Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Farrah Oathbreaker deckbuilds

Just realized that you can use a Reaper or Slylltaker + Preserve to get an opponent's champ into your hand. Definitely playing with one of those units

Quote Originally Posted by commandercool View Post
    Just realized that you can use a Reaper or Slylltaker + Preserve to get an opponent's champ into your hand. Definitely playing with one of those units
    If you are going to be trying that, I would actually recommend that you make a Glurbulb - Skulltaker/RS/Changling deck. You'd be able to have more than 3 of each of those units and Glurbulb would have ways to self kill units which could be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Irisches Glueck View Post
    If you are going to be trying that, I would actually recommend that you make a Glurbulb - Skulltaker/RS/Changling deck. You'd be able to have more than 3 of each of those units and Glurbulb would have ways to self kill units which could be helpful.
    That's a good point. It definitely would work better in Glurblub with a build with a bunch of Skulltakers, Rune Smiths, and 2 Savagers. You could then run Etch, Skrub, and Turt

Truthfully, Glurblub is tough for me to figure out with the new units. You can do a lot of cool stuff but I'm not sure how strong it is

i think there becomes a serious question of whether you replace SG/Savager in Glurblub with Skulltakers and 3 Rune Smith. Maybe that's my common build: Skulltakers
    Last edited by commandercool; 09-22-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Here's my current build:
    - Turt, Mingle, FLEX
    - 2 Changeling, Rune Smith, Heavy Knight; 3 Stone Golem
    - 1 Tinkerer, Priest; 3 Blade Master/CG Berserker

If I had to summarize my philosophies with Farrah so far with this deck they would be:
    (1) Waffling between "who cares about Band Together" and include 3 Blademasters to try to get a big, 8AV Band Together turn and one shot a champ. But by no means make make a greater investment than that into your deck build to try to leverage Band Together. But I may decide that the CG Berserker is better crowd control.
    (2) Get to the end game, packing at least 1 champ that's less than or equal to 5 summon cost, and 8 commons that have beef and AV. This means Augurs get crowded out. If Farrah gets to the end game she wins bc of her magic engine and access to 5 champs.
    (3) Turtle. Don't go on aggression. Not even if opportunity knocks to hit the summoner.
    (4) Don't pack Etch against really aggressive summoners and/or opponents. Rune Smith+Disguise can work for your engine.
    (5) Make sure to get out UA and both Inside Informations.
    (6) Have Mingle in your build as a backdrop against not drawing UA or Disguise.
    (7) Don't pay attention to Unity. Only use it when you absolutely have to.
    (8) Turt and 1 Priest are a must. Build the Priest unless you already have Turt out. You can get back through Changeling.
    (9) 1 Tinkerer is a must. Build it unless you have immediate use for it bc you can get it back at will with Changeling.
    (10) Against the Filth, pack 3 Shifters and don't build any of them.
    (11) third champ slot (other than Turt and Mingle) is a flex spot.
    Last edited by commandercool; 10-14-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Since prolly im going to be playing Farrah in the new tournament I decided to think about farrah. The short answer to everything is that farrah is very happy to play in open builds. And since the tournament is bo3 and we both know what each other play in the final game, Farrah should always be played as a 3rd summoner, unless you want to avoid medah, her only bad matchup of the 7 matches in the tournament.

I think farrah will have to go forward in some matchups, the reason is that while she has a very powerfull magic engine, she doesn't have the way to spend it, unlike Tacullu, tundle or Ret talus or NN. So assuming rallul units are not allowed outside of mercenaries, still vs the likes of tundle and tacullu, she needs to move forward, she doesnt have any spectacular plan with her magic. And i think those are definitly going ot be her weakest matchups. Since are not in my interest, because they won't be part of the tournament i'll be playing, I won't focus on those however it's worth noticing that Meda has a very good engine, and a superior plan with that magic and thus she has the inevitability. It all comes down, to..once you have nearly infinite magic, who can present the strongest threat, and because the nature of MEDA recycling ability, she seems to be the man for the job (or the creepy child, whatever).This matchup is important tough as they are 2 strongest decks in the final 8 summoners imo. And FarrahI think is at disadvantage because she needs to present an attack plan.

Against opponents that do not have that tough, etch is prolly overkill, she already has an engine. Once you have inevitability, you don't need MORE, you need just enough to force the opponent into action. So while etch is never horrible, she doesn't need it. Once you have the slightly more inevitability you should spend all your resources on surviving the attack. However is true that an early etch, can allow you to have like twice the magic comming in, and thus developing faster than MEDA, and maybe forcing her hand. That is a viable strat. You still need an attack plan ONCE you producd more magic than her for a while i think.
    Sadly as I say, optimal builds depends completly on opponent summoner.

I'm pretty sure tough that all Farrah builds should start with 2x Changelings and 2x rune smiths. Leaving 10 common slots to fill.
    In terms of champions, your options are uggle, Etch, Hulgorad, Khan queso, Kogar, Lukestor, Mingle, Rygos, Saella, Sairook, Urick and The seer, are all viable picks for Farrah, and really the decision is 100% matchup dependant.

From the 10 commons slots, 4x need to be filled with Farrah units or mercenaries. 1x Rune mage is never bad, and Stone golems still are the most efficient melee commons in the game, but not having faction symbols hurt, so im ok with no playing any. Lurkers have no purpose in Farrah deck. Heavy knights and Augurs work in certain specific matchups, but i would not use them in general. They are not efficient unless dealing vs very specific threats. Invaders, are suprisingly good at defense, by allowing you to do the dreaded Wall, invader, band together combo that can decimate most champions and summoners, so I would play at least 1 vs anyone, and maybe 2 or even 3 are in order. The rest should be filled with the best commons the game .

For sure you want a lot of symbols, mostly because band together is BRUTAL for defensive purposes, you can basically anhilate any champion that crosses the line. But this card also pushes for Melee commons. I wouldn't go for fancy and just try to pick between the best Melee commons in the game
    Thwarter, Defender, Siren, Brute, PE warrior, Savagers and slayers.
    Maybe combine it with Reaper which can do some nasty combos, though it may be too pretentious.
    Blademasters and Warrior angels/Cherubims should be considered, mostly because how they combo with Band together.

I think for ranged Rune smiths and changelings cover most of the role, Though Shamans and javaliners are too good to not consider. I wouldn't dismiss the idea to play Controllers, based on how good they are, and the fact they can be used with changelings, and Ballistas as "the offensive" plan vs some factions.

I think those are ultimately the only realistic options, there may be some very very specific options, based on very specific matchups, like playing Rhinos vs factions that struggle vs tough, Play elephants vs Sam, to overcome his shield, play Lioneersto try to beat tacullu, or playing Berzerkers/Storm mages To deal with tough/Shielded units, Tinkerer to deal with some annoying abilities.
    Last edited by Waterd; 08-13-2017 at 02:53 PM.

My first thought to what iw oudl play vs Saturos

Saturos will prolly rush, and generally need to go too forward. Also its bad to play cheap commons vs Saturos, or at least easy to kill.
    Champions:
    Khan Queso: For a cheap body to survive the early onslaught
    Urick: To keep Saturos in check, if saturos plays dandy, I will send urick and move saturos to a position where he dies, or send someone to saturos face.
    Duggle: Is one of the cheapest available options, and let me cleanup commons, which is big part of saturos offensive.

Commons:
    2x Rune smith, 2x Changelings: They are just too good.

1x Augur Can be helpfull vs an assasin summoner.
    2x Heavy Knight They are hard to kill and allow me to kill units without fear of REvenge, and protection from vanish is a nice bonus.
    1x Invader Surprise
    1x Defender Just too good of a common vs agressive factions
    1x Thwarter It can be so nasty to even revive it with a changeling vs some 3av champions.
    1x Blademaster It gives me the opponent symbol + Band together sickness
    1x Savager Mana sink mostly but i can send it forward and he is pretty good.
    1x Siren Too good of a common to not have in the deck
    1x Rhino Shadow elves have problems dealing with tough units. A good taget for inside information.

I feel a little bad of not having warrior angel or similar to fly over units, since saturos try to clog you, may be correct to move the thwarter, defender or even savager for a warrior angel.
    Last edited by Waterd; 08-13-2017 at 03:13 PM.

I think your thought process is good but I disagree with several conclusions. In my experience:
    - Farrah has lots of options to spend magic bc she can reliably summon 4+ champs. Just play Inside Info when when of yours or enemy champ is in enemy Discard Pile.
    - Rune Smith magic engine isn't as awesome as it seems, though it can be very good in long drawn out games, usually only about 3 magic per game, for that reason I still usually play Etch.
    - Always have x2 Rune smith and changeling
    - Stone Golem are still good bc Farrah's weakness is her ability to defend against the rush
    - Duggle is of course really good against common rush; same goes for Lukestot as long as those commons are mainly commons
    - Turt is excellent here as awesome defender
    - I do think Farrah needs at least 1 cheap champ to weather early rush bc rush is only way to beat Farrah
    - Farrah needs no extra action starter than Etch and Rune Smith engines
    - Skull Takers can work nicely as efficient defensive stopper, esp against enemy champs bc of synergy with Rune Smiths to steal enemy champs into your hand
    - Tinkerers are indeed good in some matchups
    - I really hate Augur in Farrah
    - Lurkers are ok to help early rush. Obviously Stone Golems are better
    - I think you need at least 5-6 commons that fulfill role of "good against early rush"
    - SM swordsman Is my favorite unit for band together bc of cost, Av, ability, and still relatively cheap via a Changeling summon. Cherubim is ok but useless besides band together, unlike swordsman.
    - Blade Masters are far too costly unless enemy is playing super slow draw it out game
    - I've never gone on offensive with Farrah in game I've won with Farrah. Take that for what it's worth bc I've been best player in those matchups
    - I've had the same thought about Invader, however, sucks that no synergy with Changeling so you have to try to hold in hand with the wall and Band Together. Surprisingly, I've never been able to pull this combo off. Due to Farrah's weakness and unit distribution, its harder to set up than it may seem.
    Last edited by commandercool; 08-13-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Inside info depends on having a surviving unit in the enemy territory, AT THE START of the turn, and with disguise...seems a little too optimistic to rely on that.
    I dont knwo what you are talking about, you choose teh rune smith, play disguise, return undercover agent, discard disguise, it goes back to hand, you can do this every turn for infinite magic. What im understanding wrong? You can even do it twice pero round with 2x disguise adn 2x undercover agent, how is not that awesome? It doesnt need you even to spend attacks.

Oh i forgot that turt is a mercenary, may be...may be. Specially if you can bring controllers and sirens And specially vs guys that struggle vs though units like shadow elves.
    May be the skull taker is good, i dont k now it seems gimmicky.
    Maybe swordsman is a good option.
    Blade master seems too broken with band together.
    Last edited by Waterd; 08-13-2017 at 04:25 PM.

You forget how Undercover Agent makes Inside information very easy to play

The magic engine only works by you spending the magic. So yes, as long as you spend the magic during or after event phase you can get it back into hand right away. But if you build magic at end of turn, you put other cards on top of those UAs in your magic pile so it's not always the easiest to get UA into your discar dpile. Also, you'll almost always have 1 UA in play, so you're only really recycling 1 UA. I'm not saying it's not awesome, but it's not dependable bc you may have UA or Disguise buried, too
    Last edited by commandercool; 08-13-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Skulltakers to steal enemy champ is somewhat gimmicky. That's not a good reason to play them but more a bonus reason. I play them for efficient statline and downside of killed units going underneath is offset by Rune smith synergy. Still I can understand if you prefer to not deal with downside of Skull takers or setup with Rune Smith

Blade Masters I find expensive and difficult to set up. On expensiveness, it's ok I guess if you're just summoning 1. But if you try for something like 2 Blade Masters, you also need a disguise. And you also need to have 2 in hand plus 1 Band Together unless you want to summon via Changeling. Two BMs takes lots of hand space in a deck where Inside Info clogs your hand. And again expensive, summoning either through hand or at least 1 via Changeling. Plus if you want to do 2 BMs often you'll need to disguise 1 to get any boost via band together. Not always bc maybe you surround the unit you're attacking on 3 sides and the unit you put on that 4th side is not a SE. Even then Disguise on a BM gives you even more firepower. But the likely scenario is that you get two sides on the unit...It's true you could have Disguise stashed under RS so you aren't holding it in your hand creating even more Deck clog. And will you alleviate cost of BM by summoning from hand instead of discard pile via Changeling? Then the BM has chance to become another basically champ that clogs your hand as you don't want to build it. I mean BM can throw nice AV with band together but in What I'll call the average situation, has felt to require too much setup for the value, and is perhaps not good value for the cost.

I reserve the right to be proven wrong, but again in my experience it's a lot of set up and costly, and i prefer to summon a 4th or even 5th champ.

As you mention, Turt can struggle in some matchups.
    Last edited by commandercool; 08-13-2017 at 05:30 PM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast