Thread: Sand Filth

Default Sand Filth

"Hey Driznot."

"What?"

"I'm bored. Are you bored? I'm bored. This is boring."

"I wish I bored, Brap, but I no can be bored when you talking so much!"

"But guard duty boring! I hate guard duty!"

"Just lie still. And practice on hiding. See? Blend into sand. I so good at hiding no one can see me. Or sneak up on me."

"Hey guys!"

"Wha! How you find us?"

"Stop there now, what is password?"

"Brap, we no have password."

"Shuttup, Driznot, he no know that."

"Guys, it's me, Bishy!"

"You look
    kinda like Bishy. But Bishy no have eyes all over him. And you do!"

"It still me, I just better at seeing now."

"Wow, where you get all those eyes?"

"I following new boss now. He have zappy stone and using it to change all Sand Goblins. Making us strong and powerful now."

"I no want so many eyes, Bishy."

"Not have to be eyes. Could be any kind of change. Maybe you get big nose and be more gooder at smelling. Maybe you get long tail and can swim through sand like big Wyrm."

"Hmmm, I think Brap look good with tail."

"Shuttup!"

"Ow!"

"I no want tail! I wanna be . . . bigger! I wanna be a giant! Your boss can use zappy stone to make me a giant?"

"Maybe, I dunno. You can ask him. He making Sand Goblins into all kinds of things now. Only . . . you gotta be mad. Like, really, really angry for it to work."

"Driznot can do that, he always mad at me. Ow!"

"Hold up, Brap, Krusk say we on guard duty."

"Pssh, Krusk is dumb-dumb head. I wanna be a giant. Let's go . . . maybe new boss can make you into someone not so dumb."

"Shuttup!"

"Ow!"

Fiffle, Summoner of the Sand Filth
    3 attack, 8 life, sword symbol
    Ragemonger
    Whenever a Unit you control rolls to attack, add a Rage Token to that Unit for every Miss result rolled.

Rules Card: Rage Tokens
    Some events and abilities of the Sand Filth refer to Rage Tokens. A Rage Token is a marker similar to a wound marker. When a Unit with one or more Rage Tokens on it is destroyed or discarded, remove any Rage Tokens that were on that Unit. When a Common Unit gains a Mutation, all Rage Tokens that were on the Common Unit are transferred to the Mutation.

Events

Channel Rage (x3)
    You may immediately summon a Mutation Card. For every Rage Token on the Unit being mutated, pay 2 less Magic for the Summoning Cost.

You'll Only Make Him Mad (x3)
    Instead of playing this card during your Event Phase, you may play it immediately after an opponent declares an attack against a Sand Filth Common Unit you control, before any dice are rolled. For every Wound Marker that would be placed as a result of this attack, place a Rage Token instead.

Explosive Rage (x2)
    Choose a Unit you control. For every Rage Token on that Unit, place a Wound Marker on an adjacent Champion or Common Unit. Then destroy the chosen Unit.

Rage of the Sands (x1)
    Remove all Rage Tokens from your Summoner. For every Rage Token removed, add 1 to your Summoner's Attack Value until the end of the turn.

Commons

Fiend
    2 attack, 1 life, sword symbol for 0 magic
    Very Reckless
    When attacking with this Fiend, only die results of 5 or higher count as a Hit.

"Hey Bishy, this guy is a little meanie. Oo, he try to bite me!

"Yeah, Brap, lucky for you he usually miss his target. And that make him even madderer! Oh, watch out!"

Runt
    1 attack, 1 life, sword symbol for 0 magic
    Wimpy
    When attacking with this Runt, if at least one die result of 6 or higher is rolled, after resolving the attack, destroy this Runt.

"Ha ha, Bishy, this little Goblin so small, he look like he would hurt himself if he even try to fight."

"Yeah, that happen sometimes. But it not so bad, we got lotsa them anyway. And new boss can use zappy stone to make them stronger."

Angermancer
    2 attack, 1 life, bow symbol for 2 magic
    Rage Shield
    This Angermancer cannot be destroyed unless there are more Wound Markers than Rage Tokens on this card.

"Look here, Brap, this guy get so angry it no possible for him to die!"

"How he do that, Bishy?"

"Magic."

Mutations

Furious Mutant
    2 attack, 4 life, sword symbol for 3 magic
    Raging Fury
    After attacking with this Furious Mutant, if there are one or more Rage Tokens on this card, you may remove all Rage Tokens to immediately move 2 spaces and attack with it again.

"Bishy, this one get angry if he fail, he just keep coming and coming until he hit something more harder."

"Yeah, Brap, too bad he stop being angry when he wins."

Dastardly Mutant
    3 attack, 3 life, sword symbol for 2 magic
    Cowardly
    At the end of your turn, if this Dastardly Mutant is adjacent to an enemy Unit, roll a die. On a roll of 2 or lower, discard this Dastardly Mutant.

"Bishy, you smell something? Smells like poop, but even worser!"

Gassy Mutant
    1 attack, 3 life, bow symbol for 2 magic
    Lesser Sandstorm
    At the end of your Movement Phase you may spend 1 Magic Point or remove 1 Rage Token from this Gassy Mutant to select a Unit within 2 spaces of it. Move the chosen Unit up to 1 space and roll a die. On a result of 4 or higher the Unit receives 1 Wound Marker.

"No, Brap, nothing smell worser than this one!"

Cannibal Mutant
    3 attack, 3 life, sword symbol for 3 magic
    Cannibalize
    Whenever a Unit you control within 2 spaces of this Cannibal Mutant is destroyed, you may remove all Rage Tokens from this Cannibal Mutation. If you do, remove one Wound Marker from this Cannibal Mutant for each Rage Token that was removed.

"Bishy, help, this one eating my legs!"

"No worry, Brap, new boss can use zappy stone to fix you."

Hurler Mutant
    2 attack, 3 life, bow symbol for 2 magic
    Strength of Rage
    For every Rage Token on this card, this Hurler Mutant may attack Units up to 1 additional space away.

"See here, Brap, maybe now that you all have only arms new boss can make your arms even strongerer! Throw big rocks really far! . . . . Brap, where are you?"

"I not so fast with no legs now, give me time to catch up!"

Noisy Mutant
    1 attack, 6 life, sword symbol for 3 magic
    Distracting
    When any player attacks with a Unit within 3 spaces of this Distracting Mutant, subtract one from the each die result. This Distracting Mutant is not affected by this ability.

"Oh, hi, boss. This my friend, Brap. He wanna you use your zappy stone to make him big and strong.

"Why he have no legs?"

"Never mind that, I wanna be a giant!"

"You lose legs and you no angry? I dunno, I don't think I can make you into a giant. What else you good at?"

"He good for nothing but talking. Talk, talk, talk, he never stop talking."

"Shuttup, Driznot."

"No no, I think he on to something. We just need to give you more mouths. Make you even more talky, and make
    everyone mad!

Champions

Grabby
    3 attack, 5 life, sword symbol for 4 magic
    Scavenge
    If a Unit destroyed by Grabby would be placed in your Magic Pile, instead place it under this card. Whenever one or more Wound Markers would be placed on Grabby, discard a card from under Grabby to prevent those Wounds.

"Bishy, why him called Grabby?"

"He used to be Scavenger when Krusk was boss, so he like to take everything he see. Now with lotsa arms he can take and grab lotsa things!"

Stank
    2 attack, 4 life, bow symbol for 5 magic
    Angry and Lucky
    At any time during your turn, after you roll dice for any reason, you may remove one Rage Token from Stank to re-roll one of the die results rolled. You must keep your second roll result.

"Oo, Stink is looking good. Instead of holding boomstick in arm, his arm IS a boomstick. He still lucky to rub?"

"He get angry when you rub him. So . . . rub him lots all the time, mkay?"

Driznot
    2 attack, 6 life, sword symbol for 6 magic
    Whiptail
    When attacking with Driznot, you may attack cards that are up to 2 straight line spaces away. Driznot may attack through other cards. If there is at least one Rage Token on this card before the attack dice are rolled, all cards between Driznot and the card he is attacking are also affected by the attack.

"Oho, Driznot, you finally got nice long tail. I told you you look good with tail. What you say now?"

"Shuttup!"

"Ow!"

Changelog:
    6/7/16: Furious Mutant life increased from 3 to 4. Cannibal Mutant now removes 1 Wound Marker per Rage Token (was remove all Wound Markers for all Rage Tokens).
    6/8/16: You'll Only Make Him Mad changed to work only on SF Commons. No Rune Mage shenanigans. Considering a similar restriction on Explosive Rage or maybe Fiffle's ability.
    Last edited by Clarissimus; 06-10-2016 at 11:45 AM.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Clarissimus wins the custom Alliances.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Man, great work again Clarissimus. I would love to see these developed as unofficial fan art cards (like they did with the fan art summoners). I would totally buy them.

I've got mixed feelings on Angermancer.

Also, I'm assuming you mean to leave it open for Units to acquire rage tokens even by attacking friendly units, correct?

Great job!
    Ad Hoc was Kalon The Great Uniter in Light's Corruption!

Quote Originally Posted by Thing 2 View Post
    It was probably a tactical mistake to contact Ad Hoc, but boy am I glad I did. This was one of the most fun CoRT games I've played thanks to the Great Uniter.
    Ad Hoc's SW App Player Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by Ad Hoc View Post
    I've got mixed feelings on Angermancer.

Also, I'm assuming you mean to leave it open for Units to acquire rage tokens even by attacking friendly units, correct?
    Yeah, by these rules you could acquire rage tokens by attacking your own guys, or just by attacking walls. If it turned out to be too strong it could be changed later. For example, we could say that you only get rage tokens if you fail to destroy the card being attacked.

What mixed feelings do you have about the Angermancer?

Well, I love the ability - very creative. And since you can get the rage tokens by attacking your own guys or walls, then it might balance, but my initial concern was that 2 magic was a lot of magic for a 2/1 with range that more often than not will die in one turn. For example, let's say you summon him, attack a champ and get two wounds. Next turn he probably just dies. Even if he goes 1/2 on the champ, if it's one with 3 AV then he likely still dies next turn. And, we'll likely never use this guy for a mutation. So I just don't see him hitting the board much.

His best case scenario is attacking a 1-life common (or something with one life left) and going 1/2 and getting a rage token with nothing else currently in range of him. Then he's got a chance on the following turn to be worth his 2 magic cost. I realize there's also potential for just a crazy scenario where he lives super long and the opponent wastes a lot of attacks on him, which is entertaining to think about, just not sure how many chances little Angermancer will get to pull off such a feat at current cost/stats. Idk

Maybe I'm missing something. Give me some feedback.

It was probably a tactical mistake to contact Ad Hoc, but boy am I glad I did. This was one of the most fun CoRT games I've played thanks to the Great Uniter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ad Hoc View Post
    Well, I love the ability - very creative. And since you can get the rage tokens by attacking your own guys or walls, then it might balance, but my initial concern was that 2 magic was a lot of magic for a 2/1 with range that more often than not will die in one turn. For example, let's say you summon him, attack a champ and get two wounds. Next turn he probably just dies. Even if he goes 1/2 on the champ, if it's one with 3 AV then he likely still dies next turn. And, we'll likely never use this guy for a mutation. So I just don't see him hitting the board much.

His best case scenario is attacking a 1-life common (or something with one life left) and going 1/2 and getting a rage token with nothing else currently in range of him. Then he's got a chance on the following turn to be worth his 2 magic cost. I realize there's also potential for just a crazy scenario where he lives super long and the opponent wastes a lot of attacks on him, which is entertaining to think about, just not sure how many chances little Angermancer will get to pull off such a feat at current cost/stats. Idk

Maybe I'm missing something. Give me some feedback.
    First thing, I am always concerned with cross-faction balance. Let's say he is 1-cost for 2 attack, 1 life, and bow symbol, putting him in line with a SG Shaman. Krusk and Scraven have no reason to use such a unit (unless they are already running 10 shamans, ha ha) but would Demagogue and Little Meda like to have such a Common? I think so.

The unmutated Filth commons are a little low on power for what they cost. Cultist and Zealot are pretty bad compared to things like Fencer, Hyena, even SG Bomber. Anointed is kind of a weird statline but not very good for its cost (I have seen Filth players on the Playdek app try to use them with Incanter and sometimes they set up nice formations and combos but the Incanter dies too easily and then they are back to being expensive and weak). I haven't played with Little Meda's commons but Deathseeker and Herald seem like they are in line with the others. And I don't think Dema/Meda want to use CF Prisoners; you can't reliably get them out and when they fail they make a prison pile that those two Summoners lack the events to play with.

So the rule seems to be that Filth commons are underpowered for their cost; their purpose is to be a cheap thing to get mutated. I'm ok with that, so I tried to make the Fiend and the Runt in line with those stats. The Angermancer was a little thing tacked on to play into the Rage Token mechanics and to give Fiffle some options other than just playing mutants. And in the SF deck I think they are appropriate costed, you just have to think about them a little differently.

Imagine, instead, that you had a common unit that gained 1 life point for every die roll that it missed. Pretty strong ability, isn't it? You could even summon one in your back ranks, shoot at a wall for a few turns (or maybe kill your own 0-cost commons) and gradually build up his life points. Maybe you can place him flush to an enemy wall (ala Rune Mage) where he is hard to reach. He can attack that enemy wall over and over, slowly chipping away at the wall and also slowly building up his own life.

Now consider the "You'll Only Make Him Mad" event. At a surface level it seems like an analogue for Shield of the Hopeful, but it does more than preserve the life of the thing that got attacked, it actually activates some abilities. For the Angermancer, it's healing him instead of damaging him, and healing him even beyond his max life points. A savvy opponent might attack him with 1-attack guys instead of big attacks, but you can always just decline to play the event (watch out for hand clog though). And in conjunction with the "Explosive Rage" event, you could be delivering a time bomb to your opponent that could 1-shot a Baldar or a Lun (or even a Turt!)

Even Demagogue might consider using him with Incanter Mutant for a surprise 4AV from range. It would be very expensive for Dema, but Dema has a pretty good magic economy and not much in the way of range. I don't think that combo needs to be cheaper, really.

He has a few obvious weaknesses. Negation will make him go splat. If you are being rushed by an aggressive opponent you might not have time to build up his Rage so just build him as magic. But because of the way the ability is worded he can't even die to Assassinate or Feed the Eater.
    Last edited by Clarissimus; 06-07-2016 at 04:10 PM.

Ah yes, I knew I was missing something. I didn't catch how "You'll Only Make Him Mad" perfectly interacts with the Angermancers. I think that makes perfect sense now. FWIW, I was thinking of his life point being upped by one or AV by 1 and reducing his cost. But considering what you posted above I've changed my mind. He's good where's he at.

Again, nice work CM!

These are great!
    Light cleaveth unto Light, and Filth to Filth; with pride one contemneth another.