Thread: Living Doll and Fatal Damage

Question Living Doll and Fatal Damage

Hi guys! Playing yesterday first matches, and I have a doubt about the rules and the destruction sequence, and card abilities to receiving wounds in this case...

As It could be read in the rulebook:
    When a Phoenixborn or unit has a number of wound tokens equal to or greater than its life value that unit or Phoenixborn is immediately destroyed.

From the FAQs:
    There are three steps to the damage and destruction resolution process.

If an effect places wound tokens, the steps are resolved in order starting at step 2.
    If an effect destroys a unit or Phoenixborn, the steps are resolved in order starting at step 2b.

Step 1: A unit or Phoenixborn receives damage Step 1b: Effects that trigger on receiving damage happen now.
    Step 2: Place wound tokens on the unit or Phoenixborn equal to the damage that they have received, and, if there are now a number of wound tokens on that unit or Phoenixborn equal to or greater than that unit or Phoenixborn’s life value, it is immediately destroyed.
    Step 2b: Effects that trigger on a unit’s destruction or a Phoenixborn’s destruction happen now. Step 3: A destroyed Phoenixborn’s controller loses the game. A destroyed unit is discarded.
    Step 3b: Effects that trigger on a unit leaving play happen now.

My question is:

In the case of the "living doll" if she receives Fatal damage (3 or more wounds) she is immediately destroyed... but this means according to the FAQs that it is directly into step 2b, without triggering the abilities that "whenever this unit receives damage"? or may I has the chance to use the ability if I had dice to activate the power?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
    You're still my enemy tonight. But even enemies can show respect.

Depends on how it gets the wounds. If it gets them directly, i.e. via Molten Gold, then damage was never dealt and it just dies.

If 3 damage is assigned to it, then it goes through the damage resolution process -

Step 1: Living Doll has taken 3 damage
    Step 1b: Pain Link may be used
    Step 2: The 3 damage resolves to wounds.

Upon having enough wounds to kill it, a destruction resolution process begins -

Step 1: The unit has been destroyed
    Step 1b: Summon Sleeping Widows, Final Cry, Chant of Revenge, etc. may be used
    Step 2: The unit is moved to the discard or conjuration pile
    Step 2b: Screams of the Departed, etc. may be used

Thanks for answer!

My threat was about how the unit received the wounds... if I am not mistaken I understood as you said, if the destruction occur as an effect of a card, Pain Link will not be shot (as same as the card "Put" wound tokens), but if it is as part of the combat (or an effect that deal damage) it follow the normal process and damage (fatal or not) trigger the Pain link ability.

right?

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by Petiso View Post
    Thanks for answer!

My threat was about how the unit received the wounds... if I am not mistaken I understood as you said, if the destruction occur as an effect of a card, Pain Link will not be shot (as same as the card "Put" wound tokens), but if it is as part of the combat (or an effect that deal damage) it follow the normal process and damage (fatal or not) trigger the Pain link ability.

right?
    It's not a difference between wounds and combat, its a difference between wounds and damage. They're two different things.

For instance, Molten Gold places 3 wound markers on a Unit (or PB). That's not "damage", so Pain Link doesn't work because Pain Link only works when the Living Doll receives "damage".

However, Sympathy Pain deals 3 damage to a Unit (or PB). In that case, Pain Link does work because the Living Doll has received "damage". The Doll takes damage, Pain Link triggers, and then the damage resolves into Wounds, which destroys the Doll.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Thanks also to you for the clarification Killercactus! ;-)

nonetheless very grateful to you for sharing me know