Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The "How Did Your Summoner Wars Collection Take Shape?" Discussion

Default The "How Did Your Summoner Wars Collection Take Shape?" Discussion

Just thought I'd start a thread for discussion of how players' Summoner Wars collections took shape. I guess I'll start with my own collection.

I first became interested in Summoner Wars back in 2011 (I think...?), when I came across it while researching Heroscape. I thought, This game looks fantastic!, but alas, the only items I could find in-stock anywhere were a few of the individual faction decks; this sucked because I was hoping to find a starter set. I gave up on it for a while.

Fast forward to a year or two later, when I discovered that there was an item called the "Summoner Wars Master Set" on sale at an online retailer. This is the opportunity I've been waiting to appear!, thought 20-something-year-old me, and he (I mean "I") instantly ordered it. That's when I learned that remastered versions of the starter sets were open for preorder on the Plaid Hat website, so naturally I preordered both (and ordered the Mercenaries as well). The wait for them to arrive was excruciating, but way worth it!

Last year, I found out that there were "Second Summoners" available. Brand-new decks for the first eight factions?, I thought, Sign me up! I found a local retailer who was able to get them in, and a week later, I added Sam, Sirian, Jexik and Yakiniku (I mean "Nikuya Na" ) to my collection. After a few more weeks, I got Maldy, Torgy, Bol...er...Bolvi and Fr***. At about this time I wanted to be one of the last to preorder a copy of Alliances signed by Sir Plaid Hat himself, Colby, but sky-high postage fees, amongst other reasons, prevented me from doing so. Naturally, I was devastated.

Fast forward again to last month. While on holiday visiting a friend, I decided to check some hobby gaming shops for Alliances, but no copies could be found. I almost gave up, but I decided to take one last chance and ask the cashier in the current store if it could be ordered in. I was pleased to hear that it could, to the point that I let out an enthusiastic "YES!", and thus I requested a copy. It was likely that they would get them in before Easter weekend, which is when I was due to fly home, but I could get it as a mail order if it didn't arrive in time. Luckily it did, and I flew home with the best Summoner Wars set to date.

Just yesterday, I called that same shop to order Sera, Ret, Vlox and Abua, which I'm excited to collect at last. All I'm currently missing Summoner-wise are The Demagogue (still on the fence about him) and the rest of the Second Summoners (still on the fence about Meda), and I still need the reinforcement packs, Bodgan and Sairook, but I'm getting there.
    MY SUMMONER WARS COLLECTION
    First Summoners:
    PE, TO, GD, CG, VG*, FK*, CL*, JE*, SE, SG, DD, BD, MV, SO, FF, Mercs
    Second Summoners: PE, TO, GD, CG, VG, FK, CL, JE, SE, SG, DD, BD, MV, SO, FF, Mercs
    Alliances: FP, TG, CF, VV, SC, JS, DB, SM
    Reinforcements: Khan Queso, Khexhu, Bodgan, Sairook

*=Future gift

Heh! Quite an epic tale!
    Mine seems crummy by comparison.....
    I watch the Dice Tower, and love Tom Vasel's "Top 100 games" list. He always puts Summoner Wars on there. As I tend to like (and therefore buy) what Tom likes, two or three years ago I got the Master set........and everything else.........obsessively.........I scoured the interwebs and game shops for each deck, and grabbed them, no matter the cost.
    When alliances got announced and previewed, I pre-ordered at warp speed. (I treasure that Colby-signed copy!)
    I'm waiting to do the same with the Second Summoners.....waiting, waiting.....
    I have also just agreed a purchase of the ultra rare faction dice - the ultimate enhancement to my summoner wars experience! (and possibly a source of extreme pain when my wife discovers how much they cost....
    So in short....I bought.
    Oh, and definitely get the Demagogue if you can! The Filth art is sort of creepy and their back-story is nasty (they are the ultimate bad guys...so dig that hate!) but the mutation game-play is so much fun when you get into it and start messing around! Brilliant concept by PHG.
    So in short......buy.
    "Shadow hide thee thief"

Prelate was Retch the Grotesque Mutant in "The Dance of Devils"
    Prelate was Archangel the Furious in "Light's Corruption"

These are the Vassal dice.
    They haunt your footsteps in the Vassal forums.
    They lurk in the shadows of every Vassal board.
    They hang like the sword of Damocles over the construction of every Vassal deck.
    They wait.
    They watch.
    They win.

I came up with a faction called the Glintmoon Lycans, which is basically the Filth gameplay reskinned as something I'd actually be excited to play. Who doesn't like werebeasts? I wrote a detailed origin story for their First Summoner and posted it in the customs board on here, and I even hinted at their Second Summoner and a potential alliance with the "sympathetic" Cave Goblins. Bottom line: Yes, I'd eventually like to get Mad Dema and Dame Meda ( ) for completion purposes, but I'd probably only play them as the Glintmoon Lycans.
    First Summoners:
    Second Summoners: PE, TO, GD, CG, VG, FK, CL, JE, SE, SG, DD, BD, MV, SO, FF, Mercs

*=Future gift

Heh, the filth was actually the first faction set I bought, but it all started that magical day: January 2014. A couple of friends of mine got together (we live all over the country, which is less impressive than it sounds when you compare the Netherlands to the US, baut anyway ALL OVER THE COUNTRY) for a boardgame day. We played all kinds of stuff and one friend bought the Summoner Wars Master Set. It immediately caught my eye, but as there were 6 of us we decided to focus on other board games first. Until somehwere in the evening I asked the friend who brought SW to play a game. I looked over the ecks and was immediately sold on the Swamp Orcs. Glorious mental images of orcs with cajun accents immediately caused me to berate my brain for never before having put those two words together.

Anyway, my opponent picked Tundle. We never got to finish the game (I had to catch a bus and a train) but the Swamp Orcs immediately clicked for me. Their playstyle made sense. I have since learned to avoid playing them against new players (I pick decks that I'm terrible with for that) as vine walls throw a wrench in the learning experience. Once I got the Master Set I immediately checked out what the other factions were about, where two decks caught my eye: The Filth and The Vanguards. The filth because I love me some horror movies and the disgusting character design was really creative. Besides, their toolboxyness also attracted me. Sera Eldwyn drew me in because I'm a fairly progressve-minded person and I would be damned sure that if there were lady-summoners to be had they would be had (when I read the lore on angels taht also kinda drew me in).

Imagine my disappointment when my packeage arrived and besides Dema instead of Sera I got Samuel. Don't get me wrong, I like that deck just fine, it's just that that wasn't the deck I ordered. As is turned out, the store I ordered it from didn't distinguish between first and second summoners (a lot of carefully worded emails got them to change that, but that was after I'd already found Sera elsewhere). The next one was Queen Maldaria (which as of this day is the only deck my girlfriend plays (because the queen reminds her of another firethrowing manipulative scary lady from Avatar: The last Airbender).

The rest I just sorta collected here and there, though I ordered a lot from the Plaid Hat site. Both because then I'd know for absolutely sure that I'd get the thing I ordered (which was important when I already had one summoner of a faction. I got Jexik and Nikuya Na by ordering Vlox and Abua Shi) and because a lot of sets just plain weren't available in the netherlands at the time. Which was weird.

But, I don't have any doubles (except 2 Khexhus somehow) and eventually it worked out. And I got plenty of friends and family into the game as well. So it all turned out well.
    Shard the Void Mutant in The Dance of Devils
    Nicholas the Honor Guard in Light's Corruption
    Talu the REAL TWIN in The Ice Wedding

Quote Originally Posted by Syurtpiutha View Post
    The next one was Queen Maldaria (which as of this day is the only deck my girlfriend plays (because the queen reminds her of another firethrowing manipulative scary lady from Avatar: The last Airbender).
    Oh yeah. I know which character you mean, and there's definitely a resemblance between them...
    First Summoners:

*=Future gift

Quote Originally Posted by GamerZack87 View Post
    Oh yeah. I know which character you mean, and there's definitely a resemblance between them...
    It helps that she is voice by someone who would also do an impressive Maldaria, I'm sure. Should we ever get something as awesome as an animated movie based on SW.

Quote Originally Posted by Syurtpiutha View Post
    It helps that she is voice by someone who would also do an impressive Maldaria, I'm sure. Should we ever get something as awesome as an animated movie based on SW.
    I wonder who'd voice the other Summoners and Champions in a Summoner Wars movie. No doubt Tom Kenny would voice Sneeks and/or Frick.
    First Summoners:

*=Future gift

Quote Originally Posted by GamerZack87 View Post
    I wonder who'd voice the other Summoners and Champions in a Summoner Wars movie. No doubt Tom Kenny would voice Sneeks and/or Frick.
    Let's see... of the top of my head... Just the ones that immediately jump out at me

Prince Elien: Santino Fontana
    Grognack: Kevin Micheal Richardson
    Ret Talus: Mark Hamil
    Sera Eldwyn: Jennifer Hale
    Vlox: Stephen Russel
    Selundar: Cam Clarke
    Muglugg: Steven Barr
    Tacullu: Crispin Freeman
    Demagogue: Robert Atkin Downes
    Rallul: Ron Perlman
    Samuel Farthen: Clancy Brown
    Nikuya Na: Keith David

Those are the ones that jump out at me, anyway.

I'd say Matt Mercer for Rallul. And Kevin Conroy for Gargos!

Or H. Jon Benjamin could do all the voices

EDIT: Just thought Eugene Mirman would be good for any Goblin minion. And another thought, Ricky Gervais could make a good Goblin or Orc.
    Last edited by Colgha; 04-06-2016 at 12:24 PM.
    TurtleCross Beta Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Khayzhard View Post
    Colgha, the Fern Magician
    Champion of the Rulebreakers
    Cost 6 AV 2 (bow) LP 4
    Master Ritualist
    As long as Colgha is on the Battlefield, Perpetual Events played by you cost 1 additional Magic Card to discard, AND, you can have 2 Perpetual Events in play at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncleeurope View Post
    I am attempting to understand how it could be taken that I would, in any scenario, even THINK about making fun of Colgha. Who happens to be one of my favorite companions.

Quote Originally Posted by Colgha View Post
    I'd say Matt Mercer for Rallul. And Kevin Conroy for Gargos!

Or H. Jon Benjamin could do all the voices

EDIT: Just thought Eugene Mirman would be good for any Goblin minion. And another thought, Ricky Gervais could make a good Goblin or Orc.
    I looked Matt Mercer up on IMDB and I haven't played/seen anything he may have been recognisable in. Hmm. Ron Perlman could play any type of morally ambiguous bastardy type, so there's plenty of space to fill.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast