Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep Phoenix

Default Deep Phoenix

My name is Eidos. Mark it well, for you shall hear much from me in the coming days.

Born of a Phoenix Elf mother, sired by a Deep Dwarf father. My parents had met in the deep underground passages that joined my mother's volcanic home with my father's underground domain. I am the product of their forbidden love. The Summoner Wars were raging on at that point, and my father was soon called off to war. I do not know if he fought for Tundle or Brath or any of the many factions into which the Deep Dwarf community splintered. What I am told is that my mother never saw him again.

She needed to keep my existence a secret, and so I grew up underground. I knew not the sun or the stars, but I knew the earth, and the fire within it. As a child I wandered down every dark passageway, beheld the pools of glowing lava, befriended the elemental denizens of the deep. I grew in stature and wisdom, and I exercised powers known to Elf and to Dwarf, and many known to neither. On the day I found a summoning stone, I knew my time had come.

My name is Eidos, and I send this message out to all who would hear it. Whether you are Deep Dwarf or Phoenix Elf, you are welcome to join my party. Our numbers are but small, yet already we have already won many victories. Our forces are growing, and our power is rising.

A new age is coming upon Itharia. An age of earth and fire. The strength of earth and the passion of fire are combined in my body. I burn, but I am not consumed. I am immovable, yet I move all.

My name is Eidos. Join me, and take hold of the glory that is to come!

Eidos, Summoner of the Deep Phoenix
    3 attack, 4 life, bow symbol
    Swift Fire Form
    When moving Eidos during your movement phase, you may move him up to 1 additional space. At the end of your turn, flip this card over. Retain any wound markers that are on this card.

Eidos, Summoner of the Deep Phoenix
    2 attack, 6 life, sword symbol
    Lumbering Earth Form
    Eidos can only move 1 space per turn. When an opponent rolls to attack Eidos, he only receives Wound Markers from die results of 5 or higher during that attack. At the end of your turn, flip this card over. Retain any wound markers that are on this card.

(Note to the reader: Eidos is a double-sided card. Swift Fire Form is on one side, and Lumbering Earth Form is on the other.)

Rules Card: Fissures
    Some events and abilities of the Deep Phoenix refer to Fissures. A Fissure is not considered a Unit or a Wall. It cannot receive wound markers. Once placed, it cannot be moved, destroyed, or discarded. A space that contains only a Fissure is not considered Occupied. A Unit may move through a Fissure, and may move or be placed onto a Fissure. A Wall may be placed on a Fissure. When a Fissure is under a Unit or a Wall, for the purpose of abilities and rules the Fissure is considered part of the game board and not a card under a Unit.

Events

Intense Fissure (x1)
    Place this Fissure within 2 spaces of your Summoner. You may not place this Fissure on another Fissure. Once per turn, at any time during your Event Phase, you may pay 1 magic to activate this Fissure. If you do, place 2 wound markers on any card(s) on top of this Fissure.

Overflowing Fissure (x1)
    Place this Fissure within 2 spaces of your Summoner. You may not place this Fissure on another Fissure. Once per turn, at any time during your Event Phase, you may pay 1 magic to activate this Fissure. If you do, place 1 wound markers on any card(s) on top of this Fissure, and 1 wound marker on every card adjacent to this Fissure.

Distant Fissure (x1)
    Place this Fissure within 4 spaces of your Summoner. You may not place this Fissure on another Fissure. Once per turn, at any time during your Event Phase, you may pay 1 magic to activate this Fissure. If you do, place 1 wound markers on any card(s) on top of this Fissure.

Volcanic Fury (x1)
    Search your Draw Pile for any Fissure Event Card and place it in your hand. Then shuffle your Draw Pile. You may activate any of your Fissures during this Event Phase without paying magic. Each Fissure may only be activated once during this Event Phase.

True Form (x2)
    Until the end your turn, your Summoner gains an additional ability. If your Summoner has Swift Fire Form, gain the PRECISE ability. If your summoner has Lumbering Earth Form, gain the ROCK EATER ability.

Precise
    When attacking this Unit, instead of rolling the dice, count the number of dice that would be rolled. Place that number of wound markers on the Unit being attacked.

Rock Eater
    When this Unit attacks a wall, add 1 to its Attack Value during that attack. When an attack from this Unit inflicts 1 or more wounds on a Wall, you may remove 1 Wound Marker from this card.

Enhanced Armor (x2)
    If your Summoner has Swift Fire Form, all your units gain DIAMOND SKIN. If your Summoner has Lumbering Earth Form, all your units gain OBSIDIAN SKIN. At the start of your next turn these abilities are lost.

Diamond Skin
    When a Unit with the bow symbol attacks this Unit, if at least one 6 is rolled, after the attack is resolved, place 1 wound marker on the attacking Unit.

Obsidian Skin
    When a Unit with the sword symbol attacks this Unit, if at least one 6 is rolled, after the attack is resolved, place 1 wound marker on the attacking Unit.

Deny Heritage (x1)
    For the rest of the game, your Summoner gains the following ability:
    Fixed Form
    Do not flip over your Summoner's card at the end of your turn.

Commons

Salamander
    1 attack, 1 life, sword symbol for 0 magic
    Lava Step
    After moving this Salamander, if it is on a Fissure, you may place it on another unoccupied Fissure you control and/or add 1 to its Attack Value this turn. This Salamander never receives wounds from a Fissure.

Small lizard-like creatures dart around Eidos, running up his legs, hiding in his sleeves, flicking their tongues rapidly and hissing at intruders. They are known as Salamanders, and they were among the first of the Summoner's childhood playthings. Under his magical care, Eidos has grown these heat-loving beasts to considerable size. They can move swiftly along fiery underground passages and surprise an enemy when least expected.

Fire Breather
    2 attack, 1 life, bow symbol for 1 magic
    Dissipation
    This Fire Breather cannot attack a target that is more than 2 spaces away.

"Feel your throat harden. It is clay, it is earth. You will feel no pain from the flame spewing forth. Your foe will feel otherwise."
    -- From the training mantras of the Fire Breathers

Lava Golem
    2 attack, 3 life, sword symbol for 1 magic
    Slough Off
    After moving this Lava Golem, place 1 Wound Marker on it. After attacking with this Lava Golem, place 1 Wound Marker on it.

Eidos has harnessed the Gem Magic of his Deep Dwarf parentage to create monsters of superheated rock. Fortunately for his enemies, they are scarcely able to hold themselves together, falling apart with every step of the leg and swing of the arm.

Champions

Gnart
    2 attack, 5 life, sword symbol for 6 magic
    Gem of Repulsion
    After moving with Gnart, you may pay 1 magic. If you do, you must move each Unit adjacent to Gnart 1 space directly away from him. Place 1 Wound Marker on any Unit(s) unable to be so moved.

Gnart was exceedingly ugly, even for a Deep Dwarf. Rejected by his peers, he found fellowship with the renegade band of Eidos. In a twist of irony, Gnart now carries a magical gem that physically repels those whom he deems unworthy of his presence.

Renodel
    2 attack, 5 life, bow symbol for 5 magic
    Lava Gem
    When Renodel attacks an adjacent Unit and inflicts a Wound, you pay may 1 magic. If do you so, add 1 additional Wound Marker to the attacked Unit.

Although his sister fights under the leadership of Endritch, Renodel has sided with Eidos. The Deep Phoenix Summoner has rewarded his loyalty by entrusting him with the Lava Gem, a magical weapon that can sear those far away and do even greater harm to those nearby.

Lanavirta
    2 attack, 7 life, bow symbol for 7 magic
    Conduit
    Once per turn, after attacking with Lanavirta, if she is on a Fissure, you may place 1 Wound Marker on Lanavirta to attack again.

Lanavirta was highly esteemed among the Phoenix Elves, both for her great beauty and her skill as a singer. But when she heard the call of Eidos, she devoted herself fully to his cause. Disregarding her own safety, she channels terrific streams of lava into the ranks of her enemies, even as her own life dwindles away.

Changelog
    5/18/16: Reworked the Fire Breathers because they were generally inferior to PE warriors. Instead of attacking 2/1/0 at 1/2/3 range (with 2 attack against walls at any range) they are now attacking 2/2/0 at 1/2/3 range.
    Last edited by Clarissimus; 06-23-2016 at 05:14 PM.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

I'm a big fan of this deck! Nice work!
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Some really neat ideas here! I like em. I feel like you could theme a whole deck off the flipping characteristic or changing abilities thing. Kinda like the morph ability in magic.

--runs away to steal your idea--

I feel like you could theme a whole deck off the flipping characteristic or changing abilities thing.
    I thought about doing it for other units but only the Summoner is guaranteed to start the game on the board. Anything else it would be obvious when it was in your draw pile or hand because the card only has 2 sides. Also I think it would get complicated/confusing having to flip over every card every turn and keep track of what was changing into what. You are welcome try your hand and come up with something (not that you need my permission or anything).
    Last edited by Clarissimus; 05-18-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Holy cow I love these events! And the summoner ability displays a lot of ingenuity. Great job Clarissimus!

When will you be coming out with artwork and downloadable PDF's for play testing?

Also, you've got a lot of inexpensive stuff in here. I think you could afford to change Fire Breather back. Thematically, I really liked the "reduce by each space" thing you had going on.
    Last edited by Ad Hoc; 05-18-2016 at 03:10 PM.
    Ad Hoc was Kalon The Great Uniter in Light's Corruption!

Quote Originally Posted by Thing 2 View Post
    It was probably a tactical mistake to contact Ad Hoc, but boy am I glad I did. This was one of the most fun CoRT games I've played thanks to the Great Uniter.
    Ad Hoc's SW App Player Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by Clarissimus View Post
    I thought about doing it for other units but only the Summoner is guaranteed to start the game on the board. Anything else it would be obvious when it was in your draw pile or hand because the card only has 2 sides. Also I think it would get complicated/confusing having to flip over every card every turn and keep track of what was changing into what. You are welcome try your hand and come up with something (not that you need my permission or anything).
    It would be weird. I was thinking that "morph" units would have a marking on the back of the cards saying that they are morphed but it wouldn't show the name or type of unit. So the opponent could see that you have morph cards but not necessarily what type. Then if you summon a card with the morph ability, you summon it face down so they can't see it and it gets generic stats like 1/2/1 and no ability except you can pay magic to flip it over. You could also make events that boost morphed units or give them an ability. That would be the Magic-like morph. I think what might be more interesting is if you have a "morph" pile similar to a conjuration pile. Then all "A" type units can turn into their "B" type units from the pile, thus giving you access to changeable abilities. I don't know, that's what comes to mind first I suppose. You could have event cards that allow you to "morph" for free or even morph a unit into something that it can't normally.

Quote Originally Posted by Ad Hoc View Post
    Also, you've got a lot of inexpensive stuff in here. I think you could afford to change Fire Breather back. Thematically, I really liked the "reduce by each space" thing you had going on.
    Thematically it was pretty cool, but in terms of deckbuilding I didn't want to give Prince Elien an easy target for 3-damage Spirit of the Phoenix, that's the equivalent of a 4.5 attack value and shouldn't come cheap. And when I thought about it some more I realized that Eidos has to pay magic every time a Fissure erupts, and has to pay magic to use Gnart's ability or Renodel's ability (plus if you deck build you are paying to activate Scholars, Gem Mages, and whatever). There is no Meditate or Owl Gryphon to get that magic back (well there is Etch, if you are a dirty Etch player), so expensive commons don't really fit into this deck.

I think there is design space for this in the future, there is plenty of room for more custom decks and someone can include this ability. You can also have it work the other way around; if you have ever played Enchantress from Dota you'd know her special attack does more bonus damage based on how far away the enemy is.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralRolando View Post
    I was thinking that "morph" units would have a marking on the back of the cards saying that they are morphed but it wouldn't show the name or type of unit. So the opponent could see that you have morph cards but not necessarily what type. Then if you summon a card with the morph ability, you summon it face down so they can't see it and it gets generic stats like 1/2/1 and no ability except you can pay magic to flip it over. You could also make events that boost morphed units or give them an ability. That would be the Magic-like morph. I think what might be more interesting is if you have a "morph" pile similar to a conjuration pile. Then all "A" type units can turn into their "B" type units from the pile, thus giving you access to changeable abilities. I don't know, that's what comes to mind first I suppose. You could have event cards that allow you to "morph" for free or even morph a unit into something that it can't normally.
    I would prefer to keep my customs simple; I realize not everyone has that restriction so with your own customs you can go to town with it. For me, I try to limit it to one rules card or one special weird thing per deck. For a new player who understands the Summoner Wars framework it should be easy to pick up a new gimmick or component. Something like Vine Walls or Poison Markers is not too much to learn, although even these go a bit too far I think, with all their exceptions and extra clauses. So if anything I want to put into a custom faction is more complicated than Mutations or Conjurations I'd say it should get simplified, even at the cost of making it more or less powerful than you want it to be. (You can always adjust the balance of the deck by changing the number-stats of the units involved.) Even here I think I am pushing it a bit with a Summoner who flips around and events conditional on that AND having these new Fissures that each do something slightly different.

I really like your ideas, though. I'd say get them in writing and see how you like them then. There is a big difference between thinking about something and reading it written out. (Not to mention playing a game with it, but the first step has to be writing it down.)

Great points, and I am not a dirty Etch or RM player. In fact, I still run into good players on the App who have played thousands of games and they're still running Benders with Rune Mages. I don't get it.

Anyway, do you think you'll try to actually play test some of this on Vassal? Just proxy cards etc.
    Ad Hoc was Kalon The Great Uniter in Light's Corruption!

Quote Originally Posted by Thing 2 View Post
    It was probably a tactical mistake to contact Ad Hoc, but boy am I glad I did. This was one of the most fun CoRT games I've played thanks to the Great Uniter.
    Ad Hoc's SW App Player Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralRolando View Post
    Some really neat ideas here! I like em. I feel like you could theme a whole deck off the flipping characteristic or changing abilities thing. Kinda like the morph ability in magic.

--runs away to steal your idea--
    Funny you should say that - I have a custom faction that I'm about to post that does just that! But I've yet to figure out how it would work in physical form - as Clarissimus said, you can't have every card being double-sided because it would be like playing with your draw pile face up. It would work fine in digital form, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ad Hoc View Post
    do you think you'll try to actually play test some of this on Vassal? Just proxy cards etc.
    Sadly, I haven't had much time for Vassal lately. I am playing on the app more because it's asynchronous and I can play on my phone a little at a time, I don't have to set aside a larger block in front of a real computer. My Alliances custom project is really just a design exercise for me at the moment. Maybe when all of them are done I will get serious about testing and refining them.

A lot will depend on the future of Summoner Wars and what PHG / Playdek decides to do with them. I have a yearning to make my own version of Summoner Wars Online but at long as Playdek holds the rights that's not going to hapen. Playdek as a company is really struggling and PHG doesn't seem to be interested in promoting a competitive SW scene. I think their last gasp (after Alliances) will be to release an optional (but official) "competitive ruleset" (crafted mostly by kc with the input of playtesters) for people who want to use such things at home.

When PHG was first started it was all about Summoner Wars but they have so many good titles now they don't need Summoner Wars to stay afloat. They'll probably still print it and sell it but as a casual out-of-the-box game. I think unless it gets some online support competitive Summoner Wars is just going to die. And if Playdek continues clutching the scraps of it indefinitely, it's going to be more worth my time to focus my energies elsewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast