Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My son... and so it begins...

Cool My son... and so it begins...

After playing the new summoners with my friend, I had the box out and my son (7) asked about it. After telling him it's one of my favorite games, he wanted to try it. I was busy, but I (semi-reluctantly) pulled Elien and Grognack out of my gaming closest (they, Oldin, and Tacullu have no place in my box) and quickly built their base decks, putting the 2 summoners on top of each deck. I said, "If you want to play, this is where we'll start -- each player has a deck with a main summoner, who are these 2 guys. A summoner is like a wizard leader. If you destroy the other summoner, you win. For these 2, it's the Phoenix Elves vs the Tundra Orcs -- or the red team vs the blue team -- where one uses fire, and the other uses ice."

He eagerly scanned Elien and Grognack.

I quickly explained the summon, attack, and health stats on a couple of cards. He didn't get the summon stat until I said it was like gold to buy guys during the game. (Thank you Star Realms.) I took out the event cards and set them aside, saying I'd explain those later, but they are magic spells each summoner can play during the game.

He nodded slowly, very intrigued.

I put them all in one stack, with only 1 copy of each common. I set PE atop TO, listed by summoner, commons, then champs, in a purposeful order. I had to keep working, but said go check out these 14 units, who are the guys we'll play with. Each have their own special abilities, which I'll also explain later.

He took the pile and walked out. While working, I could hear him muttering. After a while, I secretly peeked on him. He was sitting on the floor, studying a card, before almost reverently setting it down and looking at the next. He was on the TO commons. When he came to Ragnor he sat up a bit straighter. After a minute, he flipped to Blagog and said out loud, "Whoa!" -- no doubt at the 5 attack value. A minute later, he flipped to Krung, and I kid you not, his body jolted as he gasped and his eyes popped. He studied it, his mouth open. As he gathered the cards, I stuck back to my office.

Thirty seconds later he stood before me and asked, "Can we play now!?"

The next day we sat across the board and I slowly explained the rules, events, and unit abilities. He definitely wanted the "Ice Guys." We played with open hands as I basically played against myself. He "won" that game, which included a glorious 5/5 roll from Blagog and 3-4 Furies from one fighter. During the 2nd game, I told him how I could kill my own guy so I'd have less units than him next turn to play MD. I did so, but he didn't like it, for which I'm glad. So I'll no longer attack my guys as he isn't going to -- honor comes before tactics, which I'll enjoy. This time I "won".

The 6 steps are different for him as he gets things out of order, but it's coming. Tactics are too much, but I'm walking him through options while encouraging certain ones, yet offering risky plays if he'd rather try them. It's fun to see the cogs turning in his brain as light bulbs go off. At one point, he said of the PE Warrior, "These guys you have that can attack and run away... THEY ARE SO ANNOYING!!!" I cannot tell you how hard I laughed.

During our 3rd game, now with him as PE, he said, "Dad, you know what I love about this game? You have to either keep cards to play them, or make them magic for different guys later. You want good cards, but not too many at once. And you don't know when you'll get them." I smiled so big -- he was getting it.

It's a blast to watch his delight that mirrored mine years ago as I'm sure I gaped at Krung, marveled at mechanics, and had hints of disdain begin to kindle against Elien. If he continues to love it, his mind will explode at the different summoners, and especially deck-building.

Of course, that's all a long ways off. And though I'm not really enjoying Elien vs Grognack, or playing both sides, seeing it through his eyes with no self-kills or uber-turtling makes it magical all over again. The game's core is so solid and good that I desperately wish a couple of it's shortcomings could be fixed with an elegant rule or two. Still, I've more than gotten my money's worth out of the game, and here's hoping I get it a second time around.

So now, 2-3 times daily for the past few days, I get to hear, "Can we play Summoner Wars!?" Music to my ears.

Thanks for sharing this is awesome.
    Webmaster
    1 AV, 3 Life, 2 Summon Cost
    Instead of posting with this Webmaster during your Posting Phase, you may add 1 post count to a member that is adjacent to this Webmaster. That unit may write up to to two posts, and if that unit is a Doug, add 1 to its Avatar Value for the remainder of the turn. POST cannot be used on another Webmaster.

Massive thumbs up! Such a good feeling teaching this beautiful game - props to you and your son!
    "Shadow hide thee thief"

Prelate was Retch the Grotesque Mutant in "The Dance of Devils"
    Prelate was Archangel the Furious in "Light's Corruption"

These are the Vassal dice.
    They haunt your footsteps in the Vassal forums.
    They lurk in the shadows of every Vassal board.
    They hang like the sword of Damocles over the construction of every Vassal deck.
    They wait.
    They watch.
    They win.

Awesome. I love that your kid dislikes killing his own units. I probably lose more games than I should by refusing to do that in some instances (like when I'm playing Vanguards, damnit. Filth, SO and FK don't care, they evil).
    Shard the Void Mutant in The Dance of Devils
    Nicholas the Honor Guard in Light's Corruption
    Talu the REAL TWIN in The Ice Wedding

Quote Originally Posted by JYoder View Post
    After playing the new summoners with my friend, I had the box out and my son (7) asked about it. After telling him it's one of my favorite games, he wanted to try it. I was busy, but I (semi-reluctantly) pulled Elien and Grognack out of my gaming closest (they, Oldin, and Tacullu have no place in my box) and quickly built their base decks, putting the 2 summoners on top of each deck. I said, "If you want to play, this is where we'll start -- each player has a deck with a main summoner, who are these 2 guys. A summoner is like a wizard leader. If you destroy the other summoner, you win. For these 2, it's the Phoenix Elves vs the Tundra Orcs -- or the red team vs the blue team -- where one uses fire, and the other uses ice."

He eagerly scanned Elien and Grognack.

I quickly explained the summon, attack, and health stats on a couple of cards. He didn't get the summon stat until I said it was like gold to buy guys during the game. (Thank you Star Realms.) I took out the event cards and set them aside, saying I'd explain those later, but they are magic spells each summoner can play during the game.

He nodded slowly, very intrigued.

I put them all in one stack, with only 1 copy of each common. I set PE atop TO, listed by summoner, commons, then champs, in a purposeful order. I had to keep working, but said go check out these 14 units, who are the guys we'll play with. Each have their own special abilities, which I'll also explain later.

He took the pile and walked out. While working, I could hear him muttering. After a while, I secretly peeked on him. He was sitting on the floor, studying a card, before almost reverently setting it down and looking at the next. He was on the TO commons. When he came to Ragnor he sat up a bit straighter. After a minute, he flipped to Blagog and said out loud, "Whoa!" -- no doubt at the 5 attack value. A minute later, he flipped to Krung, and I kid you not, his body jolted as he gasped and his eyes popped. He studied it, his mouth open. As he gathered the cards, I stuck back to my office.

Thirty seconds later he stood before me and asked, "Can we play now!?"

The next day we sat across the board and I slowly explained the rules, events, and unit abilities. He definitely wanted the "Ice Guys." We played with open hands as I basically played against myself. He "won" that game, which included a glorious 5/5 roll from Blagog and 3-4 Furies from one fighter. During the 2nd game, I told him how I could kill my own guy so I'd have less units than him next turn to play MD. I did so, but he didn't like it, for which I'm glad. So I'll no longer attack my guys as he isn't going to -- honor comes before tactics, which I'll enjoy. This time I "won".

The 6 steps are different for him as he gets things out of order, but it's coming. Tactics are too much, but I'm walking him through options while encouraging certain ones, yet offering risky plays if he'd rather try them. It's fun to see the cogs turning in his brain as light bulbs go off. At one point, he said of the PE Warrior, "These guys you have that can attack and run away... THEY ARE SO ANNOYING!!!" I cannot tell you how hard I laughed.

During our 3rd game, now with him as PE, he said, "Dad, you know what I love about this game? You have to either keep cards to play them, or make them magic for different guys later. You want good cards, but not too many at once. And you don't know when you'll get them." I smiled so big -- he was getting it.

It's a blast to watch his delight that mirrored mine years ago as I'm sure I gaped at Krung, marveled at mechanics, and had hints of disdain begin to kindle against Elien. If he continues to love it, his mind will explode at the different summoners, and especially deck-building.

Of course, that's all a long ways off. And though I'm not really enjoying Elien vs Grognack, or playing both sides, seeing it through his eyes with no self-kills or uber-turtling makes it magical all over again. The game's core is so solid and good that I desperately wish a couple of it's shortcomings could be fixed with an elegant rule or two. Still, I've more than gotten my money's worth out of the game, and here's hoping I get it a second time around.

So now, 2-3 times daily for the past few days, I get to hear, "Can we play Summoner Wars!?" Music to my ears.
    Just beautiful!

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

This is fantastic! I've played against my son - Father Benjamin - also 7, a couple of times as well. He'll also pick up my phone from time to time and play against the computer on the app. I usually give him Tundra Orcs stacked with Smashers and Crushers or something, and then I play with the deck he thinks looks the coolest (was Immortal Elien last time). He wants to play with the Vargath Vanguards for obvious reasons, and we're working up to that.

Glad the two of you are enjoying it!
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Made the mistake of telling him one of my favorite summoners is a goblin named Sneeks. After he asked about his ability, he got excited at the idea of zipping around, and now asks when he can play Sneeks. Um... yeah... let's keep working on these burns and freezes, shall we?

This is one of the best posts I've ever read on this forum. I love it.
    Watch the SummoNerds youtube channel for lots of great games of Summoner Wars as well as interesting Deckbuilds, Challenges from the community, Guest Appearances from other players, and occasionally previews of upcoming cards! And to find out what we're doing next check out the SummoNerds Channel Thread!

After reading this post, I can't wait for my son to be seven years old. Six to go...

Super cool, JYoder! Can't wait for Dara to start playing with us as well. We'll see if the use of catchy songs is an effective gateway to actually playing. At least she'll know that Zur Lak is really great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast