Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saturos deckbuilds

thoughts on Saturos' power:

(1) summoners you can push with board control to steamroll or assassinate: A+
    (2) summoners you can play in midfield but not steamroll or assassinate;B+/A-
    (3) summoners you can't assassinate/push and can’t play in the midfield against. C/C+

...aaaaaand (3), even(2), are the reason that Saturos is not quite competitive. It's too risky to pick him in a tournament when you may face a (3) matchup.

This is probably true. However, who are those summoners that you can't (1) or (2)? With the right deckbuild I feel like saturos has very strong midfield (blood summon, revenge!!!, vanquish and Zhant who combos nicely with Saturos blood summon and revenge). His all out rush is great vs. most factions and vs. the other decks he can play a combination of midfield control with assassination thread.

some things I noticed:
    -greater blood summon IS NOT an economic event and should be build most of the time, unless you are swarming and need the position OR are in defense and need the protection. basically you need to blood summon 2x 2 magic units, to get a discount or 3 units to get to "reinforcement" level. But combined with the high risk and the fact you then have a lot of commons on the board means not great for economy. It's similar to relentless advance - great in the right moment and for swarm/assassination style but costly.
    -revenge is fantastic and should never be build!
    -as long as you flank saturos, vanquish can be used without him crossing the mid line! You can use it as a meda "daddy i'm scared" style of play to get a lot of saturos 3AV in midfield control type of play
    -deckbuilds can tune the focus of the deck extremely (into assassination, pure swarm/all out or static play). If you want Zhant, you loose swarm power, but gain midfield control and assassination (with hunters). You then will also summon more commons than usual which means low champ cost is needed. If you want to play uriel you will most probably focus on all out or swarm type of play, as economic play is basically impossible with him.

So far I would try out Melek (efficiant stats), Child (efficiant stats and low cost + option for excessive magic), Zhant (flexibility) with hunters, drakes and a mix of shadow wariror and swordman (great reach especially with Zhant). The relatively low champion magic cost allows fast pushes/all out attacks aided by champs with great mobility. Hunter and shadow warriors allow a "muster" type of play and drakes/hunter are great for blood summon and Zhant. Midfield control is also not shabby with the efficiant champ stats and lots of magic left for commons to be aided by Zhant and revenge.

I haven't played much with Saturos, but it seems to me that Hydrake and Shadow Warriors should work quite well together, I don't know if you guys have tried it or what you think.

Hydrake could be used as a mobile summoning point for the shadow warriors (once he has taken a hit), and yet you don't want to try and counter him by closing off his possible summoning points bc he can attack all surrounding sides. That almost supplements the Hunter's once per turn ability, and Hunters (who you rarely expect to live more than a turn) cost 3 magic (incl the card), whereas Shadow Warriors cost just 2.

And for those of you who have seen how I play Selundar, I will frequently use the Hunter-Ranger combo to assassinate summoners. So I'm imagining a Saturos deck with Hydrake, Shadow Warriors, and Rangers, where the Shadow Warriors are piling on to the Summoner and Rangers are moving in to try and get extra hits.
    Last edited by Rdebruys83; 07-31-2018 at 01:47 PM.

I've tried Hydrake but had a hard time getting the magic to summon when also summoning Zhant and Gargos. I think he has a place in a matchup where Saturos has a hard time getting involved in action (against Krusk, etc.). In a matchup where you're trying to steamroll-assassinate, it's hard to get to the kind of magic needed to summon him when you're trying to control tempo. Also, as good as his ability his, in the steamroll-assassinate strategy, Hydrake's ability isn't as good at those strategies as Satara, Gargos, Melek. Those Units are even better Shadow Warrior transports because of their speed and/or ability to move through cards/units.

I’m definitely no Saturos expert, though. I haven’t played him as much as I’ve played Scraven
    Last edited by commandercool; 07-31-2018 at 08:58 PM.

Hydrake is not a bad unit and ofc can be a jump target to Shadow Warriors. A timing push build deck for SE should always consider her.

However, I do not see the specific interation with Saturos compared to Selundar who has much better tools to make her work. Similar in Melundak heavy champ build, there is a bit more synergy imo. Hydrake discourages flanking and is therefore great for timing pushes (for example a combo with into darkness + stalking advance or summon the night) and once finally brought down the magic will be denied by shadows (in Selundar). Melundak forces you to do something against her or commons will move in + potential shadow snare your summoner (and Melundak has no great other strategy ).

In Saturos I just don't see the interaction as strong. If you try to pressure early, it's very hard to get Hydrake out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12