, she's been playing SW for three years. I beat her Little Meda deck with Scraven in rapid games; that's why she's playing him now! I'm looking forward to the Scraven-Saturos MU.
    So, I did crush her with Saturos. Then we swapped decks, and she beat me even faster!

Next up: She'll be staying with Saturos while I try a Marek build with some of the new Sand Goblins.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12