Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here and loving the game.

Default New here and loving the game.

So I got the Master Set for Christmas and finally got around to breaking this and the original PE vs. TO and GD vs.CG sets out in my game group.

And...we're hooked! So just wanted to introduce myself and hope to learn more about this fantastic game.

Favorite Faction thus far--Benders. I loved playing blue in Magic:TG and they remind me of blue...

Least Favorite so far...Sand Goblins. I've played them 2x, and won both times, but don't like their style or am not getting them. Their events are terribly situational it seems and I never really had the magic to use Krusk's ability. Maybe I should quit trying to summon their champions???
    I used to have a desk by the window...and I could see the squirrels...and they were married...

I could..set the building...on fire...

Oh, you're a Blue player, huh? I was and still am a Green mage. But yeah, the Benders completely fill the Blue niche in Summoner Wars: mind games, trickery, and all kinds of mental havoc. It's like they're playing two games instead of one.

(Y'know, I think, if someone is predominantly a color, there should be a deck for them.

White - Shadow Elves
    Blue - Benders
    Black - Cloaks
    Red - Phoenix Elves
    Green - Tundra Orcs

I think that's the closest representation.)

How do you like the Master Set as a whole?
    The night's shadow exists, not sleeping at all,
    The toil of the light is its only call,
    Behind the scenes lurking with shadowy gall,
    Its face never showing; height never too tall.

Without a cry wherein dissent finds respite,
    The multitudes safer in the billowing light,
    More likely than not to strike evil at night,
    Then silently vanishing to be out of sight.

Really? I see it more as

Black:FK
    White:VG
    Blue:BE/CL
    Green:JL/TO/GD
    Red:PE

I always built a dual build deck in MtG, I ran a Blue/Black deck, which the Benders remind of vaguely.
    "BRA GABRAHAHAGABA"
    "(ME MUGGLUG!)"
    "And I'm Maldaria... in The Twelve Masks of The Summoner"

"Now remember... Don't spam Rune Mages and never use Rallul."
    GLISA OFFICIAL RECORD: 4th Place
    2-3 (751 Summoner Strength Points)

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by chardris77 View Post
    Really? I see it more as

Black:FK
    White:VG
    Blue:BE/CL
    Green:JL/TO/GD
    Red:PE
    This, though I think the JE are definitely the greenest, and Benders are definitely the bluest.

Dual decks?

Blue / Black - Cloaks
    Blue / Green - Tundra Orcs
    White / Green - Vargath
    Red / Black - Shadow Elves
    White / Blue - Guild Dwarves
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

The recent mtg's color wheel is so very skew, I won't use it for the sake of true color representation.

According to my ghetto mtg color wheel:

Black - Hand destruction, short term mana acceleration, short term draw power, graveyard manipulation, creature destrution.

Blue - Card control, counter, long term draw power, combo lock-down, stall.

White - Long term weenie, healing and protection, mass destruction, disenchanting.

Red - Short term weenie, direct damage, land destruction, large flyers, artifact destruction.

Green - Large ground beef, long term mana acceleration, library manipulation, token swarm.

---

With that being said:

Black - FK, CL,

Blue - BD, DD,

White - MV, SE, VG,

Red - PE, GD, CG,

Green - JE, TO, SO

Multi-Color - SG (yes I really think so lol)... I also think FL and MR belong here as well, they both scream "tool-box" to me at the moment.
    Last edited by Sauam; 01-03-2012 at 02:46 AM.

Thanks for all the positive responses!

I started MT:G running blue/black discard waaay back after 3rd ed. came out. I switch to blue/red for a tourney and won. My deck was even featured in Duelist Issue 2 (dating myself juuuust a bit). It was based around the Fork and Mana Flares with Candalabra of Tawnos (before it was banned!).
    I used to have a desk by the window...and I could see the squirrels...and they were married...

My favorite deck back in the day was GW Ernham Djinn + Armageddon. Maybe that's why I like blowing up walls?

Although if I had to pick a color, it'd be Red, usually.

I actually think the Sand Goblins are pretty control-y. Hang back with Javs/Shamans, and build most events as Magic unless you can do something really good with them, and then get into a nice defensive cycle with Silts and the cheap champs. Well, that's what I do anyway. Some other people swear by aggro sandstorm with Krusk. Their cost structure makes them have a pretty flexible continuum of champ v. common play.
    Last edited by Jexik; 01-06-2012 at 02:45 PM.

SGs have been tough for me to get a handle on so far. I really like the commons and the overall flavor of the faction, but getting that killing blow on the summoner seems a challenge. They don't really have a heavy hitter to make an oppenent afraid.

I played Cave Goblins a few days ago against Guild Dwarves and really enjoyed the hit and run feel of Sneeks and their gobbo mob feel and flavor.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Biter and Kreep aren't heavy enough for you? 3 dice is the highest most factions go - only TO, GD and FK have a 4 or higher. (without abilities) There's always Malevolence I guess.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast