Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Errata / Changes once all 2nd Summoners are released

Quote Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
    he's aliiiiiiiiiiivveeee!!!!

So here's my list of things I'd change, though I have to say I mentally checked out somewhere around Vlox/Abua, and I really have no idea what monstrosities have been unleashed since Alliances. I come out of hibernation and suddenly the Slave Eater and Turt are broken?! Damn, I got to get some games in.

1. Freeze - "Common or Champion" The problem with this event has always been mindless Summoner spam. Cause hand clog and this event becomes interesting.
    2. Rune Mages - I say broken is broken, even if you can prepare for it. More Merc summoners are coming out, and this problem is not going away.
    3. Besiege the Walls - It's just clear that there wasn't foresight with this card for things like Vine Walls. It's also very hard to make alternate rules involving walls that don't break with this card in the game.
    4. Spirit of the Cheetah - There's just something disheartening about the ease of use of this card. The Shadow Elves pay good money for that kind of speed. Maybe I'd make it cost a magic or two just so you have to commit to assassination or bust.
    5. Divine Strength - This card hasn't been talked about much, but it's an auto-build and the lynch pin of why Sera feels so vanilla. Make it heal Champions as well, maybe even Sera.
    6. Abua - At this point, if he could boost someone's attack for free every turn, no restrictions, he'd still be worse than a lot of summoners.
    7/8. Scavengers/Reapers - Let the cards under them go to your own Magic--now you've got a common. Reapers are one of the few outclassed commons at the moment.
    9. Track - This is a personal one because I playtested Melundak, but if Track were more of a Queen card Melundak wouldn't be just another Selundar.
    10. Vlox - My idea is to increase Vlox's attack to 3, decrease his life by 1, increase his life by another 3, give him poison fangs, and the ability to copy any ability on the board, even if it's just an ability you wrote on scrap paper and put on the board.

Magic Drain and CUE's are a problem, but I've been playing with alternate "basic income magic" type rules in the same vein as Magic Walls: Those rules make commons more ubiquitous, which in turn makes it so you're actually 'catching up' more than half the time. Change the rules so people aren't groaning as they're forced to self kill, you solve this problem.
    Did you know? Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Would be a big change, but how about an ability change for Dwaf? Being that he looks kind of like Gror's little brother, how about something in a similar vein to Gror and what he already has but different?

Reverberating Blow: When Dwaf attacks a wall, other adjacent Units receive the same amount of wound markers as that wall receives. Bad wording, but you get the point.

Idea for the Stalwart Archer: Increase the AV by 1 for each friendly Unit adjacent to the Card/Unit that you are attacking.

In terms of theme, kind of the inverse of the GK; maintains a "formation bonus." But the set up is much easier.

Yes i think the stalwart archer bonus should be triggered by any common not just other archers.

I'm bored, so I'll toss around a few single card fixes:

Sneeks- Sly- At the end of your turn, you may exchange the places of any 2 Cave Goblin Units you control.

I'm going to try to be as minimalist as possible, as I always roll my eyes when I have to read someone's idea for an Ashes to Ashes event that will replace Magic Drain. The problem with Sneeks is that he's in the wrong game. Swarm is not favored in Summoner Wars, for the reason that every unit you summon is a magic point for the opponent, and because Sneeks wants to attack with 5 units but can only consistently move 3 of them. A shiny new toy is in order, which is what this game changing ability gives us. All of your champions can now use 0 costers as meat shields, thus giving relevance to all of those little gobbies running around. Blarf is actually playable because you can always pull him out of the fray when his pinata is about the burst. Basically what this ability does is give Sneeks something ridiculously good to make up for the fact that he's just got a natural disadvantage in this game.

Sera- Holy Judgment- All Priests you control add 2 to their attack until the end of this turn. Once per turn, you may reveal a Priest in your hand to add a Holy Judgment event from your discard pile to your hand.

Now I know what you're thinking--That's broken! You do realize that you're giving Sera Meditate with absolutely no drawbacks! Well sir, Sera could use a shiny new toy to keep pace with the magic gainers of the world. And we know from Dema that getting a specific card back != flipping the top card of your discard. And if Sera is healing for free at the end of the game, flipping the same Holy Judgment and flashing the same Priest that will never be played... Maybe it's time to draw her out of her hole, or maybe it's time to figure out a way for Sera not to get to the endgame so you won't be in this mess. I don't know, maybe it's broken, but it's worth a shot. But maybe, just maybe, people will also use this to get beast Priests out onto the field all the time, making Sera a force to be reckoned with.

Vlox- Assassinate- Destroy 1 common unit on the battlefield.

Gasp, I know. 2 less magic?! 4 less for the whole deck?! But... How could you? Assassinate irl is just overcosted. 2 magic to kill a common is worth it when you're about to kill an enemy Summoner, but other than that it's build bait. Costing 1 magic would be okay, but it's boring. Just give people their toys and let them play! Everyone loves a simple but endlessly complex card.

Abua- Chant of Growth- Instead of attacking with Abua Shi, choose any 1 Jungle Elf unit. Add 1 to the attack value of the chosen unit until the end of the turn.

This gives Abua a unique flavor. Back in the day he was known for being a heavy champion summoner, and those days shall be again...! Now you're building your deck around Abua's ability, using Hunters and Jungle Guards to reap the fringe benefits. Making stuff cost magic just isn't fun! Give the people their toys and let them play!

Queen Maladaria- Release the Hounds- Search your hand or Draw Pile for any number of cards named Fireling or Firebeast, reveal them, add them to your hand, then shuffle your Draw Pile. You may summon the revealed units during this Event Phase. During this turn, you may move and attack with up to 6 units.

Release the Hounds irl just feels like A Hero is Born where the PR director kept adding extraneous effects to make it appear to be different from be A Hero is Born. Release the Hounds is an awesome, forebearing name for a card, and it deserves to be a Queen card. Woops, pun. This card should inspire fear. I could see a dozen ways the card I wrote could be used in ways other than summoning a gaggle of hounds to the field and attacking, but guess what? That's half the fun. I find Queen Maladaria kind of boring and stitched together, like she was designed by committee and everyone compromised and stuck their idea in for the final product. "Oh, but we need to fix Guardians!" "And Rahlee, don't forget!" In the end she's unfocused, and in lieu of a complete overhaul a devastating Release the Hounds will do.
    Last edited by esper88; 05-26-2016 at 04:36 PM.
    Did you know? Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack.

lol at Ashes to Ashes (because that was my card). But really. Magic Drain creates some pretty unfun scenarios and should probably be replaced with something. Same with Summoning Surge and Reinforcements, but not as much. It would be cool if we didn't have to use alternate rules for magic. Makes it easier to share the game. Of course, I complain about these game slowing events too much...

ANYHOW

Stalwart Archers need something. I'd be interested in playtesting how he does when adjacent to friendly commons. Maybe that would be really cool. Or too strong? I feel like Sera specifically needs some ranged advantage to wound units before they get to her, but how would Stalwart Archers play in Sam like this? In Sam's formations, I could see Stalwart Archer consistently having 3 dice ranged. Is that too good for 2 cost? Who knows. I will playtest this one at some point.

Esper's Holy Judgment alternative feels kind of weird, but it would be cool for her to have an economic tool. I worry if this would mean that the end game against Sera would be really sad for the enemy when Sera keeps getting Greater Healing fodder. Huh. It would give her end game tools like Ret Talus. Weird to think about. What if her Hero is Born was like Battle Procurement in Malenatar, but instead it was Healing Procurement and could be returned to the magic pile at the end of a turn? I dunno. I know some people like an early Hero is Born for Leah (which is cool), but an economic option that felt more built in would be interesting.

Sneeks definitely needs help. How broken would it be for Sneeks to also be able to use his ability at the beginning of his turn OR at the end of his turn? That would be interesting, as well, although I like Sneeks exchanging any two Cave Goblins he wants as a really awesome alternative.

As a Vlox fan, this version of Assassinate would be awesome. It may be too powerful, but meh, why not? I would playtest this one if I could find anyone actually willing to play this version with me.

And yes to esper's version of Abua. I wonder if it would make some champions too powerful, so if you used it on a champion if you have to pay a magic, but I would also playtest with this one.

Queen Maldaria needs something. I, too, think Release the Hounds could have something else happen to it. But I'm not sure if that's the main thing that should be changed. What if Queen Maldaria kept her current attack value and ability but she was ranged? That would be interesting, because it makes her ability more of a formation ability and makes her the star of her own deck, making some of her events (like Phoenixes and Release the Hounds) more relevant to her board position.

As for stalwart archer fixes, personally I like the one where they get stronger when next to a friendly unit with the bow symbol. They make the most sense in Sera this way, since Sam and Moyra run mostly melee, it strengthens the light deck, and stalwart archers become useful bodyguards for Sera herself.

For now, just commenting on what others have proposed:

Sneeks using Sly to swap any two goblins is fun and thematic. Little gobos popping in and out of holes in the ground.

Holy Judgement coming back from discard I dislike. Someone earlier suggested Priests could cost 1 magic and I think that makes them a lot more viable. Also somebody suggested Divine Strength would heal every unit on the board, which sounds like a good use to me. I play a lot of Sera and I almost never use that card.

Another idea that was mentioned was Stalwart Archers getting their attack bonus from any friendly unit with the bow symbol. I think this is a good way to do it, but limit it to +1 so it doesn't become too crazy.

Agreed about removing the magic cost from Assassinate (or at least reduce the cost to 1 magic). I don't think Abua Shi needs the help after all the cool new toys he got like Rhinos, Hyenas, and Hunters, but removing the magic cost of his ability is probably fine because he already gives up an attack to do it.

Release the Hounds (the esper version) is just too long. Change it to something that is short and to the point. It annoys me when event cards or rules cards have an extra clause or two thrown in at the end. Something like, you may immediate move and attack with any number of firelings/fire beasts you control, that would be fun. Maybe not good, but fun.

I agree with Freeze, limit its use to Champions/Commons.

Besiege the Walls is easy to fix, just say "Place up to 9 wound markers on your opponents' walls. No more than 3 wounds per wall." Now it's basically the same event but doesn't wipe out the swamp. Or even nerf it to 5 or 6 wounds or something.

At some point this weekend if I am extremely bored I'll post a comprehensive list of all the stuff I would change. And I would borrow heavily from what other people have already written because you guys have some great ideas. Also some terrible and stupid ideas, but let's not go there

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

I really, really like that change to Release the Hounds. The others I can give or take.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

I feel what happend with queen maldaria is that the idea is that she would be an interactive summoner that is protected by commons and they forgot they gave most summoenrs a way to kill/move commons, making the whole idea a suicide plan.
    At least i remember on release some ex testers i saw playing maldaria midmap beign protected by commons, like if that is how it was tested, bu then dying hilariously when a taunt/lun/assasinate would remove the commons around maldaria..

I remember also on release I said fire archer is a joke, an dpeople defended it liek they always do in this forum. Up to this day nothing has happend that changed my mind, fire archer is still a joke common. I find it weird that the phoenix ELVES have the worst ranged commons in the games. In fire archer and archer. Even the minotaurs have access to better ranged commons.
    Last edited by Waterd; 05-26-2016 at 06:14 PM.

Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast