Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tried 4 of 8 New Summoners

Default Tried 4 of 8 New Summoners

Finally got to play the new summoners last night, both as and against 4 of the new factions with only base decks. Impressions...

Saturos: At first I thought he was the scariest, but he was de-throned. (See below.) Still, he's a force to reckon with. Can really rock with momentum (on enemy's side) but not always consistent. (At times he was impaired by all these aggressive summoners.) Biggest play for him was a Greater Blood Summon that let his common kill a common (made new common) that common killed another common (made new common) and that common killed yet another common (made new common). So with 3 attacks, he wiped out 3 enemies and got 3 free units (minus 2 magic played for event) each with 2 health. Honestly, that seemed a bit much to us. It won't always happen, but against weak commons and/or Drakes in your hand, it's viable. Not sure what I think of that yet.

Scraven: Fun summoner that seems on par with Krusk/Marek tricks. Big one to watch for is Strong Wind. That will mess you up if not mindful of it during end game. All the units are great. Biggest play was tie between 3 Hunters swinging with 4 dice each, and another game when Scraven appeared done for with only 1 life. I stared at my cards, unable to find an escape, when I remembered you can move through the Wraith. Summoned him, and Scraven walked back through him for the perfect block, saving his life and enabling him to win a few turns later. (Funnest play was Dinky hitting the board and rolling 8 dice on a summoner.) All of his deck works so well together. It feels like deck building options will be pretty crazy with him.

Malentar: Goats!! We finally have goats!! Down with the Vanguard bullies and Cupid!! Another fun summoner and units that lends well to the MV theme, but now we have a discard mechanic. I don't have my mind wrapped around all the options yet, but I'm liking it. Fun to delve into and experiment as it's something not really seen before. You can feel a bit low on magic, but don't always need it, so also looking forward to deck building with him. Guards are cool. Biggest play should have been pushing newly summoned Aspirant and Commander far ahead on 2 life Saturos, enabling the Aspirant to get 4 dice, but he only hit on 1, which lost me the game. Ah well, that's part of SW. Looking forward to bigger plays/combos I can see, but haven't had chance to try them.

Natazga: Whoa. We thought she was pretty good while my friend played her, but then I played her (while reading her cards more carefully) and we found she's REALLY good. At first, I was eager to use Skull Taker to get cheap champs, but then you find not only is it risky... but you don't need 'em! With Erosion, cheap commons that hit hard popping up behind enemy lines, followed by Fury of the Fen and Quagmire -- you learn these are serious swamps. When we determined all her stuff, she never lost, as she entangled, bound, and messed up everything and everyone, disrupting plans and choking Summoners game after game. We were kind of stunned, as we'd stop to mentally rewind the enemy's options, but saw there wasn't much he could have done different. Quagmire is amazing. Pay 2 magic with them and your enemy will cry. Biggest play for her? Simply that she destroyed the enemy in her last 4 games via events and cheap commons in about 4-6 turns. It was pretty crazy.

All in all, the evening was a ton of fun, yet a couple of these are a different breed of SW. Scraven and Malentar feel on par with recent factions, yet introduce their own stuff. It'll be fun to try different options and experiment with all their tools and deck building. However, Saturos, and especially Natazga, are different creatures. On the one hand, I love the pressing/attacking options to crush turtlers... on the other hand, you don't need much finesse as you power forward and undo the enemy's options with cards that feel a little like Sam's Abolish. But even if the consensus (months down the road) is that one or both are a bit too good and make it a bit too easy to steamroll, then maybe it's OK as there are plenty of factions that excel from sitting on their haunches. Still, it felt odd that we played so many games, simply because one side did their thing and BAM, dead summoner. "Um... OK... let's reset and try that again, shall we?"
    Only send a friendly invite (JYoder77) if you don't play PE, TO, GD, BD, no Rallul units outside of Rallul, and no Etch or Rune Mages (even in Rallul).
    My Custom Faction Creator tool. Contains demo images to show what you can create.
    Why Sunderved cries himself to sleep at night.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by JYoder View Post
    All in all, the evening was a ton of fun, yet a couple of these are a different breed of SW. Scraven and Malentar feel on par with recent factions, yet introduce their own stuff. It'll be fun to try different options and experiment with all their tools and deck building. However, Saturos, and especially Natazga, are different creatures. On the one hand, I love the pressing/attacking options to crush turtlers... on the other hand, you don't need much finesse as you power forward and undo the enemy's options with cards that feel a little like Sam's Abolish. But even if the consensus (months down the road) is that one or both are a bit too good and make it a bit too easy to steamroll, then maybe it's OK as there are plenty of factions that excel from sitting on their haunches. Still, it felt odd that we played so many games, simply because one side did their thing and BAM, dead summoner. "Um... OK... let's reset and try that again, shall we?"
    Glad you enjoyed the decks! You gotta play some Farrah though....

Concerning Saturos and Natazga - I felt the same way with them. They are a bit different in the power they have to be aggressive. I think Malenatar falls into that as well once you start really grasping how to move the horde of goats in together and overwhelm. I felt like Summoner Wars needed some of this, so where I could I did my best to keep that feeling in these decks.

Can you believe Quagmire used to be free? That was one of the cards I fought the most with, trying to figure out how to balance it out. It's such a huge game changer, but when I started making it cost more Natazga players were running out of magic because they were spending attacks with Skull Takers and hitting walls. She has a really cool magic economy I think.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

I foudn that the best play to avoid quagmire is to not attack the vine walls, just block them, block everything. Step on them so fury of the fen doesnt ruin you. You need to put Natazga on her feet, and take the initiative, if you let Natazga have the initiative, Natazga will win.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    I foudn that the best play to avoid quagmire is to not attack the vine walls, just block them, block everything.
    Doable in some instances, but if early Erosion hits and you get 3 VWs out, blocking is easier said than done. However...

Step on them so fury of the fen doesnt ruin you.
    I now see we completely missed the "unoccupied" word on that event. Wow. That'll make a huge difference. Kind of relieved as now she won't be nearly so scary. Noob mistake.
    Only send a friendly invite (JYoder77) if you don't play PE, TO, GD, BD, no Rallul units outside of Rallul, and no Etch or Rune Mages (even in Rallul).
    My Custom Faction Creator tool. Contains demo images to show what you can create.

how does your wall have 3 open flanks to create 3 vw?

I wasn't saying it had to be the same wall.

how does your wall have 3 open flanks to create 3 vw?
    Even so, your statement confuses me. You can attack 1 wall 3 times and put a VW under the attacker (if not ranged) if you wanted.

Yes, but the point is you need to allow natazga to attack a wall from the 3 flanks, that was my point.

I now see we completely missed the "unoccupied" word on that event. Wow. That'll make a huge difference. Kind of relieved as now she won't be nearly so scary. Noob mistake.
    Did the same mistake the first a couple of games Also, once your opponents learn how to deal with her tricks it won't be that easy any more.

Can you believe Quagmire used to be free? That was one of the cards I fought the most with, trying to figure out how to balance it out. It's such a huge game changer, but when I started making it cost more Natazga players were running out of magic because they were spending attacks with Skull Takers and hitting walls. She has a really cool magic economy I think.
    Free Quagmire would be a op/broken event imo. Agree on magic economy.
    Last edited by adalbert; 08-19-2016 at 03:52 PM.

if you let Natazga have the initiative, Natazga will win.
    I've been playing Natazga and loving her. My first customized deck (Natazga Loves Monsters) swapped in Blarg for Sklursh and Swamp Beasts for non-starting Zealots. I went first and attacked my opponent's (Brath) starting wall instead of units, getting a vine wall on her side of the board right off. By the end of my second turn, thanks to Erosion, I had three vine walls on her side. (She had played a wall too, and why wouldn't she? Um, why?)

I got to Battle Champion summon Zur Lak for two magic plus a double-loaded Skull Taker. Swamp Beasts summoned from vine walls on the opponent's side attacked Brath, were killed, and became more vine walls. The game ended with Fury of the Fen, as the vine walls themselves took out a summoner!
    Light cleaveth unto Light, and Filth to Filth; with pride one contemneth another.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast