Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Second Summoners Battle report!

Default New Second Summoners Battle report!

So, my Second Summoners arrived in the post yesterday!
    (Props to PHG for giving me so many corrected cards and dividers! (and also my 3rd/4th copies of the bonus mercs - I can now build Sairook into every deck at once! )
    I immediately called my two young Summoner friends and we spent about 5 hours playing a mixture of the new decks versus each other and Versus older decks - the results were stellar! (Please note these lads still make some N00bish errors - but on the whole their tactical awareness is increasing significantly, as I try to help and make them look for the best options) Here are some highlights.
    Brath: I put her first because she is my play-test baby! In the two games I played with her I was able to accelerate her magic pile building to ridiculous levels using Deep Magic and in both cases Noa hit the board by turn two! Gem Golems with extra diagonal attacks followed close behind (or before) him and, in partnership with the Gem Archers, made the games short and violent. The lads loved the combos with Gem Golems, and the art - especially on the Stone Spire! (I personally love the fact that the Golem Noa is sitting on is so big it is falling off of the card )
    Little Meda: Was one of the Summoners who perished in this fashion (the other was Hogar) yet the lad who played Meda did some great aggressive plays and mutant swaps - greatly enjoying the art, feel of her deck, and frankly disturbing mutations! (He said "That little girl creeped me out - then I lifted up the card and saw Nanny underneath....!")
    Natazga: She was eagerly awaited by one of the lads - and did not disappoint! He got Battle Champion to trigger the very first game! (not through his opponent being an idiot, just through good positioning) and in the end promoted him to Sklursh who Teleported behind Farrah to lay the swamp smack-down! (another notable moment was when he destroyed his OWN vine wall just so he could trigger Quagmire!) In the end Fury of the Fen (they loved that card!) surrounded Farrah and she became a trophy for a Skull Taker to carry home in triumph!
    Farrah: Although she lost her match, the lads loved the trickery of her deck, her event set/ability/units and the great deck-building potential both with her and the factions she can give her units to. She also one-shotted Sklursh with Band Together and a Disguised Lurker - hitting 5/5! A very satisfying moment for everyone
    Scraven: Man, we loved this guy! Each game was electric! Dinky never hit the board - the games were too crowded and speedy for that! Sand Drake did though - massively boosted and ripping through units. Versus Malenatar Sand Wyrm could have ended the game pronto - but due to a n00b error by one of the lads the opportunity was missed and Malenatar took the win. Scraven versus Saturos was a sight to behold! Both Summoners charged each other inflicting (via Bloodthirsty and Blood-Summon) grievous wounds (both Summoners were on two health by turn three!) However, Wraiths + Strong Wind + Flinger - and Saturos' blockers were unable to save him! Shiva was a different story - read of her later (also, more on Saturos to follow)
    Malenatar: Was greatly admired for his ability and crazy common units (no champions were summoned in his game versus Scraven!) Guards were outstanding - one of them (through Unify) took a whopping FIVE hit head chomper from Sand Drake who was swinging at Malenatar - saving his furry behind! (the lad playing had completely overlooked the tactic! Heh heh) Oh, and they LOVED the artwork on Mal's cards!
    Shiva: Ah! Benders, Benders - how I love thee! The lads didn't love me very much playing them though! Versus Scraven I actually (shock!) went on the OFFENSIVE - using Puppets to cover aggro Shiva, Sirens to move Scravens' blockers, Hinder to negate all his Hunters and SLAUGHTER them (the lad said in jest "I hate the Benders - that card is chant of negation combined with magic drain!") using Shifters to steal his Wraiths and then Wither (the Wraiths turning on their previous master and murdering him) It. Was. Beautiful. And the best thing? I had to work for it aggressively, both sides were harvesting magic off of the other, and the game was tight - anything could have changed very rapidly - it felt FAIR while also UNFAIR. Shiva is a Bender - but is certainly no Tacullu.
    Saturos: Last, but by no means least! Scary, scary, scary. That was the consensus from all of us. Saturos is SCARY. He ripped into enemy Summoners like a shark into a bait-ball. The Warden perished at his hand after a bloody battle - Saturos ending on one health, yet pressing the attack constantly (Relentless Advance on one flank and horrifying Uriel on the other was the final nail in the coffin) Similarly, The Demagogue put up a tremendous fight (again, knocking Saturos to one health) with some fantastic Mutant plays and Shield of the Hopeful moments - yet Vanquish was his undoing (it really takes the edge off Heretics Rebuke) and Greater Blood Summon + Blood Drake + Zhant was his end. Zhant was the MVP in these matches - churning out extra attacks from all the excellent commons - both in the fight and from behind walls.
    Our Conclusion? These new decks raise Summoner wars to a new level. Aggression, common play, glorious tactics, fun abilities - all add up to a win. The n00bs love them, I love them. Everyone is happy!
    Now, anyone want to play versus me? I'll be using Shiva..............hello? Anyone?.........Anyone?..........
    Last edited by Prelate; 08-18-2016 at 06:09 AM.
    "Shadow hide thee thief"

Prelate was Retch the Grotesque Mutant in "The Dance of Devils"
    Prelate was Archangel the Furious in "Light's Corruption"

These are the Vassal dice.
    They haunt your footsteps in the Vassal forums.
    They lurk in the shadows of every Vassal board.
    They hang like the sword of Damocles over the construction of every Vassal deck.
    They wait.
    They watch.
    They win.

Great reports, Prelate!

I was able to get in two matches last night. The new summoners are such a blast.

Nat d Scraven. She is so much fun, though this match was skewed with double hits on the wall on the opening move. It locked down his wall adjacent units and left him with no summoning spots. Not a fair representation but her deck is such a fresh twist on the SO.

Scraven d Brath. I was able to get Dinky summoned fairly early putting Brath on the run where she encountered Cyrus to trap her with little room to move. Using the event ability cards I was able to ping pong Brath between the two. Was funny having both on the board as summoning commons was raising one champ's attack and lowering the other.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Glad you guys are enjoying them!
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by Prelate View Post
    Shiva: Ah! Benders, Benders - how I love thee! The lads didn't love me very much playing them though!
    That just means you know what you are doing.

I love the possibility of drawing an opponent into a three puppet blender. Good times. I'll gladly play you with Shive even if only to watch the awesome moves being pulled off. Shive is the bender summoner I have been waiting for all my life.

I think Farrah may be one of my favorite summoners so far, especially theme wise. Here's a person who unites those disgruntled folks in the different factions and brings them together for a purpose that may be sinister (I'm not sure what she wants exactly), but I would support her by virtue of her inclusivity alone. And I like the fact that she's a warrior who actually dresses like a warrior (and isn't made to look conventionally attractive, the art on these new cards is amazing). Scraven is also awesome, so much weirdness that can be pulled off. And Natazga's fury of the fen... Magnificent.

All games with these summoners feel like stories on their own, which is exactly what I like about these games.
    Shard the Void Mutant in The Dance of Devils
    Nicholas the Honor Guard in Light's Corruption
    Talu the REAL TWIN in The Ice Wedding

Quote Originally Posted by Syurtpiutha View Post
    That just means you know what you are doing.

I love the possibility of drawing an opponent into a three puppet blender. Good times. I'll gladly play you with Shive even if only to watch the awesome moves being pulled off. Shive is the bender summoner I have been waiting for all my life.

I think Farrah may be one of my favorite summoners so far, especially theme wise. Here's a person who unites those disgruntled folks in the different factions and brings them together for a purpose that may be sinister (I'm not sure what she wants exactly), but I would support her by virtue of her inclusivity alone. And I like the fact that she's a warrior who actually dresses like a warrior (and isn't made to look conventionally attractive, the art on these new cards is amazing). Scraven is also awesome, so much weirdness that can be pulled off. And Natazga's fury of the fen... Magnificent.

All games with these summoners feel like stories on their own, which is exactly what I like about these games.
    Thanks man
    The Puppet blender was definitely present in the game. Puppets are so versatile and cheap - yet often appear to be helpless in your opponents' eyes (a very foolish assumption!)
    "Shadow hide thee thief"

They hang like the sword of Damocles over the construction of every Vassal deck.
    They wait.
    They watch.
    They win.

BTBAM is offline Loves the cheese. And vlogging! Geek Swagger extraordinaire. Record holder for most User titles.

Love reading this stuff, and love that they are getting in the wild.
    A Doug's Guide To Summoner Wars - Fan Podcast

LATEST PODCASTS 01-17-2014
    Episode 16 - Phoenix Elves - Prince Elien Base Deck
    http://traffic.libsyn.com/adougsguide/ADGEp16.mp3
    Episode 17 - Phoenix Elves - Queen Maldaria Base Deck
    http://traffic.libsyn.com/adougsguide/ADGEp17.mp3
    Episode 18 - Phoenix Elves - Reinforcements & Deck Building
    http://traffic.libsyn.com/adougsguide/ADGEp18.mp3
    Subscribe on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...rs/id595149788

Yet another evening with the lads playing the new Second Summoners!
    Important lessons were learned....
    Little Meda: One of the lads demonstrated her versatility by going on a violent counter-offensive against Saturos straight off the bat. Drool mutant scored a perfect 4/4 hits on Saturos and put him in a horrible predicament, namely, if he killed Drool himself the resulting Sloppy movement would slide him into no-man's land.....and certain death. So he had to retreat and juggle Shadow Warriors to cover himself and kill Drool. Little Meda did not care - Daddy was angry! Daddy Didn't Like the Shadow Warrior, and Little Meda shot through the gap - 3/3.
    Lesson learned: Little Meda isn't a weak little girl who has to hide in the back like the Demagogue. (Oh, and drool mutant is a real pain for a Summoner to deal with!)
    Farrah: Saturos came back for revenge - but unfortunately the lad playing him had clearly forgotten the power of a Summoner who Unifies others! After some mild skirmishing in the centre Saturos baited Farrah to come out and fight. Farrah obliged - summoning a host of different faction commons and playing Band Together. Saturos took 13 dice to the face........The lad won't be making that mistake twice....
    Lesson learned: Farrah will steal your friends and then beat you to death with them if you aren't careful......be careful.
    Scraven: No, this is not the legend of dinky......let me tell you about Cyrus and the Wraiths....
    Brath was the opponent, and played with Dinky constantly in mind. On the third turn a surprise Magic Strike killed one of Scraven's blockers (he was on the offensive) and a Gem Golem + Gem Archer + Call knocked him violently to one health! Forced to retreat, Scraven was constantly on the watch for a Will of The Mother Gem turn. He countered with Cyrus, several hit-and-run Flingers and a flanking Wraith. Soon Cyrus was chucking 7 dice at Brath's units and walls, while a swarm of Wraiths emerged like ghosts from the sands - tanking hits, crowding walls and boosting Cyrus to greater efforts. Despite Drek putting up a masterly defense - Brath was overwhelmed. It was all over but the shouting when Dinky (the last but one card) hit the board (with only 2av ) Cyrus snorted and said "Where have YOU been? The party's over!"
    Lesson learned: Dinky is not OP when he is bottom decked. Cyrus and Wraiths are CLEARLY OP. Cyrus can get more dice than Dinky and Wraiths are impossible to kill.
    Or maybe the lesson is that everything in these decks is OP in the right situation - and this game is amazing fun!
    Last edited by Prelate; 08-22-2016 at 07:57 PM.
    "Shadow hide thee thief"

They wait.
    They watch.
    They win.

Yet another evening with the lads playing the new Second Summoners!
    Important lessons were learned....
    Little Meda: One of the lads demonstrated her versatility by going on a violent counter-offensive against Saturos straight off the bat. Drool mutant scored a perfect 4/4 hits on Saturos and put him in a horrible predicament, namely, if he killed Drool himself the resulting Sloppy movement would slide him into no-man's land.....and certain death. So he had to retreat and juggle Shadow Warriors to cover himself and kill Drool. Little Meda did not care - Daddy was angry! Daddy Didn't Like the Shadow Warrior, and Little Meda shot through the gap - 3/3.
    Lesson learned: Little Meda isn't a weak little girl who has to hide in the back like the Demagogue. (Oh, and drool mutant is a real pain for a Summoner to deal with!)
    Farrah: Saturos came back for revenge - but unfortunately the lad playing him had clearly forgotten the power of a Summoner who Unifies others! After some mild skirmishing in the centre Saturos baited Farrah to come out and fight. Farrah obliged - summoning a host of different faction commons and playing Band Together. Saturos took 13 dice to the face........The lad won't be making that mistake twice....
    Lesson learned: Farrah will steal your friends and then beat you to death with them if you aren't careful......be careful.
    Scraven: No, this is not the legend of dinky......let me tell you about Cyrus and the Wraiths....
    Brath was the opponent, and played with Dinky constantly in mind. On the third turn a surprise Magic Strike killed one of Scraven's blockers (he was on the offensive) and a Gem Golem + Gem Archer + Call knocked him violently to five health! Forced to retreat, Scraven was constantly on the watch for a Will of The Mother Gem turn. He countered with Cyrus, several hit-and-run Flingers and a flanking Wraith. Soon Cyrus was chucking 7 dice at Brath's units and walls, while a swarm of Wraiths emerged like ghosts from the sands - tanking hits, crowding walls and boosting Cyrus to greater efforts. Despite Drek putting up a masterly defense - Brath was overwhelmed. It was all over but the shouting when Dinky (the last but one card) hit the board (with only 2av ) Cyrus snorted and said "Where have YOU been? The party's over!"
    Lesson learned: Dinky is not OP when he is bottom decked. Cyrus and Wraiths are CLEARLY OP. Cyrus can get more dice than Dinky and Wraiths are impossible to kill.
    Or maybe the lesson is that everything in these decks is OP in the right situation - and this game is amazing fun!
    Little Meda is interesting to play for sure. Sounds like that player understood how it worked, nice.
    Farrah's nightstand book is undoubtedly 'How to make friends and influence people' while Machiavelli's 'The Prince' is under her pillow. Good times.
    I haven't had the opportunity to play Scraven yet, but his deck seems like a delightful bag of tricks and shenannigans.

Loving these reports, Prelate!
    Shard the Void Mutant in The Dance of Devils
    Nicholas the Honor Guard in Light's Corruption
    Talu the REAL TWIN in The Ice Wedding

Yet another battle report!
    This time we got all Farrah obsessed - and with good reason, she is such a blast to play!
    Game one
    I took Farrah and one of the lads took Malenatar. The battle commenced - and it was savage!
    Early rush by Malenatar was the opener of the day - which involved a classic Aspirant/Commander ping-pong maneuver down the board to get a whopping 6 dice on Farrah. Fortunately only 3 landed on target, and I breathed a sigh of relief. Next turn Farrah cleaned out the goats from her back yard, whilst summoning Khan Carne (Who is now exclusively called "With Meat" by myself and the lads - they find the pun with his name hilarious ) Khan Carne slotted himself between two walls and began to tank/Betray damage onto his minions. Farrah also snuck a Disguised and Undercover Lurker into Mal's back ranks, clogging walls and threatening the goat-leaders supply lines.
    Fed up, Malenatar pulled a vicious 'Onslaught'/Commander/Aspirant multi-attack that even Khan Carne couldn't Betray his way out of! Farrah sought instant vengeance in the form of Heavy Knights and Invaders - but then Varden showed up...ooh er! 'Superior Execution' meant a free 5 dice murder fest.
    However, there was a subtle trap - Band Together and some cheap 0-cost commons killed Varden and put 2 wounds on Malenatar......the tide seemed to have turned......until a Commander + 'Unify' + Malenatar cleared the board......again!
    Finally 'Inside Information' triggered - and I slyly took a card from the lad's discard pile. Then, as Malenatar pushed forward once more, throwing a Commander into Farrah's face (1 more hp lost - oof!) that stolen card hit the table.....for the second time! 'With Meat' was back! The freshly resurrected Dugella teamed up with the Undercover Lurker (who revealed his true colours at last!) and using 'Band Together' bled Malenatar to within an inch of his life.....
    The situation was desperate......the lad drew his final hand.....and sighed. Then he suddenly noticed the combo.......and grinned.
    Onslaught on an Aspirant cleared a path toward Farrah, Malenatar moved, ditched his hand and surrounded Farrah with two Aspirants. The Oathbreaker was defeated!
    A classic game, we enjoyed it immensely!
    Lessons learned: 1) 'Inside Information' is a deadly card, and immense fun! The hilarity/frustration that ensued when 'With Meat' appeared again was priceless! 2) The power of viewing your opponent's hand via 'Undercover Agent' cannot be over-emphasized! The feeling of power/vulnerability really adds theme and strength to Farrah's deck. 3) Don't ever assume you are safe from Malenatar's goats - he has many ways of getting to you.....
    Game 2
    This time the lad took Farrah, and I took Little Meda. This match was very different indeed.
    Farrah attempted an early offensive, but could not pull her events or champs for love nor money - and so retreated after dealing 2 wounds to Nanny. In hot pursuit, Little Meda sent out Springy Muntant, Siphoned Magic with Leech Mutant, and got her economy moving with Amoeba Mutant. She also began to advance up the board in a crab-like fashion. Every time Farrah attempted to take her out, whether with Heavy Knights or range, 'Daddy I'm Scared' would jive her out of the way! The lad ground his teeth in frustration!
    Suddenly Little Meda struck! 'Look What I Can Do' stripped 3 magic from Farrah's pile - on the same turn that Tusk Mutant hit the board and charged into her ranks! Carnage ensued - but Farrah rallied and took him out with a 13 dice Band Together. She also got several wounds on Nanny and Little Meda. However, too much territory had been lost, and Little Meda cleared the board of Farrah's commons. Leech Mutant returned Tusk Mutant to her hand, and the hunt was on.
    Bloodspray Mutant herded Farrah into the path of Tusk Mutant - who gored her savagely. Farrah responded by cutting off a heavily wounded Little Meda from Nanny with a well placed wall (some Invaders could have possibly ended the game then and there - although I did have another 'Daddy I'm Scared' in hand) and summoned Mingle to help kill Tusk, without success.
    Next turn saw Little Meda pull an unnecessary but classic combo. Summon Blade Mutant 4 spaces from Farrah. Swap Tusk for Gas Mutant - Gas explodes, wounding Farrah and clearing the way. Tusk gets re-summoned onto Blade Mutant and charges once more! Overkill = 5 dice to hit 1. Result = 5/5. The Oathbreaker perished again.
    This game was fun, but brutal.
    Lessons learned: 1) If all your 'Undercover Agents', walls and 'Inside Informations' are bottom decked, you are going to struggle! 2) Farrah can still be very dangerous even when under heavy assault. Little Meda had to be very cautious. 3) 'Daddy I'm Scared' can be a right royal pain in the butt. Using this Little Meda can dance around mid-field and wreck you. 4) Don't stand in the way of Tusk Mutant - ever.
    "Shadow hide thee thief"

They wait.
    They watch.
    They win.

Yet another battle report!
    This time we got all Farrah obsessed - and with good reason, she is such a blast to play!
    Game one
    I took Farrah and one of the lads took Malenatar. The battle commenced - and it was savage!
    Early rush by Malenatar was the opener of the day - which involved a classic Aspirant/Commander ping-pong maneuver down the board to get a whopping 6 dice on Farrah. Fortunately only 3 landed on target, and I breathed a sigh of relief. Next turn Farrah cleaned out the goats from her back yard, whilst summoning Khan Carne (Who is now exclusively called "With Meat" by myself and the lads - they find the pun with his name hilarious ) Khan Carne slotted himself between two walls and began to tank/Betray damage onto his minions. Farrah also snuck a Disguised and Undercover Lurker into Mal's back ranks, clogging walls and threatening the goat-leaders supply lines.
    Fed up, Malenatar pulled a vicious 'Onslaught'/Commander/Aspirant multi-attack that even Khan Carne couldn't Betray his way out of! Farrah sought instant vengeance in the form of Heavy Knights and Invaders - but then Varden showed up...ooh er! 'Superior Execution' meant a free 5 dice murder fest.
    However, there was a subtle trap - Band Together and some cheap 0-cost commons killed Varden and put 2 wounds on Malenatar......the tide seemed to have turned......until a Commander + 'Unify' + Malenatar cleared the board......again!
    Finally 'Inside Information' triggered - and I slyly took a card from the lad's discard pile. Then, as Malenatar pushed forward once more, throwing a Commander into Farrah's face (1 more hp lost - oof!) that stolen card hit the table.....for the second time! 'With Meat' was back! The freshly resurrected Dugella teamed up with the Undercover Lurker (who revealed his true colours at last!) and using 'Band Together' bled Malenatar to within an inch of his life.....
    The situation was desperate......the lad drew his final hand.....and sighed. Then he suddenly noticed the combo.......and grinned.
    Onslaught on an Aspirant cleared a path toward Farrah, Malenatar moved, ditched his hand and surrounded Farrah with two Aspirants. The Oathbreaker was defeated!
    A classic game, we enjoyed it immensely!
    Lessons learned: 1) 'Inside Information' is a deadly card, and immense fun! The hilarity/frustration that ensued when 'With Meat' appeared again was priceless! 2) The power of viewing your opponent's hand via 'Undercover Agent' cannot be over-emphasized! The feeling of power/vulnerability really adds theme and strength to Farrah's deck. 3) Don't ever assume you are safe from Malenatar's goats - he has many ways of getting to you.....
    Game 2
    This time the lad took Farrah, and I took Little Meda. This match was very different indeed.
    Farrah attempted an early offensive, but could not pull her events or champs for love nor money - and so retreated after dealing 2 wounds to Nanny. In hot pursuit, Little Meda sent out Springy Muntant, Siphoned Magic with Leech Mutant, and got her economy moving with Amoeba Mutant. She also began to advance up the board in a crab-like fashion. Every time Farrah attempted to take her out, whether with Heavy Knights or range, 'Daddy I'm Scared' would jive her out of the way! The lad ground his teeth in frustration!
    Suddenly Little Meda struck! 'Look What I Can Do' stripped 3 magic from Farrah's pile - on the same turn that Tusk Mutant hit the board and charged into her ranks! Carnage ensued - but Farrah rallied and took him out with a 13 dice Band Together. She also got several wounds on Nanny and Little Meda. However, too much territory had been lost, and Little Meda cleared the board of Farrah's commons. Leech Mutant returned Tusk Mutant to her hand, and the hunt was on.
    Bloodspray Mutant herded Farrah into the path of Tusk Mutant - who gored her savagely. Farrah responded by cutting off a heavily wounded Little Meda from Nanny with a well placed wall (some Invaders could have possibly ended the game then and there - although I did have another 'Daddy I'm Scared' in hand) and summoned Mingle to help kill Tusk, without success.
    Next turn saw Little Meda pull an unnecessary but classic combo. Summon Blade Mutant 4 spaces from Farrah. Swap Tusk for Gas Mutant - Gas explodes, wounding Farrah and clearing the way. Tusk gets re-summoned onto Blade Mutant and charges once more! Overkill = 5 dice to hit 1. Result = 5/5. The Oathbreaker perished again.
    This game was fun, but brutal.
    Lessons learned: 1) If all your 'Undercover Agents', walls and 'Inside Informations' are bottom decked, you are going to struggle! 2) Farrah can still be very dangerous even when under heavy assault. Little Meda had to be very cautious. 3) 'Daddy I'm Scared' can be a right royal pain in the butt. Using this Little Meda can dance around mid-field and wreck you. 4) Don't stand in the way of Tusk Mutant - ever.
    Nice reports!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast